JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't follow newer engine technology, but I was raised to believe that most engine wear is caused by engine start up due to lack of enough oily stuff where it should be. I seems like the auto industry made a compromise to satisfy emissions standards.
I've done a bit of reading on the subject. One of my sisters-in-law had a Chevrolet with that feature. She had it briefly and fortunately, she bought it from a dealer that had a one week return policy. After having issues with the automatic start / stop, she took it back and got something else. But more and more ICE vehicles are being offered with it. I'm not sure what to believe about claims from manufacturers, so I won't repeat some of them here. However, it's true that engine wear on start-up is pronounced, but I think this is mostly in cold start situations. Once the engine is fully warmed up, lubricants stay in place on bearings and so on for quite some time. The automatic start / stop feature on newer cars doesn't activate until the engine is fully warmed up for this reason.

I'm not really interested in having such a feature. I don't do enough of the kind of driving that might make the most advantage of it. An objection of mine is the added technology that comes into play, including interconnectivity with the transmission. I prefer systems, to the extent that I can exercise my choices, that are simpler, not more complex.

I've done a bit of reading on the subject. One of my sisters-in-law had a Chevrolet with that feature. She had it briefly and fortunately, she bought it from a dealer that had a one week return policy. After having issues with the automatic start / stop, she took it back and got something else. But more and more ICE vehicles are being offered with it. I'm not sure what to believe about claims from manufacturers, so I won't repeat some of them here. However, it's true that engine wear on start-up is pronounced, but I think this is mostly in cold start situations. Once the engine is fully warmed up, lubricants stay in place on bearings and so on for quite some time. The automatic start / stop feature on newer cars doesn't activate until the engine is fully warmed up for this reason.

I'm not really interested in having such a feature. I don't do enough of the kind of driving that might make the most advantage of it. An objection of mine is the added technology that comes into play, including interconnectivity with the transmission. I prefer systems, to the extent that I can exercise my choices, that are simpler, not more complex.
I have a '23 Bronco, which has Auto Start Stop (bubblegum). The bubblegum doesn't engage under certain conditions, such as you mentioned, when the engine is cold or if you're running the A/C, or it detects the batter voltage is too low or under a high load.

There is also a button on the dash to disable bubblegum, but it doesn't remember the setting between driving sessions. bubblegum also stays disabled in different driving modes, such as sport and the various off-road modes.

bubblegum will also stay disabled if I have the clutch engaged.

I typically prefer to keep it off. I have experimented with it back when I commuted to work and didn't see a discernable fuel savings.

My BIL has an F150 with bubblegum and had to replace his starter at 50k miles. I don't really trust it to not leave me stranded dead at a light.

I enjoy reading personal stories and anecdotes that other members express here. Which I personally prefer to the one line, gaggy attempts at humor. Although some of those can be pretty clever.

HEY NOW!! o_O

I could behave like just another grouchy (albeit clever) ol' curmudgeon… believe me it comes quite easily to me, but the wife gets tired of me raging all the time.

:s0118:

So…. (dark) irreverent humor it is!

:s0140:

I typically prefer to keep it off. I have experimented with it back when I commuted to work and didn't see a discernable fuel savings.
I've read that some of these systems have a way to know how many hours you've logged with the engine off while in the engine start / stop mode. I guess this is so people can figure out how much fuel they've saved?

My BIL has an F150 with bubblegum and had to replace his starter at 50k miles. I don't really trust it to not leave me stranded dead at a light.

My opinion is that it will cost more for starters than fuel, and the environmental cost of the starters will exceed that of the fuel used.
Not exactly on topic, but I've been amazed at how long starter motors last these days. I've got two Ford Panther platform vehicles with V8 engines. Both have original starters, one at 156K miles, the other close to 90K miles. In contrast to older vehicles I've owned. Like cars of the 1950's, those starters were good for maybe 50 or 60K miles. Then you'd start buying rebuilts that lasted 20- 30K miles. Cars of the 1960's, you might get 75 - 80K miles from a starter. Those were all "fat ones" with the copper wound field coils. The newer starters are smaller, I guess with permanent magnet fields.

Last Edited:
I have a '23 Bronco, which has Auto Start Stop (bubblegum). The bubblegum doesn't engage under certain conditions, such as you mentioned, when the engine is cold or if you're running the A/C, or it detects the batter voltage is too low or under a high load.

There is also a button on the dash to disable bubblegum, but it doesn't remember the setting between driving sessions. bubblegum also stays disabled in different driving modes, such as sport and the various off-road modes.

bubblegum will also stay disabled if I have the clutch engaged.

Have you looked into "Forscan" (not skin). You may be able to turn it off completely.

