JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be there? Sat April 12th, 9:00 Am to 6:00 PM. Please post, in thread, # guests with you.

• Total voters
Rules for shooting on Washington State Lands. As per Department of Natural Resources.

Web link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

These are common rules, to us, reasonable and typical of an outdoor sportsman using good common sense.

WAC 332-52-145

Firearms and target shooting.
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands. The department regulates and enforces target shooting on department-managed lands.
(a) The department may restrict target shooting for the reasons set forth in WAC 332-52-100.
(b) Persons shall not target shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person, pet, livestock, wildlife or property.
(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs. "Tracer ammunition" means a bullet, projectile, or shell that traces its own course in the air with a trail of smoke, chemical incandescence, or fire, so as to facilitate adjustment of the aim.
(2) Does recreational target shooting include hunting? No. This section does not apply to hunting activities, which are subject to the rules and regulations administered by the Washington state department of fish and wildlife.
(3) Where is target shooting permitted?
(a) Persons may target shoot in:
(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or
(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and debris in a safe manner.
Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.
(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.
(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:
(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;
(ii) Residences;
(iii) Businesses;
(iv) Structures;
(v) Other areas as restricted;
(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.
(4) What may be used as a target?
(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.
(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:
(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;
(ii) Vegetation;
(iii) Structures;
(iv) Gates;
(v) Vehicles;
(vi) Signs;
(vii) Other department improvements;
(viii) Appliances;
(ix) Furniture;
(x) Glass;
(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;
(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;
(xiii) Wildlife;
(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;
(xv) Garbage of any kind.
Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.
(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
(6) Is possession of a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle permitted on department-managed lands? Persons shall not possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle, except as provided by state law.
(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.
(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

#6 above is interesting and a little analysis may be in order. As this is an outdoor activity state law permits you to carry a loaded handgun (open or concealed) as an exception to the limitations on carrying. If you do decide to exercise this exception I would advise keeping at the very least the RCW numbers that cover it handy. Note that this does not apply to long guns. (To my knowledge all long guns must be carried unloaded in vehicles)

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

Humm... I see your point. Wouldn't "RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions" be the "except as provided by state law?" If so, I agree that you should carry a copy of "RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions" when doing outdoor recreation and not having a concealed carry permit. It is interesting that they don't specify weather the firearm is a handgun or pistol. You have to read "RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms" to answer that.

For my purposes, when I'm out in the woods "recreating", or any other time transporting a handgun, I would rather have everything unloaded (since I don't have a concealed permit). I think, however, I will print "RCW 9.41.060" and keep it in the glove box... just in case.

Thanks, Gunrights,

Bill

Humm... I see your point. Wouldn't "RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions" be the "except as provided by state law?" If so, I agree that you should carry a copy of "RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions" when doing outdoor recreation and not having a concealed carry permit. It is interesting that they don't specify weather the firearm is a handgun or pistol. You have to read "RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms" to answer that.

For my purposes, when I'm out in the woods "recreating", or any other time transporting a handgun, I would rather have everything unloaded (since I don't have a concealed permit). I think, however, I will print "RCW 9.41.060" and keep it in the glove box... just in case.

Thanks, Gunrights,

Bill
I open carry so it doesn't really apply to me as I will not be inside a vehicle. I just found it interesting that this was listed above when any activity out on forest lands is likely to be an outdoor activity. I suppose it is probably because there is a difference in the way long guns and pistols are dealt with via the RCW's.

FWIW, I keep a copy of all applicable RCW's as documents on my phone. I have never had to use them but I figure better to have them handy than not.

Ill have to double check with the wife to make sure well be free also if work allows it but if i cant stay the whole time ill
Make it for some count me in. I shoot on larch and can't believe the messes people leave behind. I always make sure to bring atleast three garbage bags with me and still never get close to getting anything done great idea!

Right on, JohnnyD!

Thanks for casting your vote. I think you can change your vote later, when you know if you can make it. I did it once by deleting my first vote and it gave me the option to vote again.

Would be fun to have you there!

Bill

Well, I feel a little silly now. I will not be making it to this event. I grew up in Portland, and I knew that Larch Mountain sounded familiar, but it had been a while since I thought about where it was. I googled it, and came up with a location in the middle of Capital forrest North-West of Olympia.

I figured I could do an hour + alright. Then I looked at the maps you posted and realized I was way off. Sorry guys, I will have to sit this one out. 3 hours each way is a little more than I can make work that weekend.

Let me correct that. I used Bing. Google showed the right location.

Yeah, that is the one everyone else was talking about. Only Bing and myself thought it was closer to me.

If you plan one a little closer to Gig Harbor, I will be there. I have been looking for another good outdoor spot, and would drive up to an hour and a half or so, but out past Vancouver is just too far.

Yep, it's the Larch Mtn just East of Vancouver. Quite alright, BigStick. It's the thought that counts!

If you shoot on State Land, somewhere around the Gig, I'd be happy to share my DNR contact with you (or with anyone else who'd like it). They are great to work with and help make it easy to set up this kind of a volunteer event. Our Sponsor is NorthwestFirearms.com and our Group is NorthwestFirearms.com Volunteers. Just members helping to further Joe's mission statement and doing a fun project.

Bill

It's been 30 years since I've been on Larch Mtn, never shot there but sorry to hear that it's a trash dump.
As a person that has done ALOT of voulenteer wrk w/ the USFS I would enquire about complementary Discovery/Adventure /Parking Passes for the workers

Hi, erudne,

Yes, Washington Dept of Nat Resources is providing Day Discover passes, as well as, will provide a free Annual Discover pass once you've volunteered 24 hrs for DNR. They are offering a lot more! See the original post on page 1.

Thank for chiming in!

Bill

Vote count to date: 13 from NWFA and 16 from the FaceBook page makes 29 YES VOTES so far!

How do I get that, you ask? 5 yes, + 4 yes w/guests means at least 2 per vote for total of 13 from NWFA. I'm sure some folks from the FB page will bring guests as well.

Gee, even if half showed up, it will still be a large group effort! I'm gonna need some help hauling all that coffee and donuts up to the site!

2 weekends to go! Thanks all!

Bill

We need a couple of Extra things and wondered if anyone can help...
(May not be necessary, but it would sure help to start things off nice!)

• Propane cook stove. 2 burner with at least 2 small bottles.
  • Coffee makers. Drip or perk. With filters.
  • Coffee & coffee creamer.
  • Coffee cups. Disposable.
  • Donuts. 3-4 doz assorted.
  • Marsh-mellows. Hey, kids will be there and we'll have a camp fire too! I'm a kid!
  • Apples. 1 bag. (for anyone who just needs a little snack).
  • Portable toilet. With tank treatment. (I'll provide a pup tent, we just need the toilet).

Please post if you can provide any of these.

Thank you,

Bill

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top