JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gate is closed at the lanes!

I don't know much about this, but just called the ODF office in Forest Grove. They say the lanes are shut down due to a fire investigation. I couldn't find out anything more. Don't know how long it will be closed.

If anyone has eyes & ears on the situation, post some info.

Thanks,

Bill

Dang! That's right at lane 3. I hope it was something like lightning and not from an explosive device, cause that's the kind of stuff that'll shut us down. ODF is already not pleased with the mess and destruction at these lanes. We could loose them is we don't take care of them.

4-18-24 Fire at Lane 3.png
Banks Post news article:

https://www.bankspost.com/posts/ban...ond-fire-nw-of-timber-near-four-county-point/

If anyone would like a flyer of the May 25th cleanup event, I have one as a PDF file I can send you, but I'll need your email address in a private message (I can't upload a PDF file on NWFA). It's black & white, 8 1/2 x 11. You'll need to print it.

I sent it to Oregon Rifle Works Tigard, 540 Training .com, HighLine Firearms in Newberg, Northwest Armory in Tigard, and Sportsman's Warehouse in Hillsboro. So if you visit those stores, peak around to see if it's posted.

If you have a favorite gun store, print a copy and take it in to them.

Thanks,

Bill

Here's a screenshot of the PDF flyer:
Flyer Screenshot of PDF.png

If anyone would like a flyer of the May 25th cleanup event, I have one as a PDF file I can send you, but I'll need your email address in a private message (I can't upload a PDF file on NWFA). It's black & white, 8 1/2 x 11. You'll need to print it.

I sent it to Oregon Rifle Works Tigard, 540 Training .com, HighLine Firearms in Newberg, Northwest Armory in Tigard, and Sportsman's Warehouse in Hillsboro. So if you visit those stores, peak around to see if it's posted.

If you have a favorite gun store, print a copy and take it in to them.

Thanks,

Bill

Here's a screenshot of the PDF flyer:
Send 1 to wooster armory.

I just heard today, this is happening May 16th & 17th. The Rec Mngr sent me an email about a State Forest Advisory Committee Tour happening in the Tillamook and Clatsop State Forests. On their tour, they are stopping by Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes (the 16th). Now get this...

Recently, ODF staff went to the lanes to try to clean them up enough to be presentable for the Advisory Committee tour. The staff was a bit overwhelmed and they didn't get much done.

Here's a copy of what they said...

"Tara and I did a full day of clean up at the Wolf creek lanes. There is a SIGNIFICANT amount of damage in all lanes that I'm not sure what the best solution could be. We hauled 5 large trash bags out of lane 4 but there is still a massive amount to clean. Not to mention the dump pile on the side of the mountain. I suggest getting a WO in place for boulders around lane 4 to prevent people backing up and dumping trash off the mountain side (I did a survey123).

All four boards need new signs before the 17th tour takes place.

Attached are pictures of all 4 info boards and videos of lane 1 & 3. As well as a before and after of lane 4.

Signs Wolf Creek 1.jpg Signs Wolf Creek 2.jpg Signs Wolf Creek 3.jpg Signs Wolf Creek 4.jpg

I'm not sure a full day with FMT's could tackle all the trash. Also, I've never felt so unsafe while in a "facility". While in lane 4 someone in lane 3 was shooting so close Tara and I both heard the whiz of multiple bullets. I heard 9 and 6 were VERY close, but I cant speak for how uncomfortable Tara felt.

Thank you,..."

Later today, I got an email from ODF announcing the State Forest Advisory Committee Tour. Here's what it said:

"State Forests Advisory Committee hosts tour May 16, meets May 17 in Forest Grove

SALEM, Ore. – An Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) state forests advisory group will host a tour of forestland in portions of the Tillamook and Clatsop State Forests on May 16 and meet on May 17 in Forest Grove, and the meeting will have a virtual option via Zoom.

The public is welcome at both events, hosted by the State Forests Advisory Committee (SFAC). The meeting agenda will be posted on the SFAC webpage.

Details

Forest Tour
: Meets at 8:30 a.m. on May 16 at the Hornshuh Creek fire Station #14 at 49021 NW Sunset Highway in Banks. The tour will visit the Wolf Creek Target Shooting Lanes, a partial cut harvest for habitat development, and a stop at Reehers Camp to hear and see the Salmonberry trail project. RSVP is requested for the forest tour so that attendees can be provided safety equipment..."

I don't know who is on the Advisory Committee, but I wouldn't doubt it if they are going to be appalled by the site they see at the lanes. They will be talking about it at the meeting on the 17th.

