JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah. But only the left tries to legislate intelligence like "safe storage" laws.
Nature is brutal and cruel, life is unfair and will always be but its even harder on those who werent taught intelligence. There will always be hard learned lessons, in this case she got off easy (there was a purse carry case years ago where the kid shot the mom in the store dead).
Stupidity should be painful. Sadly all too often any more we protect the stupid from the pain so they learn nothing. :s0092:

yeah. But only the left tries to legislate intelligence like "safe storage" laws.
Nature is brutal and cruel, life is unfair and will always be but it's even harder on those who werent taught intelligence. There will always be hard learned lessons, in this case she got off easy (there was a purse carry case years ago where the kid shot the mom in the store dead).
I love natural selection.

I have an issue when innocent people are hurt due to incompetence.

Stupidity should be painful. Sadly all too often any more we protect the stupid from the pain so they learn nothing. :s0092:

I love natural selection.

I have an issue when innocent people are hurt due to incompetence.
----
it cuts both ways. We are all human and make mistakes.
I tend to be less compassionate when its negligence...

I imagine the purse mom being told by some "experienced" gun owner to get a CCW purse....

----

I imagine the purse mom being told by some "experienced" gun owner to get a CCW purse....
Probably not. More than likely a striker fired pistol, throw in a purse without a holster.

We may feel differently if the round that was fired lodged itself in one of our loved ones shopping down at the other end of the aisle.

----

I am an EXPERT at doing mistakes. That is NOT what I call letting your 2 YO get your gun out of your purse though. Growing up making mistakes tended to cause me pain. So I tended to learn NOT to keep doing the same things. Now? Too many are protected from mistakes. Excuses are made for every poor choice. So those making them learn nothing.

I am an EXPERT at doing mistakes. That is NOT what I call letting your 2 YO get your gun out of your purse though. Growing up making mistakes tended to cause me pain. So I tended to learn NOT to keep doing the same things. Now? Too many are protected from mistakes. Excuses are made for every poor choice. So those making them learn nothing.
Pain retains.

Im not disagreeing with you both so then whats the solution here. Should the mom lose her gun rights?
That is a rough one. I would have to hope she learned a lesson here. I do think she should feel some real pain for this not so much for her but to make an example. She got REAL lucky no one was hurt. Maybe if this screw up caused her some real pain? Maybe someone else who is this careless would not be going to a funeral caused by their carelessness?

I'd be ok with that. Atleast for a period of time.

Some form of probation.
gun control. but I agree with you...
That is a rough one. I would have to hope she learned a lesson here. I do think she should feel some real pain for this not so much for her but to make an example. She got REAL lucky no one was hurt. Maybe if this screw up caused her some real pain? Maybe someone else who is this careless would not be going to a funeral caused by their carelessness?
it is a rough one. Not an easy solution. She got lucky. There are all levels of stupidity here, while back a mom purse carried and her toddler kid found it and in the grocery isle and shot her dead. Ultimate price for stupidity.

What should be done to the parents who refuse to lock up their guns at home and their kid finds it and accidentally kills their sibling?

it is a rough one. Not an easy solution. She got lucky. There are all levels of stupidity here, while back a mom purse carried and her toddler kid found it and in the grocery isle and shot her dead. Ultimate price for stupidity.

What should be done to the parents who refuse to lock up their guns at home and their kid finds it and accidentally kills their sibling?
To me? A gun should be NO different than any other item of possible danger. I have a bottle of Oxi here for my back. If I were to leave it out when I had a small child here and they got into it and died? To me this would be no different than if I left a gun laying there. People who want to keep a large dog that they know has potential and it kills? Should be just the same as if they left a gun laying in their front yard.

I have a pretty hard stance against neglect.

I also think you can/should loose your right to own a firearm. Depending on actions/events.

Flame suit on.

Compassion for events that could have been easily avoided (simply by being responsible) is not something I have.

Parents should be charged with neglect and some form of criminal act.

...what is even scarier, is armed toddlers on isle #5, isn't the very worst thing walmart has going on at any given moment!

Nature is brutal and cruel, life is unfair and will always be but its even harder on those who werent taught intelligence. There will always be hard learned lessons, in this case she got off easy (there was a purse carry case years ago where the kid shot the mom in the store dead).
I suspect the case your thinking of happened at the Walmart near me. A mother was shot and killed by her toddler. She was not known to me however was known to friends of mine, she was known locally as a gun advocate and good responsible mother.
I wasn't there, however incidents like this make me question the safety of striker fired guns especially for off body carry. FWIW its my understanding that her level of training was above average.
I feel sorry for the child having to live with this.

Mother shot in Hayden
More news links

I suspect the case your thinking of happened at the Walmart near me. A mother was shot and killed by her toddler. She was not known to me however was known to friends of mine, she was known locally as a gun advocate and good responsible mother.
I wasn't there, however incidents like this make me question the safety of striker fired guns especially for off body carry. FWIW its my understanding that her level of training was above average.

Mother shot in Hayden
More news links
thats the one I remembered. I have compassion for her, and her child... but her level of training was below average. If she had training I dont see how anyone would recommend purse carry for a mom.

I'm pretty no nonsense when it comes to endangering others. She should lose her right to a kid and a gun.

Sorry but not sorry. Actions should have consequences, severe consequences.

This country has gotten way to soft and the lack of discipline is appalling.

Mother shot in Hayden
More news links
Good point. If you have little kids the gun should A) be as inaccessible as possible to them and B) have a manual safety. At least a safety lengthens the amount of time between curiosity and bang. Purse carry should be an absolute no with young kids. Not a law, mind you, just a commonly held standard.

Mother shot in Hayden
More news links
Makes me question off the body carry all together.

Striker fired pistols have much lighter triggers and often times no safety. So to a child or someone with no knowledge of the operation or safety of a firearm it could be a recipe for disaster. Not to say it couldn't happen with a revolver or DA gun but the likelihood would be less and it may give the parent a few extra seconds/buffer to realize their mistake and intervene. But at the end of the day it falls on the shoulders of the gun owner.

This is coming from someone who strictly carry's a Glock and is around young kids on a regular basis.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top