JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Moving to a new place where we will be keeping an eye on a large ground at night, about 100 Acres or so. Since its almost all no lights out there was going to get a set of glass that works to see at night. Don't need something "ninja" not going into battle here, just want something that would let me see if there is someone I need to chase off or if its just 4 legged critters I hear. So, was looking at something like this? Know absolutely zero about this stuff.

These show they run on standard batteries so I can just recharge them. Any down side to these compared to something else?
[h3][/h3]

CREATIVE XP Digital Night Vision Binoculars for 100% Darkness - Save Photos & Videos with Audio – 4x35 mm Infrared Spy Gear for Hunting & Surveillance – Large Screen & 1000ft Viewing Range – 32GB Card

PVS 14 with a Crye Night cap and a magnifier for the 14. Its important to use nvg's in conjuction with movement so being able to go hands free is important. The night cap is good for short durations and isnt what i would call "ninja" And the magnifier lets you see farther if you want to observe at a distance.

Thanks that does give me a good idea of what I could expect with something like this. Looks like I could certainly tell if I was looking at a 2 legged or 4 legged critter at 100 yards or so which I could live with for the price these sell for.

That FLIR really does suck...bad. One of my skillsets is being a certified Thermographer using the tool for non destructive testing of buildings as well as building commissioning. That being said, we bought about the lowest end TI I could stand dealing with, and that being the AGM Taipan TM25. If I was to do it again, I would have bought the one with less zoom.

Mrs308 likes the TI, but I prefer the NV. Each has it's weaknesses, for example we have night camouflage and while it can defeat the NV, there aint no hiding from the TI. On the other hand, all one need do to defeat the TI is hide behind glass or a reflective surface of some sort.

Thermal:

NV:

View attachment 990599

View attachment 990600
Cool set-up. Is that a laser range finder attached to the PVS14?

It's a light. 3-intensity Red/Blue/White/IR
Your links seems to have some other embedded address -

XXXXs://go.skimresources.com/?id=61132X1383839&isjs=1&jv=15.2.1-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.northwestfirearms.com%2Fthreads%2Fquestion-about-night-vision-gear-what-works-what-is-a-waste-ect.379991%2Fpage-4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticsplanet.com%2Fstreamlight-sidewinder-compact-ii-military-flashlight.html&xs=1&xtz=480&xuuid=a0e7c73f4334d1de1fc198109dbe0488&xjsf=other_click__auxclick%20%5B2%5D

Is this the diamond level ?

Your links seems to have some other embedded address -

XXXXs://go.skimresources.com/?id=61132X1383839&isjs=1&jv=15.2.1-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.northwestfirearms.com%2Fthreads%2Fquestion-about-night-vision-gear-what-works-what-is-a-waste-ect.379991%2Fpage-4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticsplanet.com%2Fstreamlight-sidewinder-compact-ii-military-flashlight.html&xs=1&xtz=480&xuuid=a0e7c73f4334d1de1fc198109dbe0488&xjsf=other_click__auxclick%20%5B2%5D

Is this the diamond level ?
I'm not sure what any of that is. Here is the light description:

l82ygygfi5981.jpg

What do you consider the lowest end of good night vision weapon scopes? I've been thinking about getting one but am pretty clueless on what is good versus all the cheap garbage on the market.
IMO the cheapest good night vision that isn't a crapshoot I'm talking gen 2 tubes etc. are gonna be photonis echo gen 2.5 2+ or whatever they call it. you can usually find them for 21-2400$ if you look and are the baseline. Id expect to pay around 2400+ for a good gen 3 pvs 14 I would avoid buying from optics planet or AGM as they are known to be bubblegumty tubes with questionable warranties and specs. Good reputable dealers are TNVC, Steele Industries, and Gooningear.

IMO the cheapest good night vision that isn't a crapshoot I'm talking gen 2 tubes etc. are gonna be photonis echo gen 2.5 2+ or whatever they call it. you can usually find them for 21-2400$ if you look and are the baseline. Id expect to pay around 2400+ for a good gen 3 pvs 14 I would avoid buying from optics planet or AGM as they are known to be bubblegumty tubes with questionable warranties and specs. Good reputable dealers are TNVC, Steele Industries, and Gooningear.

gooninger is very reputable. Personally, pay the extra couple hundred bucks for a gen3 pvs 14 if you can only afford a monocular. There is a significant step up in light gathering and clarity. It will hold its resale value better or be a more competent back up. WP is get all the press but don't be afraid of green especially starting out.

I would avoid buying from optics planet or AGM as they are known to be bubblegumty tubes with questionable warranties and specs.
I've not heard that about OpticsPlanet. Reports about OP seem to indicate average quality, with a reasonable return policy, but they are known for selling things they don't have and sitting on your money for months before cancelling your order. That hasn't been my experience but I respect that I've heard that story several times.

gooninger is very reputable. Personally, pay the extra couple hundred bucks for a gen3 pvs 14 if you can only afford a monocular. There is a significant step up in light gathering and clarity. It will hold its resale value better or be a more competent back up. WP is get all the press but don't be afraid of green especially starting out.
Yeah and some people prefer green over white although a minority which is why I usually recommend people try and look through both first before buying. I also agree at least in the US where we can actually buy gen 3 there is little point trying to go gen 2.5 or 2 unless your really on a budget and need that white phosphor for some reason.

Yeah and some people prefer green over white although a minority which is why I usually recommend people try and look through both first before buying. I also agree at least in the US where we can actually buy gen 3 there is little point trying to go gen 2.5 or 2 unless your really on a budget and need that white phosphor for some reason.
What confues me is when people go gen 2 WP. Spend the money to go gen 3 green then see if you can afford WP

It also doesn't help that people go out and spend 3k or more on bubblegumty tubes with no spec sheets from questionable sources and then complain how bad of a value gen 3 is.
This is also true. Do your research and get a warranty. My 14 was purchased 3rd part but had 8 years left on the warranty, emailed the manufacturer with the info and they confirmed it was genuine and under warranty.

I have bought two PVS14s from Optics Planet and both are excellent. One is green and one is white phosphor. TNVC may be better or so they say, but they are 26 weeks out on delivery. Also, OP has discount coupons like 'daily2a' for 5% off and after spending $$ with them, I was surprised that just by speaking with them directly they were willing to give me a significant discount on another product. My$0.02

I have bought two PVS14s from Optics Planet and both are excellent. One is green and one is white phosphor. TNVC may be better or so they say, but they are 26 weeks out on delivery. Also, OP has discount coupons like 'daily2a' for 5% off and after spending $$ with them, I was surprised that just by speaking with them directly they were willing to give me a significant discount on another product. My$0.02
What were the specs which type of tube IE Elbit l3 green or white and how much did you pay for them?

Saying budget and gen 2 or 3 tubes reminds me that peoples budgets differ considerably lol….I say budget and mean gen 1 or 1.5/surplus gear etc. (stuff that costs hundreds not thousands)…stepping up to that price range id expect high quality stuff.

The reference to AGM, do they not make good night vision? Never used any starlight/night vision from them but I've got one of their thermal imaging rifle scopes- a "rattler" mid range and I was impressed (stepping up from scout scope handhelds and iSeek 😂). It is a little buggy in the operating system but the imaging is pretty clear and it has good range (someday I'll actually take it out shooting lol)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top