JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed two gun safety bills into law in April, requiring universal background checks for all gun sales and the safe storage of firearms and ammunition in homes which has led to Michigan prosecutors charging a father for violating the state's newly enacted safe storage law. After his son, allegedly, got a hold of a firearm and shot himself in the face in their home.

Theo Nichols' 8-year-old son was in "extremely critical condition," at a Detroit hospital following the April 19 incident, police in Warren, Michigan, said at a news conference Wednesday. Investigators said the boy used a chair to access the handgun which was "unsafely" and insecurely stored on top of a kitchen cabinet.

"In the wake of this tragic incident, we are reminded of the profound responsibility that comes with gun ownership," Macomb County Prosecutor Peter J. Lucido said in a statement. Nichols, the child's mother and three of the child's siblings were inside the home during the incident, police said. Nichols was not permitted to own a firearm due to a previous drug-related conviction, according to police.

Last year, the Michigan state legislature passed a law that requires firearm owners to either store their weapons in a secure, locked container or have a lock on the weapon if a minor lives in the home or if they know a minor is coming into their home. The law, which went into effect in February, issues lengthy prison time if convicted.

Can someone PLEASE tell me WTF is a universal background check ?
I reckon it is where all gun buyers have their criminal and mental backgrounds checked by whatever authorities to make sure they ae not felons or convicted of domestic violence (or other mental problems)? I have no ideas how things work in WA but here in Oregon we need to have a background check made during firearm purchases. I could be wrong and if someone wants to set me straight, that is fine.

VERY sad and tragic. parents are getting hit twice. Stuff like this would not bother me as much as it does if not for the LARGE numbers of "parents" that the state allows to keep kids who are scum. Those kids rather than only suffer one accident endure YEARS of abuse until they are finally taken after its too late. Yet this will make the far left kook law makers there so proud.

A registry of firearms AND their owners is most accurate.
Well yes but ""officially"" 4473s aren't "gun registrations" . ( :s0140: :rolleyes: ) However, every "legally sold" firearm (made after 1968) sold from companies have paper trails from factory to FFLs to owners via 4473s. Its literally how "FBI traces" need to work. The big information they take up with the "UBCs" are the owner's info, and part of the firearm info (serial and make and type), but that's federally.

Edit to make it simple

The Feds already have the gun and owner info from FFLs via 4473s, what the "UBC" does is to provide more data on where firearms and which person gets them, thus increasing the information available for State and Feds to "track" guns and grow who they know have firearms besides the free(er) criminal elements

I wonder if the father knew about the safe storage law...
Even if he didn't, it's still not enough of a defense against the law.
"Ignorance of the law is not a defense", has been one of the major principles of the US legal system.

I wonder if the father knew about the safe storage law...
No, because he didn't know he was a prohibited person either. Because if he did, he obviously wouldn't have owned a firearm.

/sarc.

-sad story all around, also simply proves laws rules & regs mean absolutely nothing to irresponsible folks & infringe responsible folks...

Does anyone know if there are any "strings" attached to their law like theft reporting and crime liability?

Or is it just simply a true safe storage law?

Looks like hes being charged with illegal possession as he has a previous drug conviction, plus the safe storage law.
The storage law made no difference even if he was aware of it.....

In that case sounds like they are just stacking charges against him. Would suspect that way they will dangle some "offer" in front of him.

Can someone PLEASE tell me WTF is a universal background check ?
26 Republican attorneys general sue to block Biden rule requiring background checks at gun shows

The lawsuit argues the new rule violates the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and that Democratic President Joe Biden doesn't have the authority to implement it.

"Congress has never passed into law the ATF's dramatic new expansion of firearms dealer license requirements, and President Biden cannot unilaterally impose them," Arkansas Attorney General Tim Griffin said in a statement. "This lawsuit is just the latest instance of my colleagues in other states and me having to remind the President that he must follow the law."

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top