JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Surprise……

This is like complaining about sportsman's warehouse. What did you expect?

The mind numbing process of doing the paper work and jumping through their additional hoops is enough to keep me away from cabelas for good. Last time I bought a gun from them it took an hour in the store after I got the proceed from my locale jurisdiction. They take your driver's license and have 2 different people go over the paperwork and finally "the captain" has to look it all over and sign off. The first guy asked me dob and where I was born. I said "same time and place I put on 4473 when I passed nics check a month ago when I purchased gun. He then told me he needed to hear me say it. Shaking my head I tell him my birth date and Seattle. He then says "what state"? At this point I am quite annoyed but laughing at the same time. Finally realizing I was not going to win this game I volunteered I was born in Seattle WA. The whole thing is layered in so much nanny bureaucracy that is evidently store/company policy, it takes 4 times as long as it should. Total time spent in store after committing to purchase handgun was almost 3 hrs between first and second visit and they were not particularly busy either time.

Last Edited:
Before jumping on Cabelas consider it from their view. How many gun owners would sue the moment something went wrong? It's all about the lawyers and a litigation happy public. The number of gun owners who would sue is probably close to the number of gun owners who voted for 114. Both numbers are non-zero.
And what exactly could go wrong?

The lock on guns is a law. I can't remember what brilliant left wing law it was, but the gun is supposed to stay locked.

BiMart in Scappoose let me run a pistol without a lock.

The lock on guns is a law. I can't remember what brilliant left wing law it was, but the gun is supposed to stay locked.

BiMart in Scappoose let me run a pistol without a lock.
I thought it was only required by law to provide a lock when the gun was sold?
Is it a law that says a gun must be locked closed when selling it?

Some stores have the policy of keeping them locked in the store. I guess it depends on how you interpret the law that requires all guns not in your immediate control must be locked.

If I had time, I would look it up.

Manager offered me a bore light, but the action was electronically banded shut.
Doc, sorry yours was disappointing.
I stopped in Thursday after a failed puppy adoption attempt at the (in)Humane Society. I didn't see any 120 y.o. Winnies.
I was hoping to find the Savage 24 there that I had considered a week ago. Nope.
What I did see was a Savage 99, ca. 1951, in 300 Savage.
Most of the ones I see are thrashed and rattle-traps. This one looked fantastic. The stock had been refinished, but I didn't care.
Took it back to the office, said I wanted to buy it and asked to inspect the bore.
They removed all the stupid locks and gave me a bore light.
Nice, tight action, clean looking chamber. Bore looked great, deep rifling, though seemed to have some leading. Mine!
All in all, it was a very pleasant experience.
Now waiting to get it out of jail, 'cuz Ima dangerous man, an all....

And what exactly could go wrong?
To all who want to know why...
Man tried to shoot store employees after loading gun he was looking at

This was at a Sportsmans in Kennewick, WA last year. Sportsmans moved to the locks when Cabelas was trying to buy them out and believe they kept the policy because of this. I think many at Sportsmans will take the lock off so if they don't for a particular person it might be because the customer is giving off the vibe that they may be shot :cool: . I don't think the Kennewick example is the only time this has happened. Seems like I remember another case were someone loaded a gun and then robbed a place.

So, it turns out the customer is not always right. :D

SB 554 section 4. 2021.

(Transfers)
SECTION 4. (1) If a person transfers a firearm and a criminal background check under
ORS 166.435 is required prior to the transfer, the person shall transfer the firearm:
(a) With an engaged trigger or cable lock; or
(b) In a locked container.

(2)(a) A violation of subsection (1) of this section is a Class C violation.
(b) Each firearm transferred in violation of subsection (1) of this section constitutes a
separate violation.
(3) If a firearm transferred in a manner that violates subsection (1) of this section is
used to injure a person or property within two years of the violation, in an action against
the transferor to recover damages for the injury, the violation of subsection (1) of this sec-
tion constitutes per se negligence, and the presumption of negligence may not be overcome
by a showing that the transferor acted reasonably.
(4) Subsection (3) of this section does not apply if the injury results from a lawful act
of self-defense or defense of another person.
(5) This section does not apply to:
(a) The transfer of a firearm made inoperable for the specific purpose of being used as
a prop in the making of a motion picture or a television, digital or similar production.
(b) A transfer that occurs when a firearm is taken from the owner or possessor of the
firearm by force.

From articles that I read, this includes FFL's/Stores. Depending on how you interpret it, some stores go the safe route. I could not find an exception for gun stores.

SB 554 section 4. 2021.

(Transfers)
SECTION 4. (1) If a person transfers a firearm and a criminal background check under
ORS 166.435 is required prior to the transfer, the person shall transfer the firearm:
(a) With an engaged trigger or cable lock; or
(b) In a locked container.

