JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For ladies, guns are like bras--let her "try different ones on" for herself and decide what fits HER best.

Better comparison, they're like thong underwear, one size most assuredly DOES NOT fit all!

You aren't with her in the Ladies room. If she gets attacked in a restaurant or store its more likely to be there than elsewhere. If you and hubby are driving somewhere and stop for gas she can be attacked in the ladies room. Or attacked in the car while you are in the men's room. And if attackers are multiple bad guys with guns it would be better if both of you were armed.
Thanks for the concern…..

If she doesn't want to carry I'm not going to force her too. All I can do is encourage her to do so. It's her choice. She's a grown up and knows the world she lives in. It's a little thing called risk assessment.

OP, since you're new here I'm gonna share a philosophy that I've long found to serve me well in helping new shooters select hardware and learn the ropes.

Your job is NOT to lead her down your path--your job is to hold the torch to light her way nd point out landmarks to let her find her OWN path. For various reasons like biomechanics and physiology she may have different needs than you do, may not be ale to do things the way you do and/or may be able to do things you can't (I remember Mas Ayoob once sharing a photo of one of the lady instructors who worked with him cracking off three full power 12-gauge rounds from a pumpgun with all three hulls in the air very close together, total time from first to last around two seconds), so give her the room to grow and blossom into her own flower with thorns. :)

OP, since you're new here I'm gonna share a philosophy that I've long found to serve me well in helping new shooters select hardware and learn the ropes.

Your job is NOT to lead her down your path--your job is to hold the torch to light her way nd point out landmarks to let her find her OWN path. For various reasons like biomechanics and physiology she may have different needs than you do, may not be ale to do things the way you do and/or may be able to do things you can't (I remember Mas Ayoob once sharing a photo of one of the lady instructors who worked with him cracking off three full power 12-gauge rounds from a pumpgun with all three hulls in the air very close together, total time from first to last around two seconds), so give her the room to grow and blossom into her own flower with thorns. :)
Oh absolutely I agree that's why I said it's up to her what she wants to shoot 9 mm 380 Glock, M and P Sig etc whichever one works best for her. And who knows she may not want one of her own. Just choose to carry one of mine.

Grip angle is one of the big things to watch for - you want something that will "point" such that if held in her hand with the index finger pointed straight out, the barrel will be parallel to her index finger.

Another thing is, have her hold her hand in a fist at arm's length, like she's just thrown a punch. Look at her knuckles: if they form a mostly vertical stack like old-school Jack Dempsey bare-knuckles boxing, that is more suitable for around the 85-degree grip angle of a 1911. If the index or index and middle fingers are way out in front karate-style, that's more the realm of a Glock's grip angle. (In between, my index and middle are slightly ahead of the other two but not to Karate Student level, and I find a 1911A1 with arched mainspring housing fits me best.) I have NEVER been able to figure out what they were thinking at Beretta with the 92/96 family's grip angle...

Thanks for the concern…..

If she doesn't want to carry I'm not going to force her too. All I can do is encourage her to do so. It's her choice. She's a grown up and knows the world she lives in. It's a little thing called risk assessment.
True. But you can point out that you are not some kind of magical shield that can protect her when she's in the ladies room and you arent. And attackers frequently do run in gangs. And you aren't so all powerful that she is automatically all safe because of your presence. If there is one attacker attacking the two of you he will start by neutralizing the male. If you're lying there unconscious it would be very nice if your wife thought of you as another vulnerable human whom she might need to save, and so was carrying, instead of imagining you to be omnipotent and being helpless to save either herself or you if were compromised .

True. But you can point out that you are not some kind of magical shield that can protect her when she's in the ladies room and you arent. And attackers frequently do run in gangs. And you aren't so all powerful that she is automatically all safe because of your presence. If there is one attacker attacking the two of you he will start by neutralizing the male. If you're lying there unconscious it would be very nice if your wife thought of you as another vulnerable human whom she might need to save, and so was carrying, instead of imagining you to be omnipotent and being helpless to save either herself or you if were compromised .
SO MUCH THIS. "What If I Go Down" plans are absolutely essential - this is an extreme example, but the threat to my ex from HER ex was so severe that I once gave her standing instructions that if I tossed her my sidearm and I wasn't on the ground or falling fast toward it, she was to shoot him THROUGH me. (Remember, I had signed on the dotted line as Executive Protection, so I was "expendable.")

