JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I appreciate all of the opinions,......But the poll was 1 gun and 1 cartridge.

30-06, .338, .270, ,......I just can't see any of them for home defense, small game, varmits, and yet big enough to put some real protein on the table.

1 gun, 1 cartridge. 12ga. Smoothbore without a doubt. Think of all the loads available,...

If it was just a rifle I would have to go with 7.62x39 and my CZ527. I'm taking into consideration availability and cost.

Anyway, interesting and fun thread.

Considering the fact that I will most likely never hunt Africa or Alaska I will stick with my remmy 700 in .270 short mag. Plenty of punch for everything in the lower 48. I have plenty of loaded ammo and components to last for years.

Winchester XPR in .270 Win. I grabbed one unbelievably cheap from BiMart. They were on sale and the cashier knocked another $50 off for some unknown reason.

I realize that they are not at the top of accuracy, but it fit me so well and balanced just right, that I fell in love. Removable magazine helped.

The .270 Win has become an afterthought to many people. The time of everyone carrying one to hunt deer, bear and elk seemed to have disappeared.

The cartridge is very easy to download and upload depending on what you are hunting. One of the most versatile cartridges ever made.

I agree Pete, 270 is a legendary cartridge for sure. That's all my grandfather ever used and I grew up watching many many deer and elk fall to a 130 grain core lokt.
I agree with these guys. .270 would be the cartridge and the rifle would be a toss-up between Remington 760 Gamemaster or Winchester Model 70.
I grew up hunting with both rifles, except the Remmy was in .257 Roberts (for deer) and a left-handed model 70 (for all big game), because my grandpa was left-handed. Man, I loved those rifles, especially the Gamemaster because I killed my first deer with it.

Ray

If I was living in an area where deer are the biggest game I tend to think that a cz527 carbine in 7.62x39 makes a lot of sense. It's a great gun in a handy size! But since I'm living in a place where elk are plentiful I would prefer a Mauser pattern in 30-06, such as this model 54 super grade. 30-06 is just too versatile not to choose. It's a good thing we still live in a place where you can own several because I'd cry a lot paring down! Oh, and decent optics are a must! The Leupold 2-7x28 compact with a set of Warne QD rings fit the Cz well and a vx-II 3-9x40 is a good all around for 30-06. Either of these rifles will bring the meat home!

IMG_4062.jpeg IMG_4063.jpeg

I love your choice but I'm not sure it fits for quick home defense,....Going through walls and all.
I read the thread is only for hunting role.
If we included self defense Id go with a Grendel in AR, or a 30-30 lever gun if in a ban state.

If I had only one gun for hunting only its the 25-06, is probably close to one of the most versatile calibers out there.

@ilikegunspdx , I like how you think.
I also like @TTSX 's suggestion of of a Savage in 300WM, loaded the way you like it -- though mine would be 7LRM, loaded for 7LRM, 7Mag, 280 Rem, or 7-08 power levels.

But, as it's 1 gun, 1 caliber -- I go for 450 Bushmaster in AR15 pattern, loaded with 225 to 300gr HP or tipped bullets. I'd also develop a load for shot so it also behaved like a 410.

Me, I would HAVE to take my Colt M-1855 MK-IV Frontier Carbine .50 cal hands down, the most fun to shoot, and plenty accurate enough to get the job done right, quick, and humane! That's anything from a round ball up to a 465 gr hard cast colical solid!

1715581415877.png

I guess I'll play. Rifle is easy. Model 70 30-06.

Bullet... that's a tough one since it really depends on the game and anticipated shooting distance. IF I can only choose one... I guess a sierra boattail... but that doesn't mean I'm only allowed one bullet weight, right(?) :D

Not the most "ideal" bullet for some game, but it covers a wide enough "acceptable" range that if varying the weight is allowed... I would be happy with it.

Last Edited:
I guess I'll play. Rifle is easy. Model 70 30-06.

Bullet... that's a tough one since it really depends on the game and anticipated shooting distance. IF I can only choose one... I guess a sierra boattail... but that doesn't mean I'm only allowed one bullet weight, right(?) :D

Not the most "ideal" bullet for some game, but it covers a wide enough "acceptable" range that if varying the weight is allowed... I would be happy with it.
One gun, one cartridge but any bullet type and unlimited amount.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top