JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One time on the side of the road with the WSP, the officer asked if I was a LEO or military. I told him neither and he gave me a little grief on why I don't need a weapon in my car, and promptly gave me a ticket. But most of the time they just appreciate it so if they happen to catch a glimpse of it they won't draw on you, or be overly cautious.

But in the end, you don't have to legally inform them.

SO let me get this straight... if you had been a LEO, I can see his "logic" to a point... but according to his logic if you WERE military, it would have been ok for you to have a weapon in the car with a CPL... why, in case we are attacked by ze Germans? Wudda Dumb-A.. my retort to his "grief session" would have have been, "because I can, and that's his PERSONAL opinion".

I had a littl difrrent type if run in with the tualitin pd. My car broke down on 217 I was on the shoulder waiting for the tow truck. I was standing behind my vehicle when a cop pulled up behind me. He asked if everything was ok and if I had a tow on the way, I didn't tell him I had a chl or that my pistol was in the glove box. He never asked for ID or insurane he went back to his car to run the plates he them asks if I am Mr.Snyder I say "yes sir" he then asks if I am carrying today I reply again "yes sir in the glove box" that was it. We then proceed to chat about what I carry and what he carries when he is off duty very nice guy. I probably got treated a little diffrently since I wasn't being pulled over but he never ales to see my chl or anything tow truck came and I was on my way. Just thought I would share my story. I gues every situation is different.

Putting aside whats 'right', whats 'required' or whats 'constitutional', I think that showing LE your CHL shows them that you are one of the good guys.

If it doesn't, then you likely have had the mis-fortune was being stopped by a Hillary Clinton/Nancy Polsy fan and nothing is going to 'help' you! :(

Frog.

Been pulled over once since I've had my CHL. Let the guy know I had CHL and was reaching for my wallet in the front pocket and not the firearm at my waist. He said that he appreciated me letting him know. Had a nice chat and he wished me a nice day.

Are you required to say something. Nope. Will I. Yep.

-d

Putting aside whats 'right', whats 'required' or whats 'constitutional', I think that showing LE your CHL shows them that you are one of the good guys.

Wrong! As I said, logically he should assume I'm one of the "good guys" and that therefore I am armed! You are swallowing the propaganda, that as Americans we need a piece of paper to exercise our right to keep and bear arms. You also share the assumption that having a gun means you are probably one of the "bad guys". Being a good citizen means you are armed! You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. It's clear that unless I'm engaged in felonious activity I have a right to carry (With one of the unconstitutional permits) and he doesn't need to know I'm armed. I'm no more dangerous being armed than he is!

Not showing a LEO my permit does not mean I don't respect him, as I and others have said, my possession of a permit has nothing to do with the stop!

Not required in Oregon and for me it is not asked, don't tell.

Some places like Portland the second you tell them it will get you out of your car, hand cuffed, and your weapon seized while they "verify" everything. It is easier to let them to find out after the fact when they run everything and decide if it is worth waisting the time or get on your way. If the officer is going to be an a-hole, it doesn't matter either way.

BS.Just simply isn't true.They appreciate it when you let them know that you have a permit and that you are carrying

My take is if it is only a trafic stop, then **** no, don't say a word. Now if it is a stop for something more serious, then yes. But in the latter, you have bigger concerns.
Last time I was pulled over I had my Sig on my hip, as well as my double mag pouch. I had more ammo on me than he did. Was rockin' my zombie killer mags, 61 rounds total. Not to mention enough firepower and ammo to wage war on a small country in the back of my truck.
He checked my DL and Registration, and said good day, and let me continue on my way. Never even a whiff of where I was headed.
That is just me, though.

They appreciate it when you let them know that you have a permit and that you are carrying

Have you thought out why that would be? Let me tell you so you can change your thinking about it.

Some police are on a power trip, they have to be the top dog over at least any lowly "civilian". The surest show of power is a gun.

Some police are afraid all day of getting shot, they know intellectually that it won't be a permit carrier who shoots them it will be someone who doesn't give a fig about the law. But they still want to have control over anyone else who might legally posses a gun, even if they have no right to know nor any reason to fear.

The cop in Yuma I talked with said "Well, you never know what someone will do when they get a ticket". Now that one is really lame! I'm going to risk everything including my life, and the quality of life of all the people who depend on me, to kill a cop so I won't get a $200 ticket? :s0112:

But maybe you know of a legitimate reason? I don't think so or we wouldn't be allowed to keep and bear arms. The real overall reason some police want to know is so they can feel power over you. Hello? They DO have power over us! Why the need to overdo it?

But they don't have power beyond the constitution, some don't like that little constitution thing. :winkkiss:

Excellent! Someone actually get's it! There is no permission slip to be a good guy! The NRA (CC only with permit) propoganda is amazing sometimes.

