JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm thinking of trying to add a shipping option to a handgun I'm selling here and maybe try crossposting it. I'm a 03 FFL so I think maybe I can ship it priority maybe not to a ffl dealers? Their rules seem cintradictory based on other fourms talking about it. If not how annoying is it to do via FedEx and does any FedEx location do it or like ups I have to go to specific ones? Also in Oregon what do dealers roughly charge to deal with it? Im used to having to ship so it's not a big deal more the cost if it's worth shipping or if I should just wait till I move to sell in Texas. Thanks for any help.

shipmygun is a viable option, but really.... if you are planning a move to TX soon... why even bother with it? Shipping is still expensive, risky and transfer fees associated.

Private party in TX costs/risks none of the above and would allow you to put more coin in your pocket to boot. No real downside if you can afford to be patient.

shipmygun is a viable option, but really.... if you are planning a move to TX soon... why even bother with it? Shipping is still expensive, risky and transfer fees associated.

Private party in TX costs/risks none of the above and would allow you to put more coin in your pocket to boot. No real downside if you can afford to be patient.
I'm kinda leaning to unlisting and waiting as I know I can easily get more there anyways. Plus I am getting really sick of people wanting my number to text ask days available and ghosting. When I visited my friend in Indiana he flipped and traded half his gun collection in the dollar tree parking lot over a week. I've decided with most of my higher end guns to wait but if shipping is affordable like $25 I'll just crosspost it and sell it and if not I might unlist it and wait. Mainly want to know if I can do usps and if not what does FedEx charge and can I go to any FedEx location or like ups does it need to be specific ones. (Ship my guns suggests 39$ so unless usps 03 ffl can ship or if dealers don't decide to charge for shipping too much I might have my answer.

Last Edited:
....but if shipping is affordable like $25 I'll just crosspost it and sell it and if not I might unlist it and wait. Mainly want to know if I can do usps and if not what does FedEx charge and can I go to any FedEx location or like ups does it need to be specific ones. (Ship my guns suggests 39$ so unless usps 03 ffl can ship or if dealers don't decide to charge for shipping too much I might have my answer.
It get's complicated, but really... IMHO, the easiest and cheapest option for an individual without commercial accounts with USP or FEDEX is shipmyguns.

USPS... only FFL's can ship handguns. Typically the cheapest option between USPS, UPS and FEDEX.
UPS... firearms can ship from a UPS customer center, so long as it is being shipped to an FFL, but not from any of the UPS store locations. UPS store's are restricted to FFL to FFL shipments only.
FEDEX... you can ship so long as it's going to an FFL

Both UPS and FEDEX are RIPPIN expensive for an individual without a commercial account. You're better off using a local FFL with an account... and expect to pay ~$50+ (depending on weight and destination).

shipmyguns is basically just providing individuals access to their UPS commercial account.. much like an FFL would be doing... but with a much lower service fee than most FFL's. Saving 10 bucks (+) is 10 bucks, right. They send you a prepaid label with instructions and tell you where to drop it off. Done and done.

FEDEX... you can ship so long as it's going to an FFL
Actually, ONLY FFL"s (or federal, state or local government agencies) can ship firearms via FedEx.

From their firearms shipping policy webpage: "Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx."

Back in January of 2022 FedEx followed UPS in changing their fireams shipping policy so that ONLY FFL's can ship fiearms via Fedex. (I used to use FedEx a lot to ship firearms to FFL's when selling to private sellers - so I was pretty bummed out when they changed their policy.)

Here's a link to their current firearms policy shipping page.

FedEx Firearms Shipping Policy

Cheers.

Last Edited:
Actually, ONLY FFL"s (or federal, state or local government agencies) can ship firearms via FedEx.
Good to know. Thanks!
I guess that shows how long it's been since I shipped one with fedex, hu. :D

I stopped using them when they first changed their policies and more than doubled the price for those that didn't have a commercial account with them.

SMG has been a reliable and fairly affordable alternative.

From their firearms shipping policy webpage: "Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx."

Back in January of 2022 FedEx followed UPS in changing their fireams shipping policy so that ONLY FFL's can ship fiearms via Fedex. (I used to use FedEx a lot to ship firearms to FFL's when selling to private sellers - so I was pretty bummed out when they changed their policy.)

Here's a link to their current firearms policy shipping page.

FedEx Firearms Shipping Policy

Cheers.
Well a 03 FFL is a Federal Firearms License and I possess a active one. So does that mean I can use usps and FedEx and UPS or only certain ones? Usps seemed vague and that's the main one I am wondering about. I am a Federal License holder I just need to know if they exclude certain ffls.

Well a 03 FFL is a Federal Firearms License and I possess a active one. So does that mean I can use usps and FedEx and UPS or only certain ones? Usps seemed vague and that's the main one I am wondering about. I am a Federal License holder I just need to know if they exclude certain ffls.
Hi there.

You "replied" to my post in your post, so I'm not sure if you're asking me directly, or if the question is rhetorical.

Be that as it may: I am not an FFL and don't have an answer to your questions. I would suggest contacting the shipping companies directly to get your answers.

Good luck.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany