JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would either be a 30-30 or a 45 colt in a lever gun. with 110 gr bullets in the 30-30 I can hunt small game, with a 170 gr solid bullet I could hunt anything in north America. The same with 45 Colt. loaded with 160 to 350 gr bullets I'm set. DR

Winchester XPR in .270 Win. I grabbed one unbelievably cheap from BiMart. They were on sale and the cashier knocked another $50 off for some unknown reason.

I realize that they are not at the top of accuracy, but it fit me so well and balanced just right, that I fell in love. Removable magazine helped.

The .270 Win has become an afterthought to many people. The time of everyone carrying one to hunt deer, bear and elk seemed to have disappeared.

The cartridge is very easy to download and upload depending on what you are hunting. One of the most versatile cartridges ever made.
I know what you mean by grabbing a cheap rifle on sale and being surprised at just how well it shoots, fits and just works. Mine is a Marlin XL-7 chambered in .270 Win. I mounted a Nitrex 3-9X scope on it and it has become my #1 deer rifle. It prefers 130 gr bullets and has been a reliable game getter on mule deer and whitetail. And if it had been in my hands, I probably would have taken my cow elk last fall. (Missed it with my .270WSM at 300 yards) :oops:

One gun, one cartridge but any bullet type and unlimited amount.
Well then~~! Even more definitely 30-06. Load down for the littl'ins (blacktail, antelope, bighorn, etc) and load up for bear or moose/bull elk at distance.:s0155:

Model 70... it's all cake.:D

I would vote for the .308 win, 100 gr to 240gr bullets supers or subs, loaded with a 130 gr or 150 gr brarnes bullet and a good 2X10x42 scope you could take on any game animal in Oregon.

I tried to build a do all .308 a while back found a Browning BAR in great shape but 180gr was the only bullet it would shoot well so I switched to a Savage bolt action and shoots everything I run through it well, I really want a Styer pro hunter HTB but I don't know that the gain is worth the cost.

I really enjoy the 308. It does most things very well. Awesome hunting cartridge for youth or small framed hunters. Or the guy that packs his rifle through rough terrain for miles and wants minimal extra rifle weight, quick follow up shots and more ammo in the magazine. For me, that's where my little 338 federal foots the bill nicely. More energy than a 30-06 to 400 yards and much less recoil in a handy little package. I wish more people knew about it. It's a shame it never got the attention it deserves.

Since I like hunting birds as much as big game, my one rifle wouldn't be a rifle, but my Henry single shot 12 gauge.

If we're just talking big game, I already did the one rifle thing: Tikka T3x Ultralight in a Manners stock, threaded for my Griffin Armament suppressor, topped with a Trijicon Auccupower 3-9x40.

impossible for me. I can pick two but not one. Guess I will never have just one.

Like having only a car or a truck.
Like beer or Bourbon

whats wrong with you people

impossible for me. I can pick two but not one. Guess I will never have just one.

Like having only a car or a truck.
Like beer or Bourbon

whats wrong with you people
Truck over car
Bourbon over beer

That's the fun of it lol choosing one over the other. Are you the man that can't choose one woman for the rest of your life either?🤣

Truck over car
Bourbon over beer

That's the fun of it lol choosing one over the other. Are you the man that can't choose one woman for the rest of your life either?🤣
There are others in the thread that chose over and under rifles in shotgun and centerfire but the thread is if you HAD to choose just ONE cartridge for hunting. Just trying to make a fun thread and see what people are most attached to.

Truck over car
Bourbon over beer

1 woman is easy. Been married over 35 years.

One gun is impossible because animals deserve better than one gun. Under gunning is bad, over gunning is bad. Cant shoot a rabbit with my elk gun. Cant shoot a quail with my elk gun. See the pattern

Better question is of you only shoot an ungulate then I can pick one gun

Congratulations that's awesome. I hear you but that's why it's interesting to see people choose 270 or 30-06 for instance because you can load them up and down so greatly in either direction. I'm sure if you were a crack shot you wouldn't have a problem hitting a rabbit in the head with a 308 caliber fmj and still having dinner on the table.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top