Wrong! As I said, logically he should assume I'm one of the "good guys" and that therefore I am armed! You are swallowing the propaganda, that as Americans we need a piece of paper to exercise our right to keep and bear arms. You also share the assumption that having a gun means you are probably one of the "bad guys". Being a good citizen means you are armed! You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. It's clear that unless I'm engaged in felonious activity I have a right to carry (With one of the unconstitutional permits) and he doesn't need to know I'm armed. I'm no more dangerous being armed than he is!

Not showing a LEO my permit does not mean I don't respect him, as I and others have said, my possession of a permit has nothing to do with the stop!

BS.Just simply isn't true.They appreciate it when you let them know that you have a permit and that you are carrying

They also appreciate when you admit guilt. Officer "Do you know how fast you were going?" You "Too fast....70mph (in a 55)"

I look at it slightly different. I think having my chl shows them that I am one of the good guys.

Whether 'you or I', it lets LE know that the person they are speaking with has a clean back-round, for whatever that might be worth, during the given circumstance.

However, I was a 'good guy' before I had my CCL, and never thought that I needed a license to prove it. Nor do I now.

Frog.

Yo Partsproduction,

I think it's just a difference in our thinking. I've never thought of it as, 'them against me'.

I don't agree with a lot of the laws. Many of them, especially gun laws are ridicules and threaten our rights. No argument. I never voted in favor of any of them, and I'm pretty sure you didn't either. Yet, we have them.

So, do you want to be right, or do you want to get your cookies?

Remember, the LEO didn't make the laws either. He's just got the job of enforcing them so he can feed his family and pay his mortgage. Some bad ones? You bet. But if you deal with them on the 'positive side', it's more likely they will do the same in dealing with you.

Frog.

Remember, the LEO didn't make the laws either.

True, but remember, there is no law about showing them our CHL, so if they are getting offended or hurt somehow it's all in their heads. I'm not one to honor hurt feelings that someone makes up out of thin air or police locker room chat. If there is a law and I break it that's another thing.

Speaking of other things, when my CHL was sent to me it came with a big sheet of paper telling me to tell the officer I have a CHL and that I'm armed if I get stopped. Well, turns out that was just on their "wish list". I have a long wish list for police, they don't get all maudlin about not caring about my wish list or being concerned about my feelings.
But the fact that they included that sheet with the CHL will stand forever as a good enough reason to never tell them, for me anyway, because I don't like being lied to even if it's only by implication.

If I lie to the police I'm in big trouble, but if police lie to me that's OK, it's just part of the job. I doubt if anyone other than lawyers lies more on a daily basis than police. :D

But Frog, please explain to me exactly why police get upset if I don't tell them. Why do they need to know? If it's a legitimate reason I'm suggesting that we shouldn't have the RTKBA, and if people just go whacko on a regular basis and start shooting people who haven't done anything to deserve it why do we even allow cops to have guns much less citizens?

What I'm saying is that the fact that someone is secretly armed in my presence should not be any of my concern as long as they don't shoot me, and that goes for police as well.

I really feel that if the percentage of CHL holders and gun carriers among law abiding citizens went up ten thousand percent we would all be better off.

Police should hope every law abiding person they share this world with is armed, they should get angry to find out they aren't armed, that the rest of us can't count on them. (Slackers!)

Finally, I know I'm not getting the point across well, I have trouble saying things strongly and clearly to the point, but here goes again;

If police get upset that I don't "warn" them that I'm legally armed there must be a reason. Someone please tell me what the reason is. If I'm a black belt or kick boxer do they have a right to know? Should that be on the license?
Could the reason be that police don't trust us? Should we trust police? In fact we are constantly being told to trust police, it's about time that police start to trust us. I'm expected to trust that he won't shoot me and make up stories about how I attacked him, he should trust me that I won't shoot him too.

Last Edited:
I think that it is kind of like a Fireman not caring if someone has Aids or not. Who cares, treat them all like they could have Aids.

Do you seriously think that a cop takes a deep breath and will thank you if you tell them you are armed? Ridiculous.

They should treat every stop as if everyone is armed.

If you are wondering around me in a dark parking lot do you think that I care if you really are armed or not? To me you are and I couldn't care less if you tell me you are or not.

It true Partsproduction, there is no 'law' saying you must show your CCL with your license during a traffic stop. And yes, there is no 'law' that says you must tell the officer you have a weapon in your vehicle.

I'm speaking from the side of least resistance. Showing the officer my CCL is no skin off my back. And it may be an 'plus' for me in any given circumstance. No, I don't have to, but doing it can only work in my favor.

Heh, I hear your side 'loud and clear'! There are two sets of rules out there. Those for us, and those for them. Fair? No way! Maddening? Damn right! But sometimes it's easier and more productive, to pick your way through the s***, rather than trying to shovel it all out of the way. :D

Frog.

"It's just my opinion but if you have nothing to hide then why not be upfront about it?"

If I am not breaking any law then why do you need to know anything about me? How often is (well I stopped him for a lic plate light and found out... he had $300 in cash so it was drug money or...) used ? If you want a police state where they control your life then just keep telling them everything about it.

jj

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top