JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's slow going, mainly due to funds and time. I thought I would document my reloading table build.
I'm using the <broken link removed> for the bench as a template. My Father and I are working together on this project...though he's the brains as my woodworking skills are nowhere close to his.
About two weeks ago we got the base completed.
benchbase.jpg

Today we got the top on, (minus the upper cabinents and single layer of hardboard to top the 2 3/4inch pieces of plywood...hopefully in another couple of weeks.) as well as completed the bottom storage area. The thing weighs a ton but is coming along nicely.
bench2.jpg
bench3.jpg

reloadem, he mentioned it was two sheets of 3/4" plywood on top.

Looking great, svxr8dr. Wish I had space in my garage for a setup like that. Between the cars and the ATVs there is not much space to do work in there.

Are you going to bolt the table to the wall or you going to leave it free-standing for now?

one sheet of ply would have been plenty,but two will sure work.
before going any further,set the presses on there to see where the bolt holes are gonna go.You don't want that 2x4 that is on edge to be in the way of hold down bolts.

don't ask me how I know that.

NICE BENCH

Thanks for the feedback guys, please keep it coming. I was considering mounting everything on top of blocks that I secure to the bench. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Or is that total overkill with 2 sheets of 3/4in plywood with another 1/4in of hardboard still to go down. Thanks for the tip Throckmorton, I'm hoping to avoid any big issues. Murphy's Law is so very applicable at my house lol. I currently plan on leaving this free standing.....but we shall see. I might add it took me a month to clear enough space in my garage for this beast.

Some guys mount their presses on 3/4" plywood, and then clamp that to the table with big C clamps. That let's them get the presses out of the way when they aren't using them. He could also use threaded rod, washers and lock nuts if he couldn't find bolts which are long enough.

It is heavey enough to handle anything you will throw at it If you munt to block that have bolt down holes to attach to the table your ideal is great. Down side if you mount to blockd you eill need a shelf or cabinet to have the comonets sit in whn not in use. I am playing to go that route with my single stage press.
I also use my loading bench for a gun work bench with my gun vice on it.

Holly gee wiz... now 2 Dillion's, 1 Lee, a RCBS, and a Corbin your almost set//

Very nice can I have 3 please?

I thought I had purchased alot of stuff over the past few months getting the project to fruition. First time in my life I have more storage space than stuff. lol

Got some things mounted today...more work on Friday.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

Very, very nice. I still think you'd like it if you mounted the press and swager and trimmer etc. to pieces of 3/4 plywood, and then C clamped them to the bench as you need them. When you're finished they can pop off and go on the shelf under the bench and leave your bench clear for other projects.

$.02

Thanks a ton for the information. I converted the bottom portion of your reloading table to a 3D model with google sketchup. I thought it only fair to join the forum and let everyone know if they're interested. It's going to help me build mine, maybe it can help others... Just search for TheFrogAssassin in the google 3D warehouse :)

I built the same bench from the same plans. I used 3/4" cabinet particle board with white melamine on each side for everything but sliding doors. Edged the rough edges with clear fir strips.

Have it assembled in three modules as I had to take it upstairs to the bedroom I commandeered.

This is one heavy bench and with all the brass and bullets stored on the bottom shelf, the casefeeder on my Dillon XL-65O doesn't sway at all. Nice and steady.

One improvement I am considering for mine, and you may consider too, is tracks embeded in the work surface so some of the smaller tools and equipment can be moved around to accomodate different tasks or go into storage when not in use. I have a case trimmer, an old lee progressive I only use for de-priming 9mm brass in large quantities prior to cleaning, a concentricity gauge, that I move about as I need. The track system would make it easy to secure and remove as needed. I'll leave the dillon secured where it is on the end.

Good looking setup you have. It needs more clutter though;);)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top