JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tho statistically there is little chance of me being hit by lightning, I still come in off the lake during a thunderstorm, and I don't play golf or climb radio towers in one.

I may not see the cougar attack, but if one does, and they sometimes do, I'll have no chance at all if I don't carry a gun and/or a knife.

:s0010:

I carry a 6" .357 magnum revolver loaded with 158gr Speer Gold Dots and I carry two speed loaders when I hike. I may change over to a 40S&W semi-auto instead and use either 180gr HST or Gold Dots.

In the 1990s one munched up a woman jogger on a trail near Hwy 49. According to rush, there was more money raised to relocate the cat than take care of the woman's orphaned kids.

Cougar attack odds are probably on par with active shooter/ ISIS attacks locally. Extremely rare but it's always good be prepared and aware.

Brutus Out

Now that is just sad.

I would say 10mm as well. I carry a Glock 29 concealed as my winter cc gun. Getting a Glock 20 for open carry year-round and woods gun. 10mm has quite a bit of power behind it and is great for self defense.. 2 leg or 4 leg. Practice with run of the mill FMJ and carry a good defense load from some of the specialty loaders like Corbon, Double Tap, Underwood, and Buffalo Bore. There are some hard cast loads out there that'll put down a cat in a hurry.....if you have time to get your shot off.

Back in Montana where I grew up, (and a bit more open country tree wise than west of the Cascades) cougars have been spotted right close to Billings if not in town. And that is recently, not ancient history. Farmland has been developed and the deer and antelope have moved in closer (and in town a lot) and the cats have followed them. When the cats have not been hunted or are under any other pressure, they will make themselves right at home wherever supper presents itself. Normally they shy away from man and associated environs.

Why not just end the discussion, get a 500 S&W one shot at anything and it..'s dead meat, possibly even a leg shot

Really if you have a cougar charging you it will take a couple shots with adrenalin pumping and your pants full pf wet sharts, you would want something with more than 6 rounds.

And like many others said, if you get attacked it will probably be a blind side attack, and it will feel like you got hit by a linebacker, it will be crunching on your skull.
Easily accessible knofe a must, easily accessible handgun a must, and most important and good first aid kit.
Even better, NEVER go alone!

I'm terrible with that because going hiking alone is my private release. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, so going to the woods to destress and find peace is great for me.

Take a first aid kit, side arm, and side knife.

GTG

Tho statistically there is little chance of me being hit by lightning, I still come in off the lake during a thunderstorm, and I don't play golf or climb radio towers in one.

I may not see the cougar attack, but if one does, and they sometimes do, I'll have no chance at all if I don't carry a gun and/or a knife.

:s0010:

^^Same reason I carry a handgun and large knife on opposite sides of my body - just incase... Well that and my wife insists I take two guns with me anytime I'm outside city limits...:rolleyes:

I carry a 6" .357 magnum revolver loaded with 158gr Speer Gold Dots and I carry two speed loaders when I hike. I may change over to a 40S&W semi-auto instead and use either 180gr HST or Gold Dots.

My best handgun is also a 6" .357 mag and I always load it with Barnes hunting rounds (hell of a kick compared to plinking rounds, but I digress...) and carry at least one speed loader filled with the same.

It's another 3 lbs but well worth it if I need it - even my short hunting rifle would be too big to use against a cat or bear once they closed the distance.

I'd rely on the rifle (yup, I take one with me on off seasons too or a shotgun) until it was on me. At that point, if 6 isn't enough then I'm toast anyway - and I don't have to worry about the slide jamming with a revolver.

I'm on the 10mm bandwagon.

elsie
Now that is just sad.

I would say 10mm as well. I carry a Glock 29 concealed as my winter cc gun. Getting a Glock 20 for open carry year-round and woods gun. 10mm has quite a bit of power behind it and is great for self defense.. 2 leg or 4 leg. Practice with run of the mill FMJ and carry a good defense load from some of the specialty loaders like Corbon, Double Tap, Underwood, and Buffalo Bore. There are some hard cast loads out there that'll put down a cat in a hurry.....if you have time to get your shot off.

I'm not suggesting that a 10mm isn't powerful, but I would guess unless you hand load that you won't find any "Hunting" rounds which differ greatly from defensive rounds...

