JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a long one, like Old Lady Cate might've written. If you have a short attention span for rants, you are excused.

This has been a real day. Filled with frustration from beginning to end dealing with uncooperative electronic devices.

1. I called my car insurance company because they sent me policy renewal docs, but no payment stub or remittance envelope. And the policy expires June 1. So I called to see if another bill was coming? Yes, it should've been sent but wasn't. So I wound up paying my car insurance for a year in full with CC by phone. They were cooperative enough to relieve me of over $1,900-plus, up from $1,400-something last year. You know, car ins. is going up all over the country. Of course we have no option on carrying it, law requires it in Wash. I could save around $700 a year by dropping collision coverage. I'm going to think about that; it's true we don't drive much these days. But one at-fault accident can more than make it worthwhile. Since neither of us has had need for such a claim since 1987, it might make sense to drop it.

2. When I was still working, I plunked down money in a federal employee version of a 401k savings program. I was under the old Civil Service Retirement System, which was terminated in the early 1980's when the gov't switched new hires into a new retirement system. The new people had to work longer, weren't under the old CSRS for retirement, so they created a new system for them. Which was a combination of Social Security and the 401k-like program, which the gov't paid a share of. Which we old timers weren't allowed into for years. Many years later, we were finally allowed to sink money into this system as an option, but there were no matching funds for us. Strictly dollar for dollar. By then, my kids were all grown and living on their own, so I figured I wouldn't miss a bit that I put into this savings plan.

Okay, after I retired at age 57, I didn't need any of the money in this savings plan, so I just left it alone. There were ways you could go online and check up on it, manage investment funds, etc. I tried to set up access to that when I retired, but I never used it. In the meantime, they've changed that whole system anyway so it's just as well. Many years went by, the money just lay there collecting interest. Then I had the nerve to enter my 70's in age. There was a gov't rule that once you hit a certain age, you must take mandatory withdrawals. So I had to start doing that last year. I pulled out some money in October, did it on the phone, there were no problems.

You know, when they rah-rah these retirement savings plans, they push the "tax deferred earnings" button. Making you think somehow this will be of benefit later when you are earning less. Well, it hasn't worked out that way for me. It's turned out to be a taxation pain in the butt. Now I wish I'd just paid taxes on the money when I earned it, then stuck it away. Rather than deal with paying taxes on it now. Plus it impacts the bottom line on my county property tax senior citizen exemption.

Anyway, I called today to make a withdrawal for this year thinking it would go smoothly. It didn't. It blew up. We did everything the same way it was done last October and it went wrong. They said it usually takes five minutes, but can take up to 24 hours. We'll see where this goes tomorrow. What it comes down to is, I want my money and they make it difficult to get it.

I liked things a lot better when I just kept all my saved money in one place. And when I wanted some of it, I'd go to the bank, talk to a real person and they'd do what I wanted. I hate all this password and authentication code stuff. Having to use a cell phone in conjunction with an online transaction. But these days, even going to the counter in a bank is problematic. Because they've reduced staffing so much, and also because only people with problems go to the counter. Typically. Because the routine, easy transactions are done on people's phones!

3. I sell a few things on ebay. Right now, I have exactly four (4) listings. These days, it's usually something Mrs. Merkt wants me to sell for her. There's another tech nightmare. They are always jiggering around with their system and procedures, changing stuff, and in my experience, it never becomes any easier no matter what they say. I listed an item last night, and it wouldn't let me escape from international shipping. I don't do international stuff. I've done it years ago, and mostly it isn't worth the trouble. At least for things I've sold. But last night, "the system" had me locked into international shipping and I couldn't fix it. When I went to my account settings, ebay's server was down. This afternoon, I finally circled back around to it, updated a setting but it was still glitchy. To save my life, I couldn't get it to drop (in red letters) DOES NOT SHIP TO TURKEY. Not just Turkey but anywhere overseas. I suppose there is a story there somewhere.

4. Right here was the most satisfying part of my day, gardening at one of my daughter's places. Last year, I cleared out an area there that was 25 years overgrown with blackberries. I rebuilt a garden shed that was there. I planted some trees along a fence. Got irrigation to the area. Now, I'm putting in vegetable garden beds. The weather has gotten Spring-like, some things are starting to move now.

