JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately I've been wanting to get into M1 Garands. My Dad carried one in Africa in 1942 for sure, maybe in Italy too, but might have transitioned to M1 Carbine by then. 8th Army Combat Engineers.
Anyway, if I wanted to have the best shooter, all things being the same in regards to condition, did any manufacturer, WW2 and after, build a better rifle? Was any year a better gun, also.
Ild love to have several but need to focus on just one for now. Ild appreciate any insights you could share. Thanks in advance

Lately I've been wanting to get into M1 Garands. My Dad carried one in Africa in 1942 for sure, maybe in Italy too, but might have transitioned to M1 Carbine by then. 8th Army Combat Engineers.
Anyway, if I wanted to have the best shooter, all things being the same in regards to condition, did any manufacturer, WW2 and after, build a better rifle? Was any year a better gun, also.
Ild love to have several but need to focus on just one for now. Ild appreciate any insights you could share. Thanks in advance
Garands are something of an anomaly vs other rifles you may be used to.
They were heavily arsenal rebuilt and parts mixed, re-parkerized. You may have a Springfield receiver with parts from other manufacturers. I'd say condition of barrel, throat and crown are most important. Stocks were and are frequently switched.
Since they are collected, rarity, year, cartouches, maker etc. will be more factor in price than function. I don't know of any maker that are "junk" or any that are prime. The best were supposably hand picked for sniper models M1C, D) and then you have National Match rifles.
My Springfield has some National Match parts like the op rod, original barrel, but sights marked HRA. when I bought it from CMP, it was service grade, but based on the wear in the bore and throat and finish, it saw little action And could have graded higher.
It's a great shooter.

He_s_Right.png

WW2 mfns
Springfield
Winchester

Korean War mfns add
IHC
H&R

Italians....forgetaboutit for now.
Breda

Better.....find one with the best barrel. Perhaps even an aftermarket barrel. But $$$$ is always an issue.
Best Mfn......it's been said that they were all GTG.

Yeah.....
I like farm guns (IHC).
M1-Garand-IHC.jpg
I like Winchester because it says, Winchester.
M1-Winchester.jpg
I like Springfields because it's from the Govt arsenal.
M1-Garand-Springfield.jpg
I like H&R because it's a well-known gun mfn. not like the others.
M1-Garand-H-R.jpg

Rrrrright....take your pick. Or get all of them.

Aloha, Mark

PS....why not start with the easy.....and that would be IMHO.....Springfield.
That being said....
get-off-my-lawn.jpg

Last Edited:
H&R made the nicest looking M1's if you can find one with an LMR barrel even better

Springfield and Winchester were the only WWll manufacturers.

Winchester and International Harvester bring the must bucks even though the Winchesters are the roughest as far as forging and milling marks go.

They were heavily arsenal rebuilt and parts mixed, re-parkerized. You may have a Springfield receiver with parts from other manufacturers. I'd say condition of barrel, throat and crown are most important. Stocks were and are frequently switched.
Since they are collected, rarity, year, cartouches, maker etc. will be more factor in price than function. I don't know of any maker that are "junk" or any that are prime. The best were supposably hand picked for sniper models M1C, D) and then you have National Match rifles.
My Springfield has some National Match parts like the op rod, original barrel, but sights marked HRA. when I bought it from CMP, it was service grade, but based on the wear in the bore and throat and finish, it saw little action And could have graded higher.
It's a great shooter.
It's a great shooter.
Thanks for the input,
It seems like they get turned into Johhny Cash's Cadillac after ther get rebuilt. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I had one make over the other, originally configured, if there was one that's the top dog. I know of one with a T on the barrel, post Korea, that I'm told stands for Target, pre-National Match. Rifle is in nice shape, does not apear to be Arsenal reworked , very little swapping from CMP.
I really like it cosmetically . It's a Springfield
Leaning towards buying it. Others available I've found are a WW2 Springfield looks like it's seen heavy use, is a import (not blue sky)
Has some mix-match of parts and has a prior history of jamming, Has nice war time patina,
Other that I've found is a IH "gap" Korea era , nice shape , is also somewhat of a mix master CMP gun.
So far the post war Springfield floats my boat.

