JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted to have a One Powder Option for these two calibers as well. I found that CFE223 fits the bill to a "T".

As usual, work up your load for best performance in your rifle but Hodgdon's data is pretty much spot on for start/max.

I'm kind of "knee deep" in .223 loaded ammo right now so I have focused on it's use in .308. Best loads in my 24" 5-R Milspec so far are 48.1 gr under a 168gr A-Max @ 2.820 OAL (2734 fps avg) and 44.9 under a 178 gr A-Max. @ 2.820" OAL (2545 fps avg.)

The working range for a 55gr bullet in .223 is 26gr to 27.8, 3133 fps to 3329 fps from Hodgdon's test barrels. I'll probably start my load around 26.5 gr and see what transpires.

What I love about the CFE223 is that it meters like flowing water in my Dillon Powder measure and each powder drop is well within the +/- .1 gr variance that is withing the same tolerances of most scales. In my .308 loads I don't need to use a drop tube to keep from crunching granules like with varget.

Now for the really, really, great part. I don't have to clean my .308 bore as many times while shooting. In fact, I don't have to clean it at all during a shooting session. When I get home and do clean the bore, I find almost NO COPPER. Even when I swab and soak the bore for half an hour using Sweets 7.62 the amount of "blue" on the patch is negligible. The copper fouling reducing agent really does it's job.

Fortunately, I laid in a good supply (cases) of this powder before the world lost it's mind.

CFE223, H335, varget, 4895, are all good choices for these calibers. the .223 and the .308 have very close case geometries, as a consequence both cartridges tend to like the same powders over a wide range of bullet weights. Personally, I tend to load H335 for .223 and Varget or IMR3031 for .308 as it's easier to get 335 into that tiny case mouth, but the bigger stick powders flow fine into the big .30 cal mouth.

Thanks guys.... Those are hard to find at times but will keep looking, I did find and bought AA2520, and TAC... Any input on these powders?????

I have a pound of tac I've been meaning to mess around with, but it looks like one of the new generation of super powders... delivers good pressure and velocity characteristics. It looks awesome on paper, I hope it delivers in loaded ammo. I never messed with the AA powders much, however I talked to western at SHOT and will probably be buying bulk from them in the future, so I'll know soon enough.

You might also look at Hogdgon's BL-C(2), I use it in both my 223 and 308 with very good results.

BLC2 is a slightly slower version of H335. It's also a double-base ball powder, so it tends to be a bit dirtier, however it meters like a champ!

what he said.

RL15 has also given me good results, but it is more temp sensitive. I have not tried tit yet, but I've read VV140 makes very accurate loads, but like RL15, is temp sensitive.

RL15 and VV140 IIRC are both double base (NG and NC) powders, most of hodgdon's "extreme" powders are made by ADI in australia... further, they are all single base, or if they are double base don't contain NG, they use nitroguanidine. The other powders that tend to perform are the IMR powders made by general dynamics canada (marketed by hodgdon) which are all single base powders.

Personally, I like the performance of single base propellants more than the double base variety... they are more temp stable, cleaner burning, and other than usually being more expensive and not metering as well, I would use them almost exclusively. The only advantage to ball powders (H335/BLC2) are they are cheap.

I have a pound of tac I've been meaning to mess around with, but it looks like one of the new generation of super powders... delivers good pressure and velocity characteristics. It looks awesome on paper, I hope it delivers in loaded ammo. I never messed with the AA powders much, however I talked to western at SHOT and will probably be buying bulk from them in the future, so I'll know soon enough.

One of our older and much accomplished BR shooters at my club (that means lots of records and trophies) is really a big fan of TAC. From .308 down through all the BR cartridges, he likes it a lot. He's one of those guys who's targets with 5 "dots" on it has only 5 holes in it, even though he's fired as many as 50 rounds at it.

Hey guys thanks! Keep ur ideas Coming.... Cuz I'm not seeing the powders ya all talked abt, the more info the better! I have had to adjust my pistol powder cuz of what is avalable also.

As buying instead ww231.... AA#2 and bullseye prefer ball powder but will work.

Thanks again!!!!

what he said.

RL15 has also given me good results, but it is more temp sensitive. I have not tried tit yet, but I've read VV140 makes very accurate loads, but like RL15, is temp sensitive.

I spoke to a rep who said that the temp senstive issues with R15 were resolved a few years ago. He pointed me to the statement on the R15 container that states as much. He said the powder today is more stable than even Varget. I had not heard this before.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top