JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm considering buying my first 22. Priority is robust ammo handling (hear so much about 22 misfeeds/FTE!), and good target accuracy. I am impressed by reports of Ruger Mark IV ease of takedown, and am strongly considering it. I would love to hear any advice on which Mark IV to consider, and any considerations or recommendations you might have.

Thanks in advance!

I've got a Mark IV 22/45. I've had Ruger 22 targets from Mark I to III.
Also owned about 15 other 22 pistols - currently have 5 different models of 22 pistols: striker, SA, DA/SA, internal hammer.
Ruger Mark IV is most reliable, consistent, accurate of all of them.
And the Mark IV takedown is 1000% better than the old take down method for Marks I thru III.
It would be a great first 22LR ... and easy to sell later if you need to.
Good luck.

I've owned many, probably shoot all of them.

Precision in 22 means less reliability.

More reliability means less precision.

Bulk ammo is all over the place. Powder charges and or primer charges between one round to the next can be extreme. Finding a pistol that shoots it all can be a fight in itself.

The MK series is a good blend of precision and reliability. As are the Browning Buckmarks and SW Victory line.

Not so accurate, but reliable, the TX22 is my go to 22lr pistol. I sold off all others and now only have 2 TX22s.

I'm curious if the newer red dot version is more precise. I've not shot that one much other than shooting a fellow TCGC members. Very nice having the red dot on there.

Best of luck narrowing things down! 22 is my favorite thing to shoot and it is highly enjoyable when you find something that allows you to plink without fighting ammo.

Thank you Washagonian and Reno, great perspectives!

I realized that the Mark IV has two grip angle types - their standard (more angled) and the 22/45 (mimics the 1911). I'm used to Sig classic P-series pistols - which grip angle would you expect would feel more familiar?

I have old Ruger Mark Series pistols, and the new mark 4 22/45. This is a fantastic pistol. And why this wasn't engineered 30-40 years ago??? Anyone who's owned the old style Mark series knows about takedown/re-assembly fun. (Damaged thumbnail?? Jabbed thumb??). So many neat options with the new version. Remember it's a rim fire. It will need cleaning regularly. Ie after the range. They Carbon up and slides and bolts start sticking. Nature of the beast.

Thank you Washagonian and Reno, great perspectives!

I realized that the Mark IV has two grip angle types - their standard (more angled) and the 22/45 (mimics the 1911). I'm used to Sig classic P-series pistols - which grip angle would you expect would feel more familiar?
Unfortunately the more upright grip is plastic. It is a much more comfortable grip and very similar to a 1911. The other is more like a Luger, if you have ever held one, can be kind of awkward. Yet the Luger ones are metal. I wish that Ruger had figured out a way to make the 1911 style ones in metal as well. The metal ones are really nice. I'd recommend going to the store and holding one of each.

I own eight Rugers, IIs, IIIs and IVs.

Pre Mark IV Rugers can be a challenge for reassembly, however with lots of experience....friends and a local gun store call me for help. There are some great youtube videos on reassembly points.

The Mark IVs are awesome. Prices will vary with the 22/45 normally the less expensive. Mid-price range will have sheet metal lowers. The slab target and hunter editions will be more expensive because the lower frame is machined along with a better spring loaded magazine release.

I have played with Buckmarks, and they are OK.

Not a fan of Smiths, after doing a week of Scout Camp pistol shooting with them. Ruger easily trumps Smith for reliability.

If you go with Ruger, upgrade some or all Volquartsen or Tandemkross parts.

I've been shooting a Ruger Standard since 1970 or so. Been stripping it and reassembling it since I was 10 or 11, which was just a couple of years later. The reassemble is a little quirky, but not that difficult if you're paying attention. I love that pistol, so much that I have another one I bought last year. If it got down to me owning only one 22 pistol, the first one, which Grandpa bought new, would be the one.
If you're looking at one of the MKIV's, I say buy it. Great little guns.

I really like my 22/45 mk4 …a lot…would definitely recommend. yeah the bottom half is polymer but you can put g10/aftermarket grips on them. Tons of aftermarket support. Only gripe was the charging handle but the halo ring fixed that issue. As accurate as the shooter and hasn't been too picky on ammo.

Keltec p17 is another one we've kept it feels kinda cheap since it is incredibly light, but it's run like a champ on everything we've fed it so far and you don't even notice it hiking its so light.

We've had a few different rimfire handguns over the years, one of the disappointing ones was the p22 -it was ok accuracy wise but very picky on ammo and a real pita to tear down and throughly clean (and when it was dirty it was even more unreliable)

5020C0B8-18CB-4544-97A2-19B498CE4AAE.jpeg

I like my Buckmark. It's plenty accurate to head shoot Grouse. My Wife has the S&W Victory and once we figured out the it likes 40gr bullets over 1200 fps it has been fun to shoot.

I just sold a Mk4 Hunter and picked up a Volquartsen Scorpion in the 22/45 configuration. I love the Hunter, but it wasn't threaded, so I sold it. I had the Volquartsen upgrades in the Hunter though, it was great. I could hit 6" steel 10/10 at 50 yards offhand.

I don't like the polymer lower for some reason, just personal preference.

IMG_20211213_124129531.jpg

Last Edited:
I like my Buckmark. It's plenty accurate to head shoot Grouse. My Wife has the S&W Victory and once we figured out the it likes 40gr bullets over 1200 fps it has been fun to shoot.
I bought a Buck Mark couple years back and I've never once got it to cycle a full magizine. It's a straight lemon I really need to send it back some day. I know the buck mark is known to be a great little pistol but I just got some bad luck on it.
That Ruger Mark IV looks sweet! Buy that bad boy.

Something a little different to consider: a Ruger GP100 (10 shot) or SP101 (8 shot) revolver in 22lr. No mags. Super reliable. Not to mention the super good looks. You could also look for a Ruger Single Six convertible (changeable cylinder) to shoot 22lr and 22 mag with. Any of those have been around forever, are built like tanks, and sip ammo rather than gulp it. True, you can't really suppress them, but it's a whole different experience than a semi auto.

I love me some 22 and you can't really go wrong with a name brand in semi auto, revolver, rifle, or whatever. Good luck and enjoy the journey. Try and rent or borrow some to try out before you buy.

Side note, I also love my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and have a Taurus TX22 to take out and see how it runs. So many great options.

In my Rugers Ive had exceptional performance out of old fashioned federal lead heads. Also CCI's line. Aguila makes pricey but accurate stuff as well. Almost all my FTF/FTE and failure to fire have come from the bulk series 500 loose rounds in a box ammo. Remington made an Obama era 555 rounds in a plastic box. Terrible stuff. I could bank on 1-2 rounds per mag not going off. Solid rim strikes from the firing pin. Winchester makes the only subsonic that will cycle my bolts. If you can find it. CCI Had a great YouTube video on its manufacturing of .22 ammo. very cool

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top