And the signs! No one told me how faded and full of bullet holes they are! I thought they were just fine and we wouldn't have to do anything with them at the 25th cleanup. So today I ordered all new signs to be printed (another surprise expense for the lanes). I'm hoping they'll be printed by this Friday and I'll go replace all signs on Saturday. While I'm there, I'll try to get as much of the big ugly trash as I can at each lane.

I'm not holding my breath for a good outcome of their visit. Stand by for news if we keep or loose the lanes.

Bill

BTW, they have not determined a cause of the recent fire above Lane 3, yet. They suspect it was an explosive device or tracer rounds.

There will be a closure of the lanes on May 16th (next Thursday), at some point, when the Advisory Committee goes in to view. They'll reopen the lanes after they are done. If you are shooting at that time, they will be asking you to leave until they are done.

I just heard today, this is happening May 16th & 17th. The Rec Mngr sent me an email about a State Forest Advisory Committee Tour happening in the Tillamook and Clatsop State Forests. On their tour, they are stopping by Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes (the 16th). Now get this...

Recently, ODF staff went to the lanes to try to clean them up enough to be presentable for the Advisory Committee tour. The staff was a bit overwhelmed and they didn't get much done.

Here's a copy of what they said...

"Tara and I did a full day of clean up at the Wolf creek lanes. There is a SIGNIFICANT amount of damage in all lanes that I'm not sure what the best solution could be. We hauled 5 large trash bags out of lane 4 but there is still a massive amount to clean. Not to mention the dump pile on the side of the mountain. I suggest getting a WO in place for boulders around lane 4 to prevent people backing up and dumping trash off the mountain side (I did a survey123).

All four boards need new signs before the 17th tour takes place.

Attached are pictures of all 4 info boards and videos of lane 1 & 3. As well as a before and after of lane 4.

View attachment 1878424 View attachment 1878425 View attachment 1878426 View attachment 1878427

I'm not sure a full day with FMT's could tackle all the trash. Also, I've never felt so unsafe while in a "facility". While in lane 4 someone in lane 3 was shooting so close Tara and I both heard the whiz of multiple bullets. I heard 9 and 6 were VERY close, but I cant speak for how uncomfortable Tara felt.

Thank you,..."

Later today, I got an email from ODF announcing the State Forest Advisory Committee Tour. Here's what it said:

"State Forests Advisory Committee hosts tour May 16, meets May 17 in Forest Grove

SALEM, Ore. – An Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) state forests advisory group will host a tour of forestland in portions of the Tillamook and Clatsop State Forests on May 16 and meet on May 17 in Forest Grove, and the meeting will have a virtual option via Zoom.

The public is welcome at both events, hosted by the State Forests Advisory Committee (SFAC). The meeting agenda will be posted on the SFAC webpage.

Details

Forest Tour
: Meets at 8:30 a.m. on May 16 at the Hornshuh Creek fire Station #14 at 49021 NW Sunset Highway in Banks. The tour will visit the Wolf Creek Target Shooting Lanes, a partial cut harvest for habitat development, and a stop at Reehers Camp to hear and see the Salmonberry trail project. RSVP is requested for the forest tour so that attendees can be provided safety equipment..."

I don't know who is on the Advisory Committee, but I wouldn't doubt it if they are going to be appalled by the site they see at the lanes. They will be talking about it at the meeting on the 17th.

And the signs! No one told me how faded and full of bullet holes they are! I thought they were just fine and we wouldn't have to do anything with them at the 25th cleanup. So today I ordered all new signs to be printed (another surprise expense for the lanes). I'm hoping they'll be printed by this Friday and I'll go replace all signs on Saturday. While I'm there, I'll try to get as much of the big ugly trash as I can at each lane.

I'm not holding my breath for a good outcome of their visit. Stand by for news if we keep or loose the lanes.

Bill

BTW, they have not determined a cause of the recent fire above Lane 3, yet. They suspect it was an explosive device or tracer rounds.
good lord the timing....if anyone can take the time to go get a bag in the next 9 days could save our site i may try to get up there with my boys Saturday and grab a few bags.
horrible timing At lease we will be there the following week and can update or send committee the site cleaned up within a week.

good lord the timing....if anyone can take the time to go get a bag in the next 9 days could save our site i may try to get up there with my boys Saturday and grab a few bags.
horrible timing At lease we will be there the following week and can update or send committee the site cleaned up within a week.
That would be great, Robert! Thanks. I'll be there most of the day Saturday. I'll have plenty of trash bags and I'll haul the payload to the dump (will be covered by Trash No Land).

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top