JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My question: The range I frequent is also the closest range for many Washington residents, they regularly outnumber Orgonians during our "Tactical Sunday" shoots. So, will Washingtonian's be able to bring they're legally owned standard cap mags to the range? Any other ways this effects non residents that regularly frequent Oregon ranges?
Should be no problem - use at a range is specifically included.

But someone else pointed out, you need to check WA law to see if bringing them back is legal!

Should be no problem - use at a range is specifically included.

But someone else pointed out, you need to check WA law to see if bringing them back is legal!
Thanks for the reply, I don't know much about WA gun laws so I amended my question to apply to all non residents.

I don't see any exemption for non residents, recreational use or otherwise, so wouldn't they be importing a verboten mag(s)?

Or, we could merge all of the threads so I don't have to post in 40 different places!
You still posting in these? I'm pretty much done. It's not there's anything new. And not like there's anything to be done. And unless I spend all my time on these, you can't keep up. Step away for a time and there's 100 posts to catch up on. I'll just have to risk missing something fantastical. :D
Enjoy!

You still posting in these? I'm pretty much done. It's not there's anything new. And not like there's anything to be done. And unless I spend all my time on these, you can't keep up. Step away for a time and there's 100 posts to catch up on. I'll just have to risk missing something fantastical. :D
Enjoy!
Actually this is incorrect. There are multiple questions here that have still been unanswered. If you'd like to go back and read my original post then contribute like everyone else has it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! (As much as all this is now the new unknown and there is much we CANT answer, I get it)..

I tried to give the measure text another careful read with respect to the "permit to purchase" provisions. I've come to the conclusion that it is perfectly legal to travel to any other state, acquire a firearm in compliance with local laws, and then return to Oregon. Does anyone disagree?

I suppose this raises other procedural questions for this kind of scenarion: whether any states prohibit this, whether they contact the county of residence, etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have input on this.

I tried to give the measure text another careful read with respect to the "permit to purchase" provisions. I've come to the conclusion that it is perfectly legal to travel to any other state, acquire a firearm in compliance with local laws, and then return to Oregon. Does anyone disagree?

I suppose this raises other procedural questions for this kind of scenarion: whether any states prohibit this, whether they contact the county of residence, etc..

Disagree. Based on my experience being a harsh resident, AFT enforces state laws in different states. For example, Hawaii has a long gun permit, and I couldn't buy a rifle in Oregon without having the permit in Oregon even if the rifle would never return to Hawaii.

Federal law prohibits pistol purchases out of state.

I suppose this raises other procedural questions for this kind of scenarion: whether any states prohibit this, whether they contact the county of residence, etc.

Also disagree - it's Federal 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5); violation is risking a $10K fine AND 5 years in Federal prison for everyone involved. https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?hl=false&edition=prelim&req=granuleid:USC-1994-title18-section922&num=0

One may buy a long gun at an FFL in any state IF that sale follows the laws of all the states involved - buyer's state, FFL shop's state, and if private seller, the seller's state. That's the buy it and bring it home version. Since it would not go through an OR FFL, the PTP stuff might not apply, but it could - laws of the OR residents state; how an out of state FFL could verify an OR PTP might be an issue, and the suggestion that some or many out of state FFLs might not sell to OR residents at all is worth remembering.

If it's a handgun, however, that handgun must be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's state, and delivered there. That's why CA residents are unable to buy 'off-Roster' handguns out of state - cannot be delivered to them by the CA FFL unless the transfer is somehow exempt. And that's what will cross up OR residents when the Permit-to-purchase garbage goes into effect - one would need the PTP so the OR FFL could deliver the gun.

Some states allow their own residents to buy/sell without an FFL; that permission does NOT apply to residents of other states.

18 USC 922 has been law since 1968; very few people know about it, and no one would look at that and think interstate transfers might be a crime - this is mala prohibitum ('bad because we say so') rather than mala in se ('bad in itself', like theft). So, anecdotally, this seems to happen a lot, though since it does not get recorded, can't say how often.

Enjoy!
Mostly just browse through them. Occasionally I see something I might like at.

Disagree. Based on my experience being a harsh resident, AFT enforces state laws in different states. For example, Hawaii has a long gun permit, and I couldn't buy a rifle in Oregon without having the permit in Oregon even if the rifle would never return to Hawaii.

Federal law prohibits pistol purchases out of state.
Also disagree - it's Federal 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5); violation is risking a $10K fine AND 5 years in Federal prison for everyone involved. https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?hl=false&edition=prelim&req=granuleid:USC-1994-title18-section922&num=0

One may buy a long gun at an FFL in any state IF that sale follows the laws of all the states involved - buyer's state, FFL shop's state, and if private seller, the seller's state. That's the buy it and bring it home version. Since it would not go through an OR FFL, the PTP stuff might not apply, but it could - laws of the OR residents state; how an out of state FFL could verify an OR PTP might be an issue, and the suggestion that some or many out of state FFLs might not sell to OR residents at all is worth remembering.

If it's a handgun, however, that handgun must be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's state, and delivered there. That's why CA residents are unable to buy 'off-Roster' handguns out of state - cannot be delivered to them by the CA FFL unless the transfer is somehow exempt. And that's what will cross up OR residents when the Permit-to-purchase garbage goes into effect - one would need the PTP so the OR FFL could deliver the gun.

Some states allow their own residents to buy/sell without an FFL; that permission does NOT apply to residents of other states.

18 USC 922 has been law since 1968; very few people know about it, and no one would look at that and think interstate transfers might be a crime - this is mala prohibitum ('bad because we say so') rather than mala in se ('bad in itself', like theft). So, anecdotally, this seems to happen a lot, though since it does not get recorded, can't say how often.
This is incredibly helpful, thank you both.

I know we have to have these discussions, but when we start trying to figure out the best way to comply with the leftists, I always have the feeling that we're getting 'lost in the weeds'.

The gun-control road our society is on is well-known (or should be). Maybe the young folks aren't being taught history in schools anymore. If they knew what was at stake, I think fewer folks would be voting for things like 114.

158A2CAD-A801-4447-A8CB-ACB915E0304A.jpeg

8B9D4FA5-1946-4E40-B3D8-597190476553.jpeg

54589A4B-90BF-4188-A85C-28F512747970.jpeg

"Lift Every Voice Oregon committee members are conferring with state lawmakers and state police on setting up a Measure 114 committee and workgroup to write the rules on everything from the information sought on permit application forms to the type of courses required for safety training.

The proponents' goal is to have a committee that includes a wide range of stakeholders."

LEVO will have input into the rule making process? That's BS! I hope the stakeholders committee includes gun rights organizations.

2 boxes? Those are rookie numbers there oremike. How bout adding a few zero's after that..... :s0069:
Some of us are from the generation of "a 30-30 in the closet with a box of cartridges up on the shelf, revolver in the nightstand and box of bullets in the dresser". It appears those days are gone forever, we've got thousands of drug addicts in the wind armed with glocks with 33 round mags. That have absolutely nothing stopping them from attacking us decent citizens. New gun owners should stock up before Ammo is the gun grabbers next target.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads