JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason we open carry, is to CHANGE the system. By open carrying, these people are challenging, and changing the status quo.

It's a bit inopposite. Open carriers don't generally try to "change the system". That usually involves civil disobedience. It is open carry that is generally the default method of lawful carry without a special license that you must acquire.

Open carry IS the bearing of arms that is spoken of in the 2nd amendment in historical context, not concealed carry. You can either allow full open carry without license, or concealed carry without license, or even both, but you can't prohibit both or license them both.

Open carriers are the ambassadors of the gun rights movement, where we show the our neighbors, our local businesses, and so on, that gun owners are generally decent folk, not the movie version of gun owners where we are all psychotics who are perfectly willing to shoot up a building.

It's a bit inopposite. Open carriers don't generally try to "change the system". That usually involves civil disobedience. It is open carry that is generally the default method of lawful carry without a special license that you must acquire.

Open carry IS the bearing of arms that is spoken of in the 2nd amendment in historical context, not concealed carry. You can either allow full open carry without license, or concealed carry without license, or even both, but you can't prohibit both or license them both.

Open carriers are the ambassadors of the gun rights movement, where we show the our neighbors, our local businesses, and so on, that gun owners are generally decent folk, not the movie version of gun owners where we are all psychotics who are perfectly willing to shoot up a building.

I think we are arguing the same side of the coin on this one. What I meant was, today open carry(and guns in general) aren't very well respected and supported by the general public. They see them as an 'odd' thing, therefore get frightened by them.

By open carrying, the carrier displays to others that it ISN'T uncommon, hopefully changing the perspective of those who see him, and thus the emotional status quo.

I leave this thread for months and now the amount of FUD in here is quite amazing.

OK, first off, you need to quit spreading the FUD that Portland Police Bureau is feeding you.

If they were going to arrest you for disturbing the peace, why did they not not arrested ME for open carrying in Portland repeatedly? I open carried at Pride Northwest 2007 as a spectator at the parade, my Springfield XD 40, in holster. NOT ONE COP EVEN HASSLED ME.

Quit being cowed by Portland Police Bureau. Until you folks start doing what we do in Washington State and the folks over at PAFOA in Pennsylvania do, which is to sue the officers and the departments responsible for bad stops, EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY DO SO, these officers will never learn.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think we are arguing the same side of the coin on this one. What I meant was, today open carry(and guns in general) aren't very well respected and supported by the general public. They see them as an 'odd' thing, therefore get frightened by them.

By open carrying, the carrier displays to others that it ISN'T uncommon, hopefully changing the perspective of those who see him, and thus the emotional status quo.

A positive role model.

And come on, I haven't met a single Police Officer that knew anything about concealed carry laws. They treat you like a criminal until they check you out and you have the documents to show it's legal.

This is -very- true, it seems. In the last week, I have called and spoken with a sheriff deputy in Washington County AND a La Center, Washington LEO about how to store a firearm when I am going to and from Washington (my husband has a Oregon CHL, just checking on our understanding of the laws). Both of them actually had to ask ME if the Oregon CHL is valid in Washington. :s0131:
Shouldn't an officer that could potentially be the man pulling me over at some point know that fairly important piece of information.

We don't need to earn our rights we are not subjects, we need to have our rights respected. It's not a cops job to hassle us, it's his job to enforce the law in a lawful manor which includes not violating our rights. I would rather be treated with the same respect I give cops, not talked down to in an arrogant manor, and for the most part this has been my experience with cops, but on two occasions I have seen cops out of control and there is no excuse for it, you either do your job right or get a job without the responsibility of a police officer.

I agree completely. :)

KomradRazvan, the "no loaded carry" ordinance is city by city.

<broken link removed>

Milwaukie has no ordinance against it. Even if you did, with a CHL you are completely and totally exempt from the local loaded carry bans by Oregon State Law.

-Lonnie

Is open carry allowed in Portland/and other major cities with a state concealed carry license?
I know in Portland you are allowed to carry openly, just the gun must be unloaded. A 'no loaded weapons' law.

I wanted to share my experience on this. You can review the Municipal Code, which basically says you may openly carry (i.e. have holstered firearm), however it may not be loaded (that means having any ammo in the weapon, chambered or not, in a clip or not). If any law enforcement officer asks to inspect your weapon, you MUST comply -- however, make them handle it (including removing it from the holster, inspecting it, and returning it to your holster). Also, if they do handle your weapon, visually observe them and ensure they do return it in a "safe" position. You DO NOT have to give them your ID, or any other information. Openly carrying a firearm is not probable cause to search you, but it is probable cause to temporarily detain you, to check your weapon for "code compliance".

I went to the Occupy Portland deadline-rally last year, and openly carried. I was inspected several times, and even acquired my own "undercover detail" (or so myself and others with me noticed) throughout the day/night. Most of the officers who inspected me asked questions about why I was carrying, and note that other people were "concerned". I just replied that "It's my lawful right to do so, and under my 5th amendment rights I can offer no other information".

Long story short, for centuries open-carry of a firearm has been a "gentlemen" showing of character (criminals historically conceal them). You need a CHL to conceal it, or to openly carry it "loaded" (in Portland).

Just be aware you will attract a lot of attention.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top