JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know what the legalities are in regards to shipping a firearm across state lines? I have shipped a rifle and had no issues, but I think the laws are a bit different with a handgun. Do I have to go through an ffl?

Well if you're asking if you have to ship from an FFL, no, you can take the handgun to the shipper (ups, ect) yourself, but it cannot be shipped ground, so it must go air, usually next day or 2 day. (which is why it costs more). But most likely they will ask to see a copy of the FFL that you're shipping it to (just like shipping a long gun).

Curious about your comment here. I have never used Paypal. Have there been problems with people not getting paid for guns when they used Paypal?

Paypal is a scammers playground. The buyer can put a hold on the funds after your ship with a simple email, Paypal will go into your linked checking account and take the money back after they have transferred it to you. I'm not saying that everyone using Paypal is a scammer quite the opposite, but there are plenty people that use Paypal to scam others every day of the week. I have had so many people try to scam me with Paypal that I simply refuse to accept Paypal anymore.

Paypal is a scammers playground. The buyer can put a hold on the funds after your ship with a simple email, Paypal will go into your linked checking account and take the money back after they have transferred it to you. I'm not saying that everyone using Paypal is a scammer quite the opposite, but there are plenty people that use Paypal to scam others every day of the week. I have had so many people try to scam me with Paypal that I simply refuse to accept Paypal anymore.

That's good info to have. Never used them before and definitely won't use them now. Thanks.

They're also anti-gun..........And will freeze your accounts if they suspect a firearms or ammo transaction.........

PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
Last Update: Oct 14, 2009

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/AcceptableUse_full

You are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal's services, regardless of the purpose of the use. In addition, you must adhere to the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy.
Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation

relate to sales of (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (e) items that are considered obscene, (f) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (g) certain sexually oriented materials or services, or (h) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (i) ,certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law

I sold a guy in TX a police scanner. He could not figure out how to use it. And subsequently decided it was broken. He complained to Paypal. They zapped my account and gave this moron his money back.
I had literally no say in the matter.

Well if you're asking if you have to ship from an FFL, no, you can take the handgun to the shipper (ups, ect) yourself, but it cannot be shipped ground, so it must go air, usually next day or 2 day. (which is why it costs more). But most likely they will ask to see a copy of the FFL that you're shipping it to (just like shipping a long gun).

I also found out that (for fed ex) you had to bring it to a distribution center. You cant go to those little drop off stores.

I didn't need to provide any FFL, but I was shipping to Glock...

u can ship bother over state lines if your shipping to the owner

Actually that's not completely true. You can ship a rifle to yourself in another state. Say that you wanted to hunt in Alaska next week. You can ship your rifle there ahead of the hunt, then ship it back home when you are done. Just make sure no one else opens the package.

A gunsmith or other business can't ship the gun to you even if you are the owner. It will need to be shipped to an ffl holder first, then transfered.

Actually that's not completely true. You can ship a rifle to yourself in another state. Say that you wanted to hunt in Alaska next week. You can ship your rifle there ahead of the hunt, then ship it back home when you are done. Just make sure no one else opens the package.

A gunsmith or other business can't ship the gun to you even if you are the owner. It will need to be shipped to an ffl holder first, then transfered.

Actually you can ship to gunsmith or manufacturer for repairs or service, and they can ship directly back to you, No FFL..........

I'd just add that it's hit or miss with UPS shipping. Regardless of their stated policy, few employees I've dealt with seem to know it. Many simply say they can't ship firearms, and are done with it...

Actually you can ship to gunsmith or manufacturer for repairs or service, and they can ship directly back to you, No FFL..........

I can't see where it says that at the batf. I know you can ship in state both ways, but out of state and back changes the rules. I'm not talking about what people have gotten away with. I thought there were different rules under Federal Interstate Commerce.
:huh:

I can't see where it says that at the batf. I know you can ship in state both ways, but out of state and back changes the rules. I'm not talking about what people have gotten away with. I thought there were different rules under Federal Interstate Commerce.
:huh:

<broken link removed>

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful --

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that --

(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

Wow some off info but all cleared up looks like.
1) NO PAYPAL- you risk a BS chargeback which paypal just says OK to, or you risk them closing your account for gun sales. not worth it.
2) check ATF FAQ.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads