JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We all know the inherent dangers of reloading....

Id have to say that it goes beyond over/under charging

I was using a Lee hand priming tool, as I have for 15 years... priming some .45acp cases.

Sometimes I get a little resistance with my Sellier & Bellot brass, primer pockets are tight. Never an issue. I just give a little more pressure and its all done.

I thought that was the case here... So I gave a little more pressure... and the primer ignited and maybe a couple more???? It blew up in my face... got a couple cuts on my nose.

After making sure I still had a face, I went back and found the priming tool... the cover had been destroyed, probably what cut my nose?

Anyhow, here it is..... Good thing I didnt get shrapnel in my eyes. :eek:

On another note, these were Federal 150 large pistol primers... seems they were out of spec and the tight S&B cases were not the issue. I found the primers were deformed and had trouble in all cases, in fact it was a Winchester case which was in place when it blew.

Closer inspection, there were many that were not perfectly round. The edge would catch the side of the primer pocket and tear apart when I compressed it. This was my last pack of them... thank God. I wont be using Federal Primers again

20190204_124204.jpg

Holy bubblegum! Glad you're ok!

I can't figure out how one set off the others with that type of set up!

Have you contacted the manufacture?

I'm always a little wary pushing primers, never had one do that though. I've had a couple crushed w/my Dillon progressive, somehow got in sideways, can't really feel it a whole lot w/a big handle. I use a hand primer for everything I load on the RCBS, so far so good. Like you I've done many 10k's of them w/out an issue, so far.

Glad you O.K.!

Glad you are ok!!!
Two things, if I'm working with primers, I have glasses on (should really keep them on the rest of the time).
Second, although I don't use this model, I've seen in numerous places that Lee says not to use Federal primers. For the Lee Auto Prime there is this warning in the instructions:

"However, all types of FEDERAL BRAND LARGE PRIMERS frequently caused the entire tray to explode with sufficient force to cause serious and painful injuries. These primers must be fed individually, see step 7, single priming option."

Glad you are OK.:):):)

Just a suggestion but when you first had trouble maybe you should have taken the measurement of some of your primers?:)

That's the one I use as well but I have always worn safety glasses or glasses with shatter proof lenses

Last Edited:
Wow! Glad you're okay. I have a similar hand primer (RCBS), may have to consider putting on safety glasses when priming myself. Thanks for the heads-up.

Glad you are ok!!!
Two things, if I'm working with primers, I have glasses on (should really keep them on the rest of the time).
Second, although I don't use this model, I've seen in numerous places that Lee says not to use Federal primers. For the Lee Auto Prime there is this warning in the instructions:

"However, all types of FEDERAL BRAND LARGE PRIMERS frequently caused the entire tray to explode with sufficient force to cause serious and painful injuries. These primers must be fed individually, see step 7, single priming option."
:eek: Holy cow! Never read that before!

From the picture it looks like the original Lee priming tool...correct? Maybe thats why they redeisgned their priming tool? I don't care for the new design (seems to jamb up sometimes)
Thanks for a good safety warning!

I've had that exact thing happen, one time out of tens of thousands of rounds loaded. Coincidentally it was also a .45 acp, but I was using an RCBS hand prime tool. I don't recall the type of primer.

The brass was a military crimped case as I recall, one that hadn't been fully decrimped. I used extra force to push the primer in; it kind of popped past the crimp and detonated. The RCBS tool I think is a little safer in that it has the safety bar, so only the one primer went off. My ears were ringing and my wife was really startled, but otherwise no harm done.

It sure wakes a guy up, reminds you that you're actually handling explosives. Really small ones, but explosive nonetheless. Since then I'm now very cognizant of how I'm holding and using the tool, and never force a primer that doesn't want to go. I don't typically wear eye protection, but maybe I should. That's not a bad idea at all.

That's scary. I had a primer go off on me on the press once. It's pretty nerve racking especially when one progressive station away is a tube full of powder... I am now much more anal about making sure all my brass is properly swaged

Definitely an eye opener... Not as bad as a negligent discharge, but makes you rethink habits just the same

Pretty good blast... My son heard it in the house..... Didn't come out... Either has great confidence in me or doesn't care :D

I carefully finished off the Federal primers tonight, never again!

I used to use and still have my original Lee Auto Prime with the round primer tray but I switched to the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool.

rc_90201_handprimingtool_r.jpg

Not only is it safer because it separates the primer tray from the primer being inserted, but it doesn't need shell holders. The case is held in place with spring-loaded jaws. It also seats the primers a little deeper than the Lee Auto Prime. The square primer tray also makes it easier to load from a square box of primers. RCBS took Lee's original idea and improved it.

EDIT: The Lee Auto Prime instructions give a warning about Federal primers:

Screenshot_2019-02-05 PT1023 pdf.png

Last Edited:
I used to use and still have my Lee Auto Prime but I switched to the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool.

View attachment 545139

Not only is it safer because it separates the primer tray from the primer being inserted, but it doesn't need shell holders. The case is held in place with spring-loaded jaws. It also seats the primers a little deeper than the Lee Auto Prime.

That's the one I have, it works really well. Nice not having to deal with shell holders.

Geez, that looks scary. I'm glad you still have your face and eyes!!!! I will always wear my safety glasses when I'm working on stuff in the shop, but only some of the time when reloading ammo. I'll be sure to grab them next time I'm at the bench. Thanks for sharing you experience with us!!!!! I always prime from my press attachment, but i'm sure people have blown a primer going that route too. Better to be safe than sorry...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top