Have you looked into "Forscan" (not skin). You may be able to turn it off completely.
Yes, I've used it quite a bit on both my vehicles. You're unable to disable it Forscan.

There is a 3rd party module that you can buy that will disable it, but I refuse to put Chinese electronics on my vehicles. Pushing a button on the dash isn't all that difficult or intrusive in my life.

There is a Ford Performance tune for the Bronco that remembers the last bubblegum setting. I'll get that eventually.

Yes, I've used it quite a bit on both my vehicles. You're unable to disable it Forscan.

There is a 3rd party module that you can buy that will disable it, but I refuse to put Chinese electronics on my vehicles. Pushing a button on the dash isn't all that difficult or intrusive in my life.

There is a Ford Performance tune for the Bronco that remembers the last bubblegum setting. I'll get that eventually.
Understood about the china thing but don't kid yourself too much thinking there's not a lot of that junk already in your car. My new Ford has plenty, of course my "new" Superduty is already 5 years old, dang hearing that it may be time for a new one.

Understood about the china thing but don't kid yourself too much thinking there's not a lot of that junk already in your car. My new Ford has plenty, of course my "new" Superduty is already 5 years old, dang hearing that it may be time for a new one.
It's not a strictly "China" thing, but an aftermarket with unknown quality and realistically, zero bubblegums to give about putting out crappy product that bothers me. Ford at least has SOME skin in the game and isn't trying to burn down vehicles. Not that it doesn't happen, but there's some recourse with them.

I've seen examples of several of those aftermarket headlights and other less than stellar cheap crap electronics start fires and burn vehicles to the ground.

RE : The high cost of Car Insurance.

Yesterday, I got the notice that my homeowner's insurance policy is set to be renewed. Rrrrrright...... there is that small matter of the price increase.

But, I could venture to guess that some of it, might be justified. After all, insurance claims have also risen. Be it due to : weather, fire, destruction by vandals, labor costs, materials costs, etc..... etc..... So, who is to blame? Afterall......the Federal Govt is hell bent on seeing higher inflation.

1715903248716.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
RE : The high cost of Car Insurance.

Yesterday, I got the notice that my homeowner's insurance policy is set to be renewed. Rrrrrright...... there is that small matter of the price increase.

But, I could venture to guess that some of it, might be justified. After all, insurance claims have also risen. Be it due to : weather, fire, destruction by vandals, labor costs, materials costs, etc..... etc..... So, who is to blame? Afterall......the Federal Govt is hell bent on seeing higher inflation.

View attachment 1882703

Aloha, Mark
Mine has doubled in the last 5 years.
If you're a member of AARP, the Hartford will supposedly offer you a low rate...

I'm almost desperate enough to wait on hold...

Generational shock can come in unexpected places:

Teen Grandsons of a close buddy came to hunting camp 4 or 5 years ago, and I noticed their rapt attention as I made coffee. One was finally bold enough to ask, "How does that work?"

At which point I gave a shot dissertation on the operation of a percolator.

They'd never seen one before, or any other coffee maker without buttons and cords and digital clocks, and the side benefit was that they argued over who was gonna make the coffee for the rest of the trip, riveting their eyes on the clear plastic fixture on the lid, waiting and almost cheering as the first splash of boiling water hit it. :rolleyes:

Generational shock can come in unexpected places:

Teen Grandsons of a close buddy came to hunting camp 4 or 5 years ago, and I noticed their rapt attention as I made coffee. One was finally bold enough to ask, "How does that work?"

At which point I gave a shot dissertation on the operation of a percolator.

They'd never seen one before, or any other coffee maker without buttons and cords and digital clocks, and the side benefit was that they argued over who was gonna make the coffee for the rest of the trip, riveting their eyes on the clear plastic fixture on the lid, waiting and almost cheering as the first splash of boiling water hit it. :rolleyes:
I went from an electric drip machine for most of my life, to Keurig k-cups for eight years, then french press for the past three, and now a stainless steel percolator.

The coffee tasts better, cleanup is easier than french press, no filters, no plastic residue from k-cups, costs less and I can take with as a bug out to use on a campfire. Plus it's sort of meditating listening to the perc. Only downside is is it takes 20 minutes.

I plan to work til I am 70 - I will see what happens. My last day of work when I retire i plan to take my laptop out to a tree. I will tape it to the tree and then proceed to put a 30-06 bullet through it. I will then send it to my employer as a resignation notice. This will come as no surprise to my manager as I already told him my plans and he just shakes his head but has not told me once it was a bad idea. I think other than browsing the internet looking for deals my time in IT will be over.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews