JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's the list. Never heard of this "boyfriend" loophole, are we going to have to register our relationships now?

With the 2017 Legislative Session starting tomorrow, it is time to take action to let Governor Kate Brown and the Oregon Legislature know preventing gun violence is a priority for all Oregonians.

On average, one Oregonian dies every day from gun violence. There are simple, proven policies that can reduce gun violence while also preserving the rights of individuals. The Oregon Alliance for Gun Safety has identified four crucial priorities and we are demanding action from our legislators:

• Establish an Extreme Risk Protective Order. Give families and law enforcement the ability to petition the court to temporarily remove firearms from a person in crisis who is a danger to themselves or others.
  • Close the "Boyfriend" Loophole. Oregon has strong protections to remove guns from domestic abusers, but we need a broader definition of "domestic relationship" to include unmarried couples and others.
  • Close the Charleston Loophole. Right now, a dealer can sell a gun after three days, even if the background check isn't done. Instead, require that the background check be completed before a dealer hands over the gun.
  • Require Safe Storage of Guns Around Kids. If someone fails to safely store a firearm and a child gains unintended access to it, they should be held responsible for what happens next.
Sign our petition now to tell Governor Kate Brown and Oregon Legislators we expect them to take action to reduce gun violence in 2017. We know these leaders have been with us in the past, but it is vital they hear from us today. Our opponents are already dialing up their rhetoric and it is vital our champions know that we have their backs.

Oregon Alliance for Gun Safety
http://www.oregonallianceforgunsafety.org/

My brain...It hurts when I try to compute their logic.

The temp. Court order I hear would have an ffl put said guns in his books. Probably forced on him with no compensation.

We don't need a broader definition of domestic partners...The law already handles none married folks just fine. If Mr.smith beats his gf for an imperfection in his sandwich, he's going to get jailed and charged the same.

Its 2017... It's called technology. We have it. If an agency can't decide in three days if a person is approved, maybe it's time they question how osp is utilizing their time/do they need more help? anti's won't be happy until their locked in a safe, underground, wrapped in chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to beat this back, be sure to donate to the pro-gun organizations, we're gonna need OFF and the NRA to get into the fight this year...

We already have enough regulations on the books, let's try enforcing what's already there...

Would rather see the legislature do something about the homeless epidemic in Oregon or the 100+ people killed in Oregon last year by drunk drivers...

These dirtbags will be coming up for election within the next two years, they need to understand we will not forget what they're trying to do to us...

We need to beat this back, be sure to donate to the pro-gun organizations, we're gonna need OFF and the NRA to get into the fight this year...

We already have enough regulations on the books, let's try enforcing what's already there...

Would rather see the legislature do something about the homeless epidemic in Oregon or the 100+ people killed in Oregon last year by drunk drivers...

These dirtbags will be coming up for election within the next two years, they need to understand we will not forget what they're trying to do to us...

Couldn't agree more. I swear the trend is to include guns into every possible argument.

School funding..."but...But, guns"! Oregon needs an audit..."no! Guns"! Let's do something to get kids with bad homes off the streets..."toddlers are killing people with guns"!...That last one was something giffords used.

What is most interesting in this is that they are not asking for an AR or Mag ban. You know they want one. This would indicate that their legislator friends told them these were a no go and they don't want to push a bill and be defeated. Gov Brown dropping her proposed mag ban due to 'not enough interest' seems to confirm that the anti politicians are backing off. Maybe they paid attention on how the gun grab platform played out for Hillary. However, I would still be surprised if Ginny Burdick does not submit an AR/Mag ban bill. She has every session for as long as I can remember and was ticked off last session when they did not go to the floor for a vote.

What is most interesting in this is that they are not asking for an AR or Mag ban. You know they want one. This would indicate that their legislator friends told them these were a no go and they don't want to push a bill and be defeated. Gov Brown dropping her proposed mag ban due to 'not enough interest' seems to confirm that the anti politicians are backing off. Maybe they paid attention on how the gun grab platform played out for Hillary. However, I would still be surprised if Ginny Burdick does not submit an AR/Mag ban bill. She has every session for as long as I can remember and was ticked off last session when they did not go to the floor for a vote.

I agree. Having not enough interest is them saying something is in their way. It's as simple as that. They will never give up until they get a ban...So I wonder what it really was.

I'm thinking we have old school Democrats who are proud of Oregon and know a ban is too far for them. That or their afraid. I'd like to think us Oregon boys wouldn't roll over like the rest.

I moved here 5 years ago from NY after the military to have my rights as freely uninfringed as possible. It's just my luck all these hipster kommifornia wannabe vegan gun grabbers go into full swing as I get here.

The boyfriend loophole as they so awesomely put it is redundant because if you are accused of a domestic violence charge or violent assault at all it prohibits you from getting a firearm. Same with restraining orders. When will these gun grabbers see that overwhelming majority of gun violence is from criminals with illegal firearms that these laws won't affect...

Brought to you by the same people who want the police to be disbanded and have to less power but want to be safer as well as being anti establishment but want the govt to tuck them in and tell them they are good activists...

The boyfriend loophole as they so awesomely put it is redundant because if you are accused of a domestic violence charge or violent assault at all it prohibits you from getting a firearm. Same with restraining orders.

Actually, the Oregon legislature already expanded the definition of Domestic Partners significantly a few years ago. God only knows what they will now consider to be a "domestic" partner. If you go out on a date with a lady one time, does she then become your "domestic partner"? Originally, the law was only supposed to refer to someone who was actually living with you.

However, Oregon law has already gone well beyond that. Here is how current Oregon law defines what a "family or household member" is:

ORS 107.705

(4)"Family or household members" means any of the following:

(a)Spouses.

(b)Former spouses.

(c)Adult persons related by blood, marriage or adoption.

(d)Persons who are cohabiting or who have cohabited with each other in the past.

(e)Persons who have been involved in a sexually intimate relationship with each other within two years immediately preceding the filing by one of them of a petition under ORS 107.710 (Petition to circuit court for relief).

(f)Unmarried parents of a child.

============================================

As far as I am concerned, the above current law is already way too broad and overreaching. Now simply dating someone and being a "boyfriend" will subject you to domestic restraining orders? That is absolutely crazy, in my opinion.

Jeez! So you one night stand with a gal and you're domestic partners...? Also just as ridiculous that your exes are as well. Thankfully I'm a family man and have it been with my fiancee the last 5 years :p

As I and you guys have already mentioned, it's just redundant laws. Or in this case...The more I look online what liberals consider the bf loophole. I was curious and it seems it's such an odd vague bs argument.

So if they updated the ors to include people dating, not married, not living together, no kids...Hell, fwb for example...Yes perfect example. You're domestic partner is now your f#$& buddy.

These people have to go. They love to talk about the abuse of women but what about the abuse of men? Yeah men are less likely to be hurt but abuse is abuse. The bf loophole is sexist and is blatantly prying into private lives.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top