View attachment 822689

WW2 mfns
Springfield
Winchester

Korean War mfns add
IHC
H&R

Italians....forgetaboutit for now.
Breda

Better.....find one with the best barrel. Perhaps even an aftermarket barrel. But $$$$ is always an issue.
Best Mfn......it's been said that they were all GTG.

Yeah.....
I like farm guns (IHC).
View attachment 822676
I like Winchester because it says, Winchester.
View attachment 822677
I like Springfields because it's from the Govt arsenal.
View attachment 822678
I like H&R because it's a well-known gun mfn. not like the others.
View attachment 822679

Rrrrright....take your pick. Or get all of them.

Aloha, Mark

PS....why not start with the easy.....and that would be IMHO.....Springfield.
That being said....
View attachment 822690
Thanks for the input Mark
Ild like to have a herd actually :)
I've got a chance for a gap IH but a post war Springfield I know of looks like will be my first buy. More original and better looking between the two.

Best shooter? The one you're holding in your hand that goes blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam ping every time and puts a ear to ear smile on your face. My 2 service grade M1s do that, after one minor hickup wiht my first, and are to me best shooters. I will spend the $$$ on ammo. There are better platforms for accuracy, and better platforms for reliability. It's a war rifle, used by average GI, why make it fancy?

Best shooter? The one you're holding in your hand that goes blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam ping every time and puty a ear to ear smile on your face. My 2 service grade M1s do that, after one minor hickup wiht my first, and are to me best shooters. I will spend the $$$ on ammo.
I suspect the one that gives the biggest smile works best then, :)

Seriously thou. Get a good CMP gun, run it for a while, see what you like and don't like, and go from there. You can always get your money back selling it. First hand experience is probably the best teacher.

I suspect the one that gives the biggest smile works best then, :)

I have shot M1s in matches for many years. M1 accuracy is a lot dependent upon proper fitting of parts especially the stock. Service Rifle matches at DRRC are mostly Garands. You can check out the scores on there web site. Competing with a M1 is fun because it's more shorter skill than home much money you spend on equipment. Other clubs conduct Vintage rifle matches. Let me know if you're interested I can hook you up. Every M1 I have purchased from the CMP has been great shooters. FYI. A 308 M1 are not legal for competition . H&R M1s in my experience are one of the best shooters.

I have shot M1s in matches for many years. M1 accuracy is a lot dependent upon proper fitting of parts especially the stock. Service Rifle matches at DRRC are mostly Garands. You can check out the scores on there web site. Competing with a M1 is fun because it's more shorter skill than home much money you spend on equipment. Other clubs conduct Vintage rifle matches. Let me know if you're interested I can hook you up. Every M1 I have purchased from the CMP has been great shooters. FYI. A 308 M1 are not legal for competition . H&R M1s in my experience are one of the best shooters.
Hey thanks!
Ild like that. I'm on the hunt for my first elusive M1. Ild buy straight from the CMP
But it will probably be this summer before I'm eligible . I joined the Garand Collectors group to fulfill one of the CMP participation requirements and that by itself is taking 6 weeks to get my member number ( I applied 3 weeks ago) then I ll have all the requisites out of the way to begin the buying process. Which I understand takes another 4 months. Since it's so long from now, I thought Ild just buy one from a private party, and have some fun. Wanted one in memory of my Dad ( Ww2) or his best friend (Korea), but just getting one for me to enjoy is more relevant, I can collect later if I don't get one of those first.
Ild get a kick out of shooting with others of the same interest. Thanks for the 308 heads up, fortunately that's not my direction. If you hear of a M1 that needs a loving home, hit me up in that too. Thank you for the insights

I bought a CMP special grade M1 because I wanted a shooter not a collector.

I believe the specials get a new barrel and stock. The stock is very basic, so I recently used tung oil on it. That turned out pretty nice. It shoots great, and given how the CMP goes over them and replaces any parts that look bad I am confident it will function for years to come.

I wish they offered a "special", but with USGI wood. I would have gladly paid extra for that. I know I can but old USGI wood, but it is getting harder to find.

DRRC have M1 rifles to loan for their matches. They also have spotting scopes and mats for loan. Ammo is available for purchase for the matches. Learn to shoot position. I started shooting M1 matches in the early 80s