Grip angle is one of the big things to watch for - you want something that will "point" such that if held in her hand with the index finger pointed straight out, the barrel will be parallel to her index finger.

Another thing is, have her hold her hand in a fist at arm's length, like she's just thrown a punch. Look at her knuckles: if they form a mostly vertical stack like old-school Jack Dempsey bare-knuckles boxing, that is more suitable for around the 85-degree grip angle of a 1911. If the index or index and middle fingers are way out in front karate-style, that's more the realm of a Glock's grip angle. (In between, my index and middle are slightly ahead of the other two but not to Karate Student level, and I find a 1911A1 with arched mainspring housing fits me best.) I have NEVER been able to figure out what they were thinking at Beretta with the 92/96 family's grip angle...
Never heard it explained like that! Is there anyway you can send me a visual on the second one as in the karate style not quite getting the visual on that in my head.

Is this what you were talking about! Hopefully you can see it well enough.

IMG_3468.png

I was in law enforcement and the military. I don't need the lecture on how criminals operate. I've seen first hand what humans can do to eachother.

Last Edited:
I was in law enforcement and the military. I don't need the lecture on how criminals operate. I've seen first hand what humans can do to eachother.
Thanks for your service @pizzamike . I don't doubt that you know that stuff. The issue is whether your wife does. Its easy for women to figure that your general presence on the trip and your being armed makes her safe. It doesn't. It only makes her a little bit safer. If she fully understood that she would not carry only when alone. But our entire society conditions women to look to men for protection and to consider women learning shooting as unfeminine. That's why some women love pink guns. They are trying to say, "Even though I own and shoot this gun, I'm still a woman, I'm still feminine, look, my gun is pink."

Thanks for your service @pizzamike . I don't doubt that you know that stuff. The issue is whether your wife does. Its easy for women to figure that your general presence on the trip and your being armed makes her safe. It doesn't. It only makes her a little bit safer. If she fully understood that she would not carry only when alone. But our entire society conditions women to look to men for protection and to consider women learning shooting as unfeminine. That's why some women love pink guns. They are trying to say, "Even though I own and shoot this gun, I'm still a woman, I'm still feminine, look, my gun is pink."
She understands. I've had serious talks with her about what I've witnessed first hand. Same reason I've taught her how to use a TQ that I carry on my person everyday. As well as basic medical.

Again at the end of the day it's her choice whether she wants to carry or not. She has to weigh the risks and make the decision for herself. She also has to live with the possible consequences of her choices.

There is no single answer to this question. Way too many factors for a single solution. Your best bet is to plan a few sessions at a range with a good rental counter. Let her try things out and a) see what fits her hand, and b) what she likes. You'll sort out more than anything any of us can tell you. Plus it will be fun.

There is no single answer to this question. Way too many factors for a single solution. Your best bet is to plan a few sessions at a range with a good rental counter. Let her try things out and a) see what fits her hand, and b) what she likes. You'll sort out more than anything any of us can tell you. Plus it will be fun.
The indoor shooting range that I go to has a fabulous rental counter. I believe it's every third Friday of the month they have a shooting range date day on that day for couples to go shoot and it's like a 20% discount.

You mean your ex girlfriend?
current /kûr′ənt, kŭr′-/

adjective
  1. Belonging to the present time.
    "current events; current leaders."
  2. Being in progress now.
    "current negotiations."
  3. Passing from one to another; circulating.
    "current bills and coins."

present

noun
  1. Present time; the time being; time in progress now, or at the moment contemplated; as, at this present.
  2. Present letters or instrument, as a deed of conveyance, a lease, letter of attorney, or other writing; as in the phrase, " Know all men by these presents," that is, by the writing itself, " per has literas praesentes; " -- in this sense, rarely used in the singular.
  3. A present tense, or the form of the verb denoting the present tense.

moment /mō′mənt/

noun
  1. A brief, indefinite interval of time.
  2. A specific point in time, especially the present time.
    "He is not here at the moment."
  3. A point in time that is gratifying or noteworthy.
    "Even working on a dictionary has its moments."
wife /wīf/

noun
  1. A woman joined to another person in marriage; a female spouse.
  2. A woman; an adult female; -- now used in literature only in certain compounds and phrases, as alewife, fishwife, goodwife, and the like.
    Similar: woman
  3. The lawful consort of a man; a woman who is united to a man in wedlock; a woman who has a husband; a married woman; -- correlative of husband.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top