5. On my way home, I chose a route that requires a wait in a left turn lane at a controlled intersection. The wait in that line of course depends upon how many cars are ahead of you. This is a light that stays green for left turns after the green arrow goes out so you can turn when it is safe. That is, if bone-head drivers ahead of you know how to drive. Some will not proceed into the intersection after the green arrow goes away; they sit at the crosswalk and wait for the next light cycle. Holding up everyone behind them. At such intersections, they used to post signs that said, "Left Turn OK On Green Ball."

So, I was waiting in this left turn pocket. The light went to a green arrow, a few cars turned, then the light quickly went red again. The westbound lanes next to me never went green. It was a short cycled light. I never saw an emergency vehicle. So I'm guessing that maybe some smartass strobed it illegally. It happens. Then I waited through another cycle. Again the green arrow showed, some cars ahead of me went through, the green arrow turned to a green ball, and the car at the head of the line froze. I couldn't take another cycle of sitting there, wasting gasoline, so when it was safe, I got out of the left turn pocket and went straight west using an alternate route.

6. This evening, I sat down to watch TV and there was no audio. I played around with the control, nothing doing. Mrs. Merkt came down, the usual, "It was working a little while ago." So I spent 20 minutes checking my Comcast remote. Which I hate, it's one of those voice actuated things (I don't use that feature), it's tied in with the Wifi on our PC, lots of settings. The Comcast remote is paired with the TV, should've worked. I finally went online to see if I could find any guidance. In a roundabout way, I discovered that there is a "voice" button (little microphone symbol). The online instructions said if I pressed this button, I could voice command the thing to reset remote settings. When I pressed the voice button, a message showed at the top of the screen saying there wasn't enough battery action left to operate that feature. Well what the Heck. How as I to know the batteries were low? The thing would change channels and stuff. And, before I got this fancy pants remote, batteries lasted a long time. The new remote lights up the keys when you touch it, that's got to take more juice all the time. I changed the batteries and now it works like it should again. Stupid little stuff like that.

It's all calculated to drive you nuts.

It's all calculated to drive you nuts
Yep.

Wasn't 'til I retired in '22 that I started hating to do everything on-line. I have (what seems like) 40 different usernames and passwords for three bank accounts, two retirement accounts, the VA, SSA , DFAS (military retirement), PSERS (or whatever it is now, public safety employees retirement system) and then all the credit cards.

Add all my (3? 4? 5? who the F knows?) streaming TV services (yeah, I like my entertainment and sports), DirecTV, AT&T, ESPN+, it's totally out of control.

And then I have to call for some SiriusXM issue or DTV thing and talk to someone in Bangalore India that I can't freakin' understand. Don't even get me started on my 47 remote controls for the three TVs, the stereo, the radio and the alarm monitor...

Just remembered, yesterday I had to call USAA about an insurance thing question I could absolutely not find on their website... the person asked me for my PIN number... I said, WTF? I dunno, I never call you guys. Then they ask me security questions about my wife's first pet's name or her high school boyfriend. It's enough to drive me nuts.

I had to give up on that one. I can only deal with them on the phone or in person. I spent a couple of hours trying to set up an online account, it was utterly frustrating. Actually, it involved setting up accounts in two different portals for disability stuff, as I recall. It got down to the picture ID thing. Their system wouldn't take my scanned driver's license, then I took about 30 digital images of it with a camera, nothing was acceptable. You only get so many attempts on some of these things and eventually I exhausted all of them. I gave up.

Add all my (3? 4? 5? who the F knows?) streaming TV services (yeah, I like my entertainment and sports), DirecTV, AT&T, ESPN+, it's totally out of control.
Oh we've rassled with that here several times over the years. Pay for the Comcast bundle, or subscriptions to various individual services. We've become resigned to the Comcast thing out of convenience. We don't want to have to horse around changing from one service to another. And multiple services add up, next thing you know we might be shelling out the same amount or more for all the services combined.

Our son hooked us up to something he pays about $100 a year for. Since our TV is now linked to the PC, it comes through there. He demoed it for me once. And sure enough, it's got everything. I was able to watch the movie, "Counterfeit Traitor" on it, which I haven't seen scheduled on cable TV for years. BUT: There is a whole lot of toggling around with controls that you have to do to sift through the service options (connections to which by this provider I'm sure are all bootleg), then toggle through a bunch of other choices, then enter titles by alpha characters one at a time. It's too intimidating for Mrs. Merkt to deal with and I'm not crazy about it.

Our new TV is a "Smart TV." Smarter that me, I guess. I had to have our son come over and set it up. I couldn't get through the set-up program. The instructions for it were online only and involved some terms that I wasn't familiar with.

Gotta say, I feel for you man. Look, Ive been a techie all my life..since my atari days in the late 70's. Techie in the navy, have made my career in tech, hardware then coding. Got all the gadgets, do everything online..full smart home.

And I hate all of it. Turns out Im actually a luddite. I dream of '40's Norman Rockwell scenes. Analog cars. Real stores with real people selling real things. Things you can touch. Cash. Tvs that dont make your media look like crap because upscaling actually sucks. Products made in the usa, with people from the usa working at them. Banks with tellers. Grocery stores with cashiers. If they want me to bag my own stuff they should pay me minimum wage.

An EMP, asteroid strike, somthing. I'm all in for it.

Id open a real lemonaid stand and take cash thank you

I fix #5 just like I fix most of my other irritation with stupid drivers, just pass on the left. At a left turn lane here in lil' mexico I like to stay a few feet behind the car in front, so I can get around when they refuse to make a turn, due to inattention or being too drunk/doped up to drive.

Phoenix is also the place where you see a couple or few cars running red lights at almost every intersection. Left turn on red, no problem--just look both ways first

This is a long one, like Old Lady Cate might've written. If you have a short attention span for rants, you are excused.

This has been a real day. Filled with frustration from beginning to end dealing with uncooperative electronic devices.

1. I called my car insurance company because they sent me policy renewal docs, but no payment stub or remittance envelope. And the policy expires June 1. So I called to see if another bill was coming? Yes, it should've been sent but wasn't. So I wound up paying my car insurance for a year in full with CC by phone. They were cooperative enough to relieve me of over $1,900-plus, up from $1,400-something last year. You know, car ins. is going up all over the country. Of course we have no option on carrying it, law requires it in Wash. I could save around $700 a year by dropping collision coverage. I'm going to think about that; it's true we don't drive much these days. But one at-fault accident can more than make it worthwhile. Since neither of us has had need for such a claim since 1987, it might make sense to drop it.

2. When I was still working, I plunked down money in a federal employee version of a 401k savings program. I was under the old Civil Service Retirement System, which was terminated in the early 1980's when the gov't switched new hires into a new retirement system. The new people had to work longer, weren't under the old CSRS for retirement, so they created a new system for them. Which was a combination of Social Security and the 401k-like program, which the gov't paid a share of. Which we old timers weren't allowed into for years. Many years later, we were finally allowed to sink money into this system as an option, but there were no matching funds for us. Strictly dollar for dollar. By then, my kids were all grown and living on their own, so I figured I wouldn't miss a bit that I put into this savings plan.

Okay, after I retired at age 57, I didn't need any of the money in this savings plan, so I just left it alone. There were ways you could go online and check up on it, manage investment funds, etc. I tried to set up access to that when I retired, but I never used it. In the meantime, they've changed that whole system anyway so it's just as well. Many years went by, the money just lay there collecting interest. Then I had the nerve to enter my 70's in age. There was a gov't rule that once you hit a certain age, you must take mandatory withdrawals. So I had to start doing that last year. I pulled out some money in October, did it on the phone, there were no problems.

You know, when they rah-rah these retirement savings plans, they push the "tax deferred earnings" button. Making you think somehow this will be of benefit later when you are earning less. Well, it hasn't worked out that way for me. It's turned out to be a taxation pain in the butt. Now I wish I'd just paid taxes on the money when I earned it, then stuck it away. Rather than deal with paying taxes on it now. Plus it impacts the bottom line on my county property tax senior citizen exemption.

Anyway, I called today to make a withdrawal for this year thinking it would go smoothly. It didn't. It blew up. We did everything the same way it was done last October and it went wrong. They said it usually takes five minutes, but can take up to 24 hours. We'll see where this goes tomorrow. What it comes down to is, I want my money and they make it difficult to get it.

I liked things a lot better when I just kept all my saved money in one place. And when I wanted some of it, I'd go to the bank, talk to a real person and they'd do what I wanted. I hate all this password and authentication code stuff. Having to use a cell phone in conjunction with an online transaction. But these days, even going to the counter in a bank is problematic. Because they've reduced staffing so much, and also because only people with problems go to the counter. Typically. Because the routine, easy transactions are done on people's phones!

