JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to reloading and would like to get some help on reloading for 9mm 115 grain CPRN Speer with Titegroup powder. I want to make sure that I am right about the correct powder grains. I have searched and cannot find anything on CPRN with Titegroup. Being new at this I want to use minimum load. I see on other bullets from 3.6 all the way to 4.8. I am sure that it may be listed some place. Yes, I read the data on the label but it is for a different bullet. I am not wanting to play a guessing game with this powder. So if anyone knows where I can find this information I would be grateful. Yes I have checked the Hodgen site. It does not list it. Please be kind in your response.

You will be fine starting at 3.6gr. and working up. Being a bit softer than jacketed bullets you may want to stay a bit lower than top end loads but I know a lot of folks that load up to 4.5gr of tightgroup with 115gr plated bullets and have good results. To account for gun and component differences always start low and work up looking for issues.

You will be fine starting at 3.6gr. and working up. Being a bit softer than jacketed bullets you may want to stay a bit lower than top end loads but I know a lot of folks that load up to 4.5gr of tightgroup with 115gr plated bullets and have good results. To account for gun and component differences always start low and work up looking for issues.
Thanks for the response and info. I was thinking about starting at 3.9 or 4.0 but just wanted to see what I could get from this group.

Thanks, but have already done that and it does not give data for CPRN. But thanks for the help anyway. I just want to make sure being new at this.
The type of bullet (CPRN, jacketed, lead) isn't as important as weight. All projectiles are loaded according to weight for the most part, so as long as you stay in the same weight range and work up from the bottom there are no other issues to be concerned with.

So just to confirm, we are talking about copper plated round nosed bullets, correct? So, this is from Berry's website
  • Load data for our Superior Plated Bullets® can be found in any manual or on any powder manufacturer's website.
  • Cast or jacketed data with the same grain weight and profile will work with our bullets.
In most reloading resources, there is a difference between cast and jacketed, usually pretty small, but it is there. I like to look at the overlap and start on the light side. Looking at the Speer #15 manual, the data is for jacketed or lead, not plated. Berry's notes above that either will work. I would not use Gold Dot loads as a guideline as they can be pretty different (the 4.8 you note in the OP). I checked my load data for 9mm going back to 1986 and sorry, have loaded very few 115 gr (prefer 124 gr) and none were with Tightgroup. Do like the powder, meters and shoots well in my equipment and guns. The 2021 Hodgdon manual shows a starting load of 3.9 with a 115 gr LRN .356 COL 1.100 so it looks like you are in the ballpark.

Seating depth is the biggest issue with 9mm. Small difference will affect pressures significantly. Consistency is important here when developing loads. I'm only on my first cup of tea this morning so triple check any of my numbers! Good question you ask. Hope you get some help here.

The type of bullet (CPRN, jacketed, lead) isn't as important as weight. All projectiles are loaded according to weight for the most part, so as long as you stay in the same weight range and work up from the bottom there are no other issues to be concerned with.
I will ad to this^^. Always "plunk" test a finished round in the barrel of the gun you're loading for.

Using the above test you can adjust the OAL as you desire. Do realize that shortening OAL substantially below established printed data can/will have an effect on peak pressure.

Last Edited:
Using TiteGroup :

Easy to double charge with this powder.
Therefore, develop a reloading regimen that double-checks case powder level.

Don't leave in powder measure hopper overnight.
(eats some plastics)

Using TiteGroup :

Easy to double charge with this powder.
Therefore, develop a reloading regimen that double-checks case powder level.

Don't leave in powder measure hopper overnight.
(eats some plastics)
Is Titegroup worse than others? I left something in the thrower a long time ago, but I didn't make a habit out of it. The plastic is barely affected though and I don't leave it in there anymore.

Is Titegroup worse than others? I left something in the thrower a long time ago, but I didn't make a habit out of it. The plastic is barely affected though and I don't leave it in there anymore.
I don't have any more it, but I remember being cautioned about leaving it in the hopper.
Higher nitro content does it, apparently.

I've used as little as 2.5 grains of titegroup with 9mm 115 grain poly coated. Usually around 3 grains would best.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top