JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like Full Target 6" for a revolver like that.
Here's what I would be looking for.
Target Trigger
Target Hammer
Target Sights
Target Stocks
17-3 is a good generation
You can still find a pristine 17-3
Hard to find anything older that is "pristine".
S&W 6" BLUE K-22 MASTERPIECE MODEL 17-3 GONCALO ALVES CHECKERED TARGETS .22
I found one (K-22) in January for $785
Completed my trifecta :
K-22
K-38
K-44 (Model 24)

There was also a K-32 in 32 S&W Long. I've shot one, never owned one though.

Back when I bought mine (in about 1979ish?). My revolver was a M18, K frame .22LR, ramped front sight with 4" barrel in blue. It was also called the "Combat Masterpiece". The M18 was used as a sort of trainer to the M15 "Combat Masterpiece" (aka K-38). Which was also a K frame revolver in blue, with a ramped front sight, and a 4" barrel, only in .38 Special caliber. The M15 was my issued duty gun.

Back then, a lot of Police Recruits entering the Academy had no previous experience with shooting REAL firearms. So having a .22LR was a cheap and low-recoil way to introduce us to firearms.

The M17 (IIRC) was meant as a target revolver in 22LR. Yup.....2700 Matches were still popular back then. It was easy to find a new one at the local gun shop. They usually came with a target trigger/hammer, partridge sights, and 6" barrel in blue.

Aloha, Mark

PS......
View attachment 1266389
I tried to sell it back then. That price, is NOT today's price. LOL.
Did the Partridge front sight have it's wings clipped so it wouldn't fly off the gun? Sorry... I couldn't resist......

6yakap.jpg

Last Edited:
The Model 17 designation started slightly later in the run when S&W was sold. The K22 Masterpiece was pre 17 production. I have one and it is an absolute tack driver and probably the finest pistol trigger I have ever used. Mine was manufactured in 47 if I remember correctly and the 17/18 designations started in the early 50's. Not exactly sure as I'm an old fart and memory is an iffy thing these days... ;)

The Model 17 designation started slightly later in the run when S&W was sold. The K22 Masterpiece was pre 17 production. I have one and it is an absolute tack driver and probably the finest pistol trigger I have ever used. Mine was manufactured in 47 if I remember correctly and the 17/18 designations started in the early 50's. Not exactly sure as I'm an old fart and memory is an iffy thing these days... ;)
S&W began their model numbering system in 1957.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews