JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was considering buying this FAT 42 Carcano. Seller is not a "gun person" and says it was a wall-hanger that belonged to his father. According to him it was never shot since acquired in the early 1970's.

If you had to take a guess, is this rust or dust? He doesn't have a bore light and can't get me a better picture.

pix323423803.jpg

Was considering buying this FAT 42 Carcano. Seller is not a "gun person" and says it was a wall-hanger that belonged to his father. According to him it was never shot since acquired in the early 1970's.

If you had to take a guess, is this rust or dust? He doesn't have a bore light and can't get me a better picture.

View attachment 1089540
Shine a light from the action up. In a pinch, use a piece of white paper in the action.

Last Edited:
Looks like rust on the cleaning rod. Could be fragrant cosmoline in the barrel with closet dust. Who knows…I'm just a dude from the interwebs

Is the gun nearby?

Ask the seller if he minds you bringing over some cleaning stuff to run a brush down the barrel, and a good 'look over'

I did this When I bought my 1899 Winchester. The bore was packed with dust to the point I could not see through it !

Well I'm going to roll the die and put in a bid. The price is certainly right and Carcanos mfg. during World War II are hard to find for some reason.

If I win I'm going to post some before and after pictures of the bore here, maybe it could be of help to someone else.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top