People hunt with .357mag often so there are plenty of factory rounds meant for hunting in that caliber.

Just my two penny's.

Back in Montana where I grew up, (and a bit more open country tree wise than west of the Cascades) cougars have been spotted right close to Billings if not in town. And that is recently, not ancient history. Farmland has been developed and the deer and antelope have moved in closer (and in town a lot) and the cats have followed them. When the cats have not been hunted or are under any other pressure, they will make themselves right at home wherever supper presents itself. Normally they shy away from man and associated environs.

IIRC there is a cougar that was seen in the west hills park area inside Portland city limits, and one in Lake Oswego.

I know for a fact that there is one that roams around my area - it has been seen on one of my neighbor's property just below mine. Same area a bear was seen crossing the road.

It's the woods - wild things are in the woods. I wouldn't have it any other way.

This is one of the reasons why I bought my 329PD; I wanted something light but powerful enough for almost anything I was likely to encounter, but versatile in what it could shoot.

Why not just end the discussion, get a 500 S&W one shot at anything and it..'s dead meat, possibly even a leg shot

Really if you have a cougar charging you it will take a couple shots with adrenalin pumping and your pants full pf wet sharts, you would want something with more than 6 rounds.

And like many others said, if you get attacked it will probably be a blind side attack, and it will feel like you got hit by a linebacker, it will be crunching on your skull.
Easily accessible knofe a must, easily accessible handgun a must, and most important and good first aid kit.
Even better, NEVER go alone!

I'm terrible with that because going hiking alone is my private release. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, so going to the woods to destress and find peace is great for me.

Take a first aid kit, side arm, and side knife.

GTG

What would you like your tombstone to say? :rolleyes: JIC.

Brutus Out

Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, 35, male January 8, 2004 Attacked and killed while mountain biking at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County, California. It is believed his chain fell off & the cougar attacked when he bent down to repair his bicycle."
I was just a few miles away from this attack. As I recall the cat attacked 2 female mountain bikers first (a common occurrence), Reynolds, a Marine, was also on a bike and attempted to rescue the woman who was being dragged into the brush, he even beat the cat with one of the bikes before the cat killed him. A SWAT Team was sent in with a chopper back-up, the chopper spotted the cat stalking the SWAT Team, just a few feet away. The Team turned and shredded the cat.

I have been hunting alone in cougar country for the last 15 years. Here:
WapinitaCanyon-bottomsouth.jpg
Two seasons ago I heard one scream just before sun up about 75 yards away. That will raise the hair on the back of your neck. I've discovered multiple kills over the years. In addition to my .30-06 deer rifle I carry a S&W .357 Mag, Model 66, 4" on one side and a Buck 119 on the other.

IIRC there is a cougar that was seen in the west hills park area inside Portland city limits, and one in Lake Oswego.

I know for a fact that there is one that roams around my area - it has been seen on one of my neighbor's property just below mine. Same area a bear was seen crossing the road.

It's the woods - wild things are in the woods. I wouldn't have it any other way.

This is one of the reasons why I bought my 329PD; I wanted something light but powerful enough for almost anything I was likely to encounter, but versatile in what it could shoot.
Killed in Boring, OR about 2008:
BoringCougar1.jpg

Don't underestimate the cougar or the black bear, almost every one will split as soon as it knows you know,, some don't.

The OP asked a question, and my answer would be whatever you had on hand, and I believe I wouldn't walk into a bar fight and just slap my adversary.

I do my share of hiking and was just wondering.
Considering that a mountain lion around these parts might weigh up to 120lbs, what would you suggest for an occasional day hike?

this is what I carry for outdoors. More power at 100 yds than a 9mm or 45 at the muzzle, designed for deep penetration
http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=125_178&product_id=594

Doubletapp has a great 10mm lineup there are a couple other loads Ive been tempted to order. They have a great lineup of all the usual self defense calibers loaded for outdoors protection use even in 9mm actually.

i used to be comfortable with my .45 1911, until i came within 4ft of a growling big cat by accident, thought i was stalking a deer in heavy brush, turned out to be a big cat... i carry a 10mm hicap now in those areas.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top