3. I sell a few things on ebay. Right now, I have exactly four (4) listings. These days, it's usually something Mrs. Merkt wants me to sell for her. There's another tech nightmare. They are always jiggering around with their system and procedures, changing stuff, and in my experience, it never becomes any easier no matter what they say. I listed an item last night, and it wouldn't let me escape from international shipping. I don't do international stuff. I've done it years ago, and mostly it isn't worth the trouble. At least for things I've sold. But last night, "the system" had me locked into international shipping and I couldn't fix it. When I went to my account settings, ebay's server was down. This afternoon, I finally circled back around to it, updated a setting but it was still glitchy. To save my life, I couldn't get it to drop (in red letters) DOES NOT SHIP TO TURKEY. Not just Turkey but anywhere overseas. I suppose there is a story there somewhere.

4. Right here was the most satisfying part of my day, gardening at one of my daughter's places. Last year, I cleared out an area there that was 25 years overgrown with blackberries. I rebuilt a garden shed that was there. I planted some trees along a fence. Got irrigation to the area. Now, I'm putting in vegetable garden beds. The weather has gotten Spring-like, some things are starting to move now.

5. On my way home, I chose a route that requires a wait in a left turn lane at a controlled intersection. The wait in that line of course depends upon how many cars are ahead of you. This is a light that stays green for left turns after the green arrow goes out so you can turn when it is safe. That is, if bone-head drivers ahead of you know how to drive. Some will not proceed into the intersection after the green arrow goes away; they sit at the crosswalk and wait for the next light cycle. Holding up everyone behind them. At such intersections, they used to post signs that said, "Left Turn OK On Green Ball."

So, I was waiting in this left turn pocket. The light went to a green arrow, a few cars turned, then the light quickly went red again. The westbound lanes next to me never went green. It was a short cycled light. I never saw an emergency vehicle. So I'm guessing that maybe some smartass strobed it illegally. It happens. Then I waited through another cycle. Again the green arrow showed, some cars ahead of me went through, the green arrow turned to a green ball, and the car at the head of the line froze. I couldn't take another cycle of sitting there, wasting gasoline, so when it was safe, I got out of the left turn pocket and went straight west using an alternate route.

6. This evening, I sat down to watch TV and there was no audio. I played around with the control, nothing doing. Mrs. Merkt came down, the usual, "It was working a little while ago." So I spent 20 minutes checking my Comcast remote. Which I hate, it's one of those voice actuated things (I don't use that feature), it's tied in with the Wifi on our PC, lots of settings. The Comcast remote is paired with the TV, should've worked. I finally went online to see if I could find any guidance. In a roundabout way, I discovered that there is a "voice" button (little microphone symbol). The online instructions said if I pressed this button, I could voice command the thing to reset remote settings. When I pressed the voice button, a message showed at the top of the screen saying there wasn't enough battery action left to operate that feature. Well what the Heck. How as I to know the batteries were low? The thing would change channels and stuff. And, before I got this fancy pants remote, batteries lasted a long time. The new remote lights up the keys when you touch it, that's got to take more juice all the time. I changed the batteries and now it works like it should again. Stupid little stuff like that.

It's all calculated to drive you nuts.
A post this long should be hanging offense.

I had to give up on that one. I can only deal with them on the phone or in person. I spent a couple of hours trying to set up an online account, it was utterly frustrating. Actually, it involved setting up accounts in two different portals for disability stuff, as I recall. It got down to the picture ID thing. Their system wouldn't take my scanned driver's license, then I took about 30 digital images of it with a camera, nothing was acceptable. You only get so many attempts on some of these things and eventually I exhausted all of them. I gave up.

Oh we've rassled with that here several times over the years. Pay for the Comcast bundle, or subscriptions to various individual services. We've become resigned to the Comcast thing out of convenience. We don't want to have to horse around changing from one service to another. And multiple services add up, next thing you know we might be shelling out the same amount or more for all the services combined.

Our son hooked us up to something he pays about $100 a year for. Since our TV is now linked to the PC, it comes through there. He demoed it for me once. And sure enough, it's got everything. I was able to watch the movie, "Counterfeit Traitor" on it, which I haven't seen scheduled on cable TV for years. BUT: There is a whole lot of toggling around with controls that you have to do to sift through the service options (connections to which by this provider I'm sure are all bootleg), then toggle through a bunch of other choices, then enter titles by alpha characters one at a time. It's too intimidating for Mrs. Merkt to deal with and I'm not crazy about it.

