JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just happened to check a rarely used CC the first week in March to find a $1790 charge on it. Knew it was not me and immediately called fraud at B of A and cancelled the card. They blocked the charge>>>forward 30 days and I get a letter that they denied my claim and sent me copies of the paperwork.

Well I look at the 'invoice'. The company is a multibillion $$$ petro-chemical company in Houston. I emailed the (BofA never contacted them) Sr VP of Operations with certain info. He responded that they don't even take CCs for billing services......Looked further, the invoice number was #000001 ..... Evidently that wasn't fishy enough to pique a fraud investigator's curiosity......reopened the claim.

End result is NEVER rust a bank to be on your side. No one cares for you like you do!
There is a REALLY simple way for those who are worried about this. I have 3 cards and all 3 of them allowed me to set up alerts for their use. One is set to $50 and above, the others $100 and above. When I or Wife use them I get an alert while still standing at the counter before I can even get out of the store. Buy stuff on line and the alert is here before the e-mail is here. So for those who just never bother to look at the account and may "miss" stuff. Your bank will probably offer to set up alerts for you.

If they are then they will not be able to take plastic. Wonder if maybe it is just used to harvest card info then and sell it? If so that's an interesting way to get that info.
Not sure of the what or the why, but there are plenty of sources saying it's a scam. I wouldn't trust it.

Not sure of the what or the why, but there are plenty of sources saying it's a scam. I wouldn't trust it.
I only use a couple places I have LONG used so will not effect me. I am sure it will not be long till we read someone here saying they ordered from them using some other payment service and of course lost their money. They will then be all pissed off that they insisted on using some system to pay they had been warned was not safe. :s0092:
It has been strange to see how many people seem to want to get taken. :s0092:

1714622354126.png

I only use a couple places I have LONG used so will not effect me. I am sure it will not be long till we read someone here saying they ordered from them using some other payment service and of course lost their money. They will then be all pissed off that they insisted on using some system to pay they had been warned was not safe. :s0092:
It has been strange to see how many people seem to want to get taken. :s0092:
"You can't cheat an honest man..." Most of these sites prey on people looking for that too-good-to-be-true steal of a deal.

I have usage alerts on all my cards (including debit), and I also keep my (few) CC's in a frozen status, then unfreeze it just before I (rarely) use it, then freeze it right after I complete the transaction.

Just paid the $2,200 balance tonight from airline tickets I purchase two weeks ago….. had to wait for my "cash back" reward to register first, and then paid zero interest because I don't carry a balance through a 30-day billing cycle.

Dave Ramsey would still chew me out, though. :D

I would not use the fact that they take plastic as an indicator that they are legit.
As I have said really will not effect me as I only use a couple places I have used for years. There seems to be a LOT of people who for some reason want to dig up new places and ask here. As with all "info" people seek on line it tends to be worth what you pay for it. :s0092:
So only "advice" I ever offer is for those who want to "try" some "new place", is pay the safe way. They can't rip you off if they take plastic no matter what stories anyone tells. The protections for Credit Cards in the US are amazingly good. Now if people choose to use them outside of the US? They are taking a risk. Even worse is the ones that for reasons I can't fathom want to use some other payment system and then cry when they of course get burned. Too each their own, I prefer not flushing money down the crapper. :s0092:

FYI from USPS--
TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - The United States Postal Service is warning of a scam involving text messages that ask for information in order for a package to be delivered.
USPS says the text scam is a phishing scheme that sends fake messages claiming there is a problem with delivering a package. The message then asks for payment, fees or personal information, or it directs the recipient to a fake website that mimics the official USPS website.
According to USPS, it does not send text messages about unclaimed packages and warns consumers not to click on any links or provide any information. The best course of action is to delete the message.
You can report spam messages by clicking here.

FYI from USPS--
TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - The United States Postal Service is warning of a scam involving text messages that ask for information in order for a package to be delivered.
USPS says the text scam is a phishing scheme that sends fake messages claiming there is a problem with delivering a package. The message then asks for payment, fees or personal information, or it directs the recipient to a fake website that mimics the official USPS website.
According to USPS, it does not send text messages about unclaimed packages and warns consumers not to click on any links or provide any information. The best course of action is to delete the message.
I have gotten a handful of those last while now. Both text and e-mail. Have just ignored them figuring it was some site that was next going to scam.

FYI from USPS--
I have gotten a handful of those last while now. Both text and e-mail. Have just ignored them figuring it was some site that was next going to scam.

I've gotten these too. There is something really scammy looking about them. I don't remember what it was. It also helps if they come on a day when I'm not expecting a package.

I've gotten these too. There is something really scammy looking about them. I don't remember what it was. It also helps if they come on a day when I'm not expecting a package.
Same. I've gotten them in group text format, which is fishy enough alone, but the url is always wrong, usually something misspelled or a variation of US Parcel Service.
Here's one example
Screenshot_20240502-193356_Messages.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews