JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's the ATF C&R FAQ

Here is a summary of questions that I have seen fairly often:

Can you be in the business of buying/selling firearms with a C&R?
-No. A C&R is not a dealer license

What constitutes C&R?
-Curio: A firearm specifically listed as a curio, regardless of age

-Relic: Any firearm manufactured at least 50 years ago

-Has to be in original condition

When does a C&R firearm have to be entered into your "bound book?"
-Any C&R firearm acquired while the C&R license is valid, whether or not the C&R firearm was acquired using the C&R license, 4473, or private transaction (18 U.S.C 27 CFR 478.125(f))

-When selling any C&R firearm from your collection while your license is valid, regardless of when it was added to your collection. This includes firearms that were not C&R when you originally received them, but became C&R while licensed (18 U.S.C 27 CFR 478.125(g))

Where is a C&R license allowed to be used?
-Anywhere. A licensed dealer is only allowed to conduct business in certain locations, generally the premises listed on the license and gun shows. A licensed collector does not have the same restrictions. (18 USC 923(j))

Can a C&R handgun be shipped via USPS by a C&R holder?
-No. USPS for handguns is restricted to dealers (Domestic Mail Manual, Pub 52(432.2, 432.23)). Antique handguns as defined by postal regulations can be mailed by C&R holders (although they are not firearms by federal firearm law)

When can the ATF inspect your records/firearms?
-With a warrant: any time. Without a warrant: up to one every 12 months by appointment. Can be at the address on you C&R license, or at an ATF field office at the license holders request. (27 CFR 178.23)

OREGON SPECIFIC

Can a C&R holder perform private sales/purchases at a gunshow in Oregon?
-Yes. But they still have to follow the private sales background check requirement. The only exception for gun shows is for licensed DEALERS. (ORS 166.438 - ORS 166.412)

Last Edited:
I did read it, and I updated my initial post to include the requirement that a handgun mailed between C&R holders also be an antique.

432.2(a):
Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.

Here's the rest of what you should have included with the original post ...

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

Policies, Procedures, and Forms Updates
Manuals
DMM Revision: Mailing Firearms — Clarification
Effective November 7, 2011, the Postal Service™ will revise Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) 601.12.1 through 601.12.3 to clarify the standards surrounding the mailability of firearms.

12.1.2Handguns
a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g.

g.Curio and relic collector
means an individual licensed by ATF to transfer or receive only those firearms defined as curios or relics by ATF under Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

Bottom line - you can mail C&R's.

First off, you're posting an update from 2011. The Domestic Mail Manual I've linked to is from 2014. And they say the same thing:

"a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g."

So no, not all C&R handguns can be mailed between C&R holders. Only the very small subset that also meet the definition of an antique firearm, which by other federal definitions isn't even a firearm at all.

Sorry to bruise your ego, but it's legal.

My ego has no problem here. But you are making yourself look like an idiot.

12.1.2Handguns
a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g.
Bottom line - you can mail C&R's.

I'm quoting you above...I added the emphasis on the part where you contradict yourself.

So quit trying to spread false information and confuse the situation. It's not actually legal for a C&R holder to mail or receive a handgun. To take the issue another step further, I'd argue that under the federal definition of a firearm, you can't mail a handgun at all. The postal regulation defines a firearm differently than federal law. What the postal regulations call an antique firearm isn't a firearm under federal law at all.

I could say the same about you, but I have better manners and respect the TOS of the forum.
Since you are only reading and emphasizing the part you want and an internet professor - perhaps you should consult your local postmaster, assuming he/she has a clue.

I emphasized the part that you posted, that specifically says you can't mail a C&R handgun unless it also meets the definition of an antique, which is not a firearm under federal law, only postal regulation. Please learn how to read and comprehend.

I'm only trying to help others. You are saying incorrect things and trying to muddy the issues in order to elicit a response, which is the general definition of what a "troll" does.

Again, you only read what you want and stop without reading the whole thing.
I read and comprehend just fine, don't push me big boy. That's twice you have not minded your manners which I know you not do if we were face to face.

....under 12.1.1g.

g.Curio and relic collector
means an individual licensed by ATF to transfer or receive only those firearms defined as curios or relics by ATF under Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

Bottom line - it's legal.
If you don't think so - don't do it.

You are the one that continues to misread and misunderstand the regulation. 12.1.1g only defines what a C&R holder is. It doesn't say what you can or cannot do within the postal system. 12.1.2 specifically says that handguns cannot be mailed between C&R holders (defined in 12.1.1g) unless they are also antiques. Antiques are not firearms under federal firearms law, but they are still restricted for mailing in postal regulation.

It's not legal. Don't keep telling people that it is.

Yes, UPS/FedEx etc. for C&R are fine, as long as you follow their corporate standards/policies.

As far as the point of a C&R license, the point is you don't have to go through a dealer/background check for every C&R purchase. There are only some issues with how you can ship/receive some items. With a C&R you could be out of state and make a C&R pistol purchase (as long as state law allows it). With C&R you could have any C&R firearm shipped to your house. But if you want a C&R handgun to come via USPS, it has to go to a dealer. The dealer will likely charge a transfer fee, and they may or may not accept a C&R license to perform the transfer without a background check or 4473. That is their prerogative as a business. So check carefully if you decide to use a dealer. Or just have a C&R handgun shipped to you via UPS, FedEx, etc.

Thanks. I redacted my earlier post because I wasn't quite sure what the actual question or misunderstanding was about and didn't have time to re-read at the moment.

I had posted that using a different carrier would alleviate the USPS/postmaster issues and if it didn't then whats the point of a C&R. I have been considering a C&R for a couple months thinking I would get my $30 worth over 3 years but just haven't gotten it done yet. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The best 30 bucks I've spent in a long time, I only purchase from wholesalers/importers so how it's shipped is their liability. I have no control over that. Never gotten a gun from them shipped USPS, pretty much their SOP. Personally I don't trust the USPS. If you are so cheap you feel you must use them to save, what? 5 bucks? 10 bucks? Have at it.

My minimum purchase level is 2 guns from them, it spreads the shipping costs out. Keep a careful eye out, occasionaly they offer deals on shipping, of course with some caveats like minimum order amounts.

The best 30 bucks I've spent in a long time, I only purchase from wholesalers/importers so how it's shipped is their liability. I have no control over that. Never gotten a gun from them shipped USPS, pretty much their SOP. Personally I don't trust the USPS. If you are so cheap you feel you must use them to save, what? 5 bucks? 10 bucks? Have at it.

My minimum purchase level is 2 guns from them, it spreads the shipping costs out. Keep a careful eye out, occasionaly they offer deals on shipping, of course with some caveats like minimum order amounts.

I got a few parts from Brownells under the dealer cost for C&R holders, found a coupon for free shipping. $30 paid for itself right there.

Is a C&R still valid if you move to another state? I've looked around a bit but couldn't find an explicit answer. I would assume so as long as you update the ATF accordingly but again have not been able to verify.

Is a C&R still valid if you move to another state? I've looked around a bit but couldn't find an explicit answer. I would assume so as long as you update the ATF accordingly but again have not been able to verify.

Doing a search it looks like you just have to notify the ATF of the address change with this form
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5300-38.pdf

I think if I was moving, I'd give the local ATF office a call just to make sure I did everything that was needed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top