Our new TV is a "Smart TV." Smarter that me, I guess. I had to have our son come over and set it up. I couldn't get through the set-up program. The instructions for it were online only and involved some terms that I wasn't familiar with.
Another post, another noose.

I feel your pain in all respects, but particularly one of them: Left turn lanes have convinced me that prayer does not work.

Every sign saying "Left Turn Yield on Green" and every flashing yellow left turn arrow, I automatically begin to pray, "Please Lord, tell that driver upfront, Do not just sit at the white line, enter the intersection!!". And the Lord apparently does nothing . . . just like the driver stopped at the white line does NOTHING!

So, prayer not working, I start reciting (maybe ESP will get through to that driver) some simple instructions:

It is OK to enter the intersection!

It is LEGAL to enter the intersection!

The driver licensing manual even instructs you, "Enter the intersection!!"

ESP apparently doesn't work any better than prayer, so now I am speaking loudly:

Enter the intersection dammit, so at least YOU will get to move along when the light turns solid yellow!

But of course the bump just sits there and finally I am for real shouting:

Fool, you didn't enter the intersection and now ALL of us will sit here through the cycle and we all know YOU are going to SIT there at the white line LIKE A BUMP and do it ALL OVER AGAIN!! (this last is recited with an enthusiastic percussion beat on the steering wheel).

But of course I keep my windows rolled up and most certainly do not gesture or toot my horn because, well . . . ROAD RAGE.

I was in Eugene several weeks ago and two idiots couldn't figure out how to make the metered on-ramp signal go green. They sat and sat there, so did the line of cars behind both of those lady drivers. Never occurred to them to pull up to the sensor. They'd still be there if I hadn't "helped " them out. They got scared and thought I was trying to rob two cars side by side. Friggin college age idiots, the future of our nation is in good hands, LOL

At least your confuser or whatever device you're using to post here works!

I work in the IT world and the last thing I want to do in my free time is screw around with malfunctioning digital crap.
Ditto. I had to cut all family off from electronic support..for my own wellbeing.

I feel your pain in all respects, but particularly one of them: Left turn lanes have convinced me that prayer does not work.

Every sign saying "Left Turn Yield on Green" and every flashing yellow left turn arrow, I automatically begin to pray, "Please Lord, tell that driver upfront, Do not just sit at the white line, enter the intersection!!". And the Lord apparently does nothing . . . just like the driver stopped at the white line does NOTHING!

So, prayer not working, I start reciting (maybe ESP will get through to that driver) some simple instructions:

It is OK to enter the intersection!

It is LEGAL to enter the intersection!

The driver licensing manual even instructs you, "Enter the intersection!!"

ESP apparently doesn't work any better than prayer, so now I am speaking loudly:

Enter the intersection dammit, so at least YOU will get to move along when the light turns solid yellow!

But of course the bump just sits there and finally I am for real shouting:

Fool, you didn't enter the intersection and now ALL of us will sit here through the cycle and we all know YOU are going to SIT there at the white line LIKE A BUMP and do it ALL OVER AGAIN!! (this last is recited with an enthusiastic percussion beat on the steering wheel).

But of course I keep my windows rolled up and most certainly do not gesture or toot my horn because, well . . . ROAD RAGE.
Oh, the truth of the above is so clear to me.

I think the topic of how most people in the U.S. either never learned to drive properly, forgot how to drive, or just don't care is a topic for a separate thread.

Me, I still just struggling to get the wife to understand how to go from DirecTV to Netflix, Paramount Plus or Prime TV...

At least your confuser or whatever device you're using to post here works!
The "confuser" is really between my two ears.

I use a PC for this work; I don't know how people get along posting using tiny "keyboards" on hand-held devices. And now I'm discovering that PC's are becoming obsolete.

We replaced our PC lately, a grandson came over, saw it, and said, "I didn't know you were into gaming."

I think the topic of how most people in the U.S. either never learned to drive properly, forgot how to drive, or just don't care is a topic for a separate thread.

Me, I still just struggling to get the wife to understand how to go from DirecTV to Netflix, Paramount Plus or Prime TV...
I gave up on mine trying to get the hang of that. Everytime I did it turned into a rant about how happy she was with her old 25" tube tv, the vhs and a 'clicker'. By the way, she's not that old..just has some issue where she can't pick it up.

I drive the tv.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top