JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't been paying too much attention to all the draconian gun bills in WA state, but provided that the Blue Hairs in OR state pass their gun bill this session, we will no longer be able to possess standard-capacity magazines in public anymore. They'll only be legal at home, at a shooting range, or traveling to and fro. I'm paraphrasing and simplifying a bit, but that's about it. No more carrying/packing one of the two or three 15-round magazines your Glock originally came with.

Setting aside all the political bullflop, speculation about legal challenges, or individual acts of defiance, I'm curious as to the best way to store magazines long-term. I'm talking like 20-30 year storage, to hand down to my children or grandchildren.

Old-timers and fudds like me probably remember the days of ordering vintage firearms and accessories through the Shotgun News and receiving things absolutely soaked/caked in Cosmoline. While it was a pain to clean off, I can't say anything bad about it's anti-corrosion properties. I once got a .50 BMG barrel from WWII stock and it looked brand-new after I cleaned the cosmo off. More recently, I got some 1970s HK G3 and FN/FAL mags, and they came wrapped in a waxy sort of butcher paper with an anti-corrosion coating. The mags were absolutely pristine.

Some of the mags and drums I have are expensive, so I'd like to take care and preserve these items. One 100-round Tommy gun drum for example is a few hundred bucks.

One other consideration / concern is that many of my mags and drums now have a mixture of polymer and steel (e.g. the body of all Glock mags, the followers, and the baseplates of most all mags are polymer). Therefore I need to make sure whatever I'm using to protect the metal parts won't discolor or damage the polymer parts).

Some methods I'm considering:
What say you all? Anyone have a favorite storage method or product? Especially for the moist humidity of the PNW? Thanks in advance.

Last Edited:
No different than storing a firearm. Keep them dry, lightly oiled. They will live longer than you. If you have a safe? They work great assuming they are safe for the guns. If not clean, dry, lightly oiled. They are just metal. I have several mags that are older than I am and they are fine.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top