JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is a Fan Hammer the opposite of a Ban Hammer?
1640918884804.png

I bought my the same color Wrangler quite a while back. A few weeks ago she got to shoot it for the first time. She really liked it but the hammer routinely wouldn't lock back on the same spot on the cylinder each time. This reminds me that I need to contact Ruger for thems to make it right.

I shot one of mine today for accuracy. I didn't take the time to shoot more than a couple 6-shot groups. I'll have to take more time with it later. My first group was out at the berm, just under 40 yards. It measured around 5". I then moved the target to 25 yards, and shot a 4" group.

I had previously shot my other Wrangler for accuracy at 25 yards a while back, with nearly identical results. Yeah, not great. I consider 4" @25 yards to be usable for what it is, but definitely nothing to brag about. I did shave the front sight to get it shooting to point of aim.

My Rough Rider will easily do 2.5" at the same distance. I did figure out the keyhole flier problem with the Rough Rider- the design is such that you have to deliberately cock the hammer all the way back for the timing to advance and lock correctly. If you're taking careful aim, and slowly cock the hammer just so that it's fully cocked and ready to fire, but not all the way back to touch the frame, then the cylinder won't be fully lined up. The bullet will enter the oversized forcing cone crooked and you'll get a keyhole flier. Works fine if you realize it, but seems like a bit of a design flaw to me.

I don't need another gun right now....
I don't need another gun right now....
Have to keep telling myself that.
Good thing is that my OE grips were uncomfortable enough on my Wrangler that I put on a Hogue 83000 grip the same day I picked it up. Not sure how comfortable the birds head would be for me.
View attachment 1101440
That gun looks like my toddler when she puts on my shoes.

I know that the Shopkeeper Bearcat had issues with a too-short ejector rod that didn't fully push spent shells out.... Does anyone know anything about whether this might be the case with these new birdshead 3" barrel Wranglers as well?

I know that the Shopkeeper Bearcat had issues with a too-short ejector rod that didn't fully push spent shells out.... Does anyone know anything about whether this might be the case with these new birdshead 3" barrel Wranglers as well?
For $10 more than Wrangler MSRP you can find out. :D I'm sure there's going to be a stupid mark-up for a bit. Wranglers for $199 retail while the Birds Head will probably go for $250

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top