(2)(a) A violation of subsection (1) of this section is a Class C violation.
(b) Each firearm transferred in violation of subsection (1) of this section constitutes a
separate violation.
(3) If a firearm transferred in a manner that violates subsection (1) of this section is
used to injure a person or property within two years of the violation, in an action against
the transferor to recover damages for the injury, the violation of subsection (1) of this sec-
tion constitutes per se negligence, and the presumption of negligence may not be overcome
by a showing that the transferor acted reasonably.
(4) Subsection (3) of this section does not apply if the injury results from a lawful act
of self-defense or defense of another person.
(5) This section does not apply to:
(a) The transfer of a firearm made inoperable for the specific purpose of being used as
a prop in the making of a motion picture or a television, digital or similar production.
(b) A transfer that occurs when a firearm is taken from the owner or possessor of the
firearm by force.

From articles that I read, this includes FFL's/Stores. Depending on how you interpret it, some stores go the safe route. I could not find an exception for gun stores.
thats for the actual transfer of the guns ownership. Not the selling. I dont interpret that law in any way as saying all guns have to be locked out for a buyer to check out.

No ones going to buy a gun they cant cycle the action.

To all who want to know why...
Man tried to shoot store employees after loading gun he was looking at

This was at a Sportsmans in Kennewick, WA last year. Sportsmans moved to the locks when Cabelas was trying to buy them out and believe they kept the policy because of this. I think many at Sportsmans will take the lock off so if they don't for a particular person it might be because the customer is giving off the vibe that they may be shot :cool: . I don't think the Kennewick example is the only time this has happened. Seems like I remember another case were someone loaded a gun and then robbed a place.

So, it turns out the customer is not always right. :D
back in the 80s there was a crime spree where the bad guy did just that. The tell tale sign someones gonna do that is when the case the joint and say "I'll be back"...

in all seriousness, I thought of this I just didnt know if its common. Regardless, its unreasonable to sell a gun without the buyer inspecting the action. Cabelas should know this.

thats for the actual transfer of the guns ownership. Not the selling. I dont interpret that law in any way as saying all guns have to be locked out for a buyer to check out.

No ones going to buy a gun they cant cycle the action.
This is from OFF, 2021.

There is nothing in the bill that exempts gun stores from all these locking requirements. It is not known how they will be able to comply with these regulations. So far, no one has thought to inquire about that during the floor debates.

I have seen a few of these questions asked, but no definitive answer.

Just picked up a shotgun at Vancouver sportsman's, no lock on it and counter person let me handle it and look it over just like the eleven guns prior to that. Never had a problem there and am always surprised at how much knowledge they have about all those different firearms.

This is from OFF, 2021.

There is nothing in the bill that exempts gun stores from all these locking requirements. It is not known how they will be able to comply with these regulations. So far, no one has thought to inquire about that during the floor debates.

I have seen a few of these questions asked, but no definitive answer.
from the lawful transfer.

its not a transfer to show someone your gun.
I realize everyone interprets the laws differently and this forum has days of discussion on interpreting these laws but this isnt a problem letting a prospective buyer check out a gun. When the legal transfer happens, then, the store must comply.

If this was an issue all gun stores would have been shut down by now or buyers would have revolted by now. I dont know anyone that would buy a gun without at least cycling the action.

from the lawful transfer.

its not a transfer to show someone your gun.
I realize everyone interprets the laws differently and this forum has days of discussion on interpreting these laws but this isnt a problem letting a prospective buyer check out a gun. When the legal transfer happens, then, the store must comply.

If this was an issue all gun stores would have been shut down by now or buyers would have revolted by now. I dont know anyone that would buy a gun without at least cycling the action.
I agree with you, but there seems to be some confusion even at the store level.

I haven't had a problem and wouldn't buy a gun without checking it out first.

It has nothing to do with transfers/ownership or authorized people.

"No ones going to buy a gun they cant cycle the action."

This is not an absolute.

There are very many (and very valuable) guns where "cycling the action" might not be permitted by the seller. (And very well might not ever be asked for by the buyer).

But I would agree that most old Winchesters do not fall into that significant category.

Bimart did the same thing with their pistols and the trigger locks.
Half of buying a firearm is seeing what the trigger feels like.. their policy is to keep it locked and literally just buy the pistol by looking at it.
I get safety and whatnot, but actual gun shops don't have that policy.. if they are going to have a gun section then let customers check things out. Heck, take the license from the customer, then even have neutered firing pins in the display models if it's such a concern.

I find those lock up policies bogus if they deny a customer the ability to properly check a firearm out.
At the one I go to, guns are unlocked but you have to give them your ID before they will hand it to you.

It's been so long since I've been in Cabelas I didn't know the gun room was open again. I used to go in to check out the used guns, but when they closed it I stopped going in the store. :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top