JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dumping the cartridge right back into the open action of the rifle because of the poor ejection angle is extremely frustrating. That pretty much ruins that Sako affection once you've experienced it. Beretta claims it isn't a defect because it will eject without a scope.
I've never owned or even shot a Sako, but I did witness that exact event when my father was trying to shoot a really nice blacktail buck with his Smith and Wesson 1500 (made by Howa). It would have truly been tragic, but since I was standing next to him and witnessed that I no longer had any competition for the buck, I calmly knocked it over with a rifle just like his. :D They were both .270''s. That was the only time that occurred in either of those rifles. As the saying goes: "Timing is everything."

If going into the future, in my current condition, and until croaking... I would go with a short barreled, magazine-fed, semiautomatic chambered in .300 Blackout, and QD muffler. (110gr - 200gr+)

If I had more time and ability, before making my final journey to the incinerator,…no need for anything fancy…I would scoop up a TIKKA Compact Tactichill .308 Winchester (110gr @ over 3000fps - 200gr+), with a 23.7" barrel and topped off with a Nightforce ATACR 1-8X24mm.

If I was starting all over from the teen years, I wouldn't change a thing… and would borrow my Father's Winchester Model 88 in .308 Winchester. The cold shot was spot on through the Williams peep, it packed light, and had a slickity-quik action. Just thinking about it fools my nose into sensing the smell of cold damp Fall decay with a hint of wapiti, and feeling the discomfort of barbed devils club thorns working their way into my hide.

Last Edited:
If going into the future, in my current condition, and until croaking... I would go with a short barreled, magazine-fed, semiautomatic chambered in .300 Blackout, and QD muffler. (110gr - 200gr+)

If I had more time and ability, before making my final journey to the incinerator,…no need for anything fancy…I would scoop up a TIKKA Compact Tactichill .308 Winchester (110gr @ over 3000fps - 200gr+), with a 23.7" barrel and topped off with a Nightforce ATACR 1-8X24mm.

If I was starting all over from the teen years, I wouldn't change a thing… and would borrow my father's Winchester Model 88 in .308 Winchester. The cold shot was spot on through the Williams peep, it packed light, and had a slickity-quik action. Just thinking about it fools my nose into sensing the smell of cold damp Fall decay with a hint of wapiti, and feeling the discomfort of barbed devils club thorns working their way into my hide.
I like the last paragraph! Well said!

30-06 4 life. Piles of ammunition everywhere. Great performance across the board. It's a gun I am comfortable shooting and I believe that it is the only gun I need. I have other guns don't get me wrong. the reasons I got those guns are, more power, more distance, more accuracy…
practice, shot placement and stalking skills are a whole lot cheaper than guns. Plus money can't buy any of those 3 things.

For me the "one" hunting round would be the 30-06.
While I have a nice Pre-64 Winchester Model 70, I would pick my Ruger 77MKII, mostly because it's a lot lighter.

That's very true. It was hard for me to choose between the two. I definitely love 308, but when hand loading I can squeeze a little more out of the '06.
There are extremely few times I would consider buying a rifle in 308 vs 30-06. Ruger has tempted me twice, both times short action 77MKIIs that couldn't be had in long action. The Compact and the Gunsite Scout.

I actually had to make this choice.

My modest but decent collection of hunting guns was stolen when I was in the Service.

I came home with no guns. No money either. Refreshed my interest in bowhunting until I could save for guns.

First purchase was a Ruger Single Six (.22WMR/.22lr), because I could shoot dinner and defend my home, camp, and car with it.

The rifle had to do everything else (until I could afford another one). I chose a Browning B78 Single Shot in .25-06, Capable for (and used on) everything from Sage Rats to Elk.

But today, I would choose one of my Savage Model 99's in .250-3000. (Such a gun was one that was stolen years ago.). An EG model is the classic 99, but I might opt for the F model (Featherweight).

This cartridge TAUGHT me how to shoot high-powered rifles, and has been proven worldwide on the smallest and largest of game. :cool:

I actually had to make this choice.

My modest but decent collection of hunting guns was stolen when I was in the Service.

I came home with no guns. No money either. Refreshed my interest in bowhunting until I could save for guns.

First purchase was a Ruger Single Six (.22WMR/.22lr), because I could shoot dinner and defend my home, camp, and car with it.

The rifle had to do everything else (until I could afford another one). I chose a Browning B78 Single Shot in .25-06, Capable for (and used on) everything from Sage Rats to Elk.

But today, I would choose one of my Savage Model 99's in .250-3000. (Such a gun was one that was stolen years ago.). An EG model is the classic 99, but I might opt for the F model (Featherweight).

This cartridge TAUGHT me how to shoot high-powered rifles, and has been proven worldwide on the smallest and largest of game. :cool:
That's terrible you fell victim to a scum bag while you were serving our country. Thank you for your service! I'm glad you built your collection back up. 25-06 and 250-3000 are neat cartridges and more than capable to take small to large game. Thanks for sharing.

Refreshed my interest in bowhunting until I could save for guns.
With the price of bows today, you would have to refresh your interest in gun hunting until you could save up for a bow. Man, they have gotten ridiculous. I used to upgrade every couple of years but have been shooting the same bow for the last seven or eight years now. I bought it used.

I chose a Browning B78 Single Shot in .25-06, Capable for (and used on) everything from Sage Rats to Elk.
NOTHING wrong with a .25-06!

With the price of bows today, you would have to refresh your interest in gun hunting until you could save up for a bow. Man, they have gotten ridiculous. I used to upgrade every couple of years but have been shooting the same bow for the last seven or eight years now. I bought it used.

NOTHING wrong with a .25-06!
Back then, I grabbed my recurve that I built in high school wood shop, re-fletched 6 used shafts from a friend who also lent me 4 Bear Razorheads and hit the woods with my only cash outlay: A flimsy cotton camo suit from KMart (made in Bangladesh, if memory serves from a tag attached).

We ate good that winter.

Be a man....

1-vintage-toy-slingshot-on-wooden-cubby-house-floor-ryan-jorgensen.jpg

Judging the results of this thread, it looks like the hardware store is all out of 30-06. Uh oh, I need to diversify and get another rifle……dang it all!

My brother lived in and hunted successfully Alaska for many years with a Remington Pump Model 760.308. Even brought it with him to hunt Antelope in Montana with me.

I asked him what his dream gun for the work would be. "A Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classic in .30-06, because just about any cabin in Alaska'll have a box of shells inside, and I want controlled feed for the bears."

My next trip up, I handed him the box. And another box with a 1.5-5 Leupold (as he had mentioned as well).

And we went Sheep huntng. :cool:

Judging the results of this thread, it looks like the hardware store is all out of 30-06. Uh oh, I need to diversify and get another rifle……dang it all!
10-12 years ago I was the "one rifle" guy. Not sure what happened...:)

That '06, now an AI is still my "hunting rifle".

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top