JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I measure a fired case to the shoulder using a case comparator and then bump it back 0.002" to 0.003". I tried bumping less and even just neck sizing, but found I like the assurance that the round was going to chamber no matter what out in the field.

Accuracy does not appear to change for me from the initial firing to any subsequent firings where the case has been fire formed. That held true for me even when just neck sizing. To be fair, my .308 with a crappy factory Remington barrel had an oversized chamber in the neck diameter and the distance to the lands. It was probably not an appropriate barrel to test those things.

That barrel has been switched to a Lilja in .260 chambered with a fairly tight reamer. I still full length size every time and it delivers 1/4 MOA pretty consistently.

I measure a fired case to the shoulder using a case comparator and then bump it back 0.002" to 0.003". I tried bumping less and even just neck sizing, but found I like the assurance that the round was going to chamber no matter what out in the field.

Accuracy does not appear to change for me from the initial firing to any subsequent firings where the case has been fire formed. That held true for me even when just neck sizing. To be fair, my .308 with a crappy factory Remington barrel had an oversized chamber in the neck diameter and the distance to the lands. It was probably not an appropriate barrel to test those things.

That barrel has been switched to a Lilja in .260 chambered with a fairly tight reamer. I still full length size every time and it delivers 1/4 MOA pretty consistently.

You're actually talking about two different scenarios and each is different. If shooting a rifle with a "generous" factory chamber, fire forming and then minimal sizing is beneficial for case life. Also offers more capacity and what used to be a compressed charge is no longer a "crunchie" with some powders.

If you have a custom chamber, with minimal extra space, full length sizing doesn't end up working the brass near as much as when shooting in what you called a "crappy factory Remington barrel".

FWIW, I have one of those crappy barrels on my 5-R Milspec and 1/4 MOA is very consistent. I only neck size while bumping the shoulder back .002". I use a Forster Shoulder Bump/Neck Size Bushing die and have had ZERO chambering problems. This die doesn't just push back the shoulder, it also "sizes the OD of the shoulder where it joins the case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top