JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Initial Thoughts:

Budget $3,500

Free floating barrel of 24"+ .

Uses the 6.5 CM round

Do most people go to a custom shop for a gun of this sort?

Is my budget realistic?

I want only to consider highly respected brands.

What is the best way to go about getting started?

Thanks

Last Edited:
There's a lot of factory rifles that can shoot 1 MOA. My FN Winchester 70 being one of them when I do my part. Just like all things, you can spend a much or as little as you can/want. I don't see a budget.

Initial Thoughts:

Free floating barrel of 24"+ .

Uses the 6.5 CM round

Do most people go to a custom shop for a gun of this sort?

Is my budget realistic?

I want only to consider highly respected brands.

What is the best way to go about getting started?

Thanks
I wouldn't go full custom right out of the gate. Anymore, it doesn't get you much or anything more than some of the properly setup factory rifles out there. Two of the best bang for the buck factory rifles that work very well for PRS would be the Aero Solus and the Seekins Havak Hit in one of their chassis'. Maybe I missed it but I don't see your budget.

When your ready to go full custom, there are multiple actions that now take prefits that will allow you to build a full custom rifle yourself with minimal tools or mechanical ability. One thing I would do is stick with a Remington 700 clone action as that has the biggest aftermarket ecosystem by far, probably as big as all other actions combined.

Other items that are going to be key to your success are: Shooting Bag/Bags (Armagedon Gear, Wiebad), tripod, bi-pod, mounting system for accessories I would highly recommend ARCA, muzzle brake and I am sure I am overlooking a bunch of other items right now.

Go observe a match in your area.
You will get a better understanding of what is used and what is needed.
If your $3500 budget is just for the rifle and nothing else (scope, kestrel, bags, binos, tripod, bipod, ammo, rangefinder, etc...) I would say you have budgeted plenty for just the rifle, all the other stuff you need will cost much more than that.

Go observe a match in your area.
You will get a better understanding of what is used and what is needed.
If your $3500 budget is just for the rifle and nothing else (scope, kestrel, bags, binos, tripod, bipod, ammo, rangefinder, etc...) I would say you have budgeted plenty for just the rifle, all the other stuff you need will cost much more than that.
Great advice. The upcoming Ray Burden match at DRRC is a well attended match.
They use electronic targets at 1000 yards.

Good glass is key here. Talking to others, seeing what they're shooting, type of glass their using and why will save you a lot of money and time.

Do you reload? I would suggest that, even the most expensive "match grade" ammo is not tuned to your rifle...
There are many scope options that will work great this day and age! Respected brands yes, fad boy brands not so much...
Do plenty of research and try and keep it simple!

Thank you for all the sage advice!
I will be at the Burden match next month.
Good way to learn.

I would enjoy an opportunity to observe a PRS man going out for
some practice. I could bring the Food. I live in Poulsbo but will travel
as needed.

As far a budget goes, If $2,000 is just for the gun,
How much more is needed for all the rest? As an average.

Good way to learn.

as needed.

It depends. I just bought a Kahles 5-25 for a 300 PRC build, but I wouldn't spend less than $1k on glass if you plan on shooting long distance.

Good way to learn.

as needed.

I would spend at least $15,000-$35,000 on the scope just in case. :rolleyes: Hmm I wonder what good shooters did before Gucci glass?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top