JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over the years, I've let a few scopes go in rifle sales. Which I should've kept to re-use. The list isn't long, and lately I decided to replace them. The first one I bought a couple of weeks ago was a Redfield Widefield, with the TV screen ocular bell.

At one time, I had a Bushnell Banner with the "Command Post" vertical reticle add-on. The Banner wasn't an expensive scope, it was a Japanese unit of moderate price. Last week, I bought an older Bushnell Scope Chief 3-9x which has the Command Post option. This was a pretty nice scope, not perfect, with a few small scratches and signs of handling. But very nice, clear optics.

P4220580.JPG

The scope came in its own original shipping carton dated 1964.

There was no Bushnell factory. Dave Bushnell contracted with various companies to make scopes for him to order. I think I've read that this scope was made by Bausch & Lomb; it's a heavy thing, and reminds me of those B&L externally adjusted scopes in terms of build and heft. I like the smaller ocular bell. I think I will mount this on my Ruger No. 1 in .223, which is also a heavy piece of equipment. For a .223, it's what I'd call a "sandbag rifle," good off the bench but not something you'd want to lug around very far. The gloss finish will match the rifle. Bushnell sold his company to B&L in 1971. The brand name endures, but the firm has changed hands several times since Bushnell owned it.

I have one more scope to replace, a Leupold M8.

Over the years, I've let a few scopes go in rifle sales. Which I should've kept to re-use. The list isn't long, and lately I decided to replace them. The first one I bought a couple of weeks ago was a Redfield Widefield, with the TV screen ocular bell.

At one time, I had a Bushnell Banner with the "Command Post" vertical reticle add-on. The Banner wasn't an expensive scope, it was a Japanese unit of moderate price. Last week, I bought an older Bushnell Scope Chief 3-9x which has the Command Post option. This was a pretty nice scope, not perfect, with a few small scratches and signs of handling. But very nice, clear optics.

View attachment 1868202

The scope came in its own original shipping carton dated 1964.

There was no Bushnell factory. Dave Bushnell contracted with various companies to make scopes for him to order. I think I've read that this scope was made by Bausch & Lomb; it's a heavy thing, and reminds me of those B&L externally adjusted scopes in terms of build and heft. I like the smaller ocular bell. I think I will mount this on my Ruger No. 1 in .223, which is also a heavy piece of equipment. For a .223, it's what I'd call a "sandbag rifle," good off the bench but not something you'd want to lug around very far. The gloss finish will match the rifle. Bushnell sold his company to B&L in 1971. The brand name endures, but the firm has changed hands several times since Bushnell owned it.

I have one more scope to replace, a Leupold M8.
I have a fixed 6x M8. Gloss. Leupold dot reticle I'd part with…

Whenever I buy a used gun, there's always a tasco on it
I've owned a couple of Tasco scopes, one I bought new in 1972, Japanese made. I probably didn't know any better, but they worked well enough for me. The new Tasco I bought went onto a former US Model 1917 Rifle, highly sporterized by King Gun Works, I didn't commission the job; it was hanging on the wall for sale. It was very professionally done, a real job of work on one of those, removing the rear sight ears on the receiver and all. It was still in .30-06.

I generally don't sell scopes, especially quality scopes. They're too much money new and lose too much value when sold with a rifle. That said I may or may not have a stack of scopes in my safe that currently don't have a home!

Yeah, I never sell optics unless they are on a mount integral to the firearm, and even then I may downgrade the scope for the sale. They indeed add almost no value to the sale, and I think most people in the know are going to change them out anyway (hell, most of the cheap scopes I have sold on a gun came from another gun I bought it with, so I hardly think I am alone in this practice). If I am selling to someone I know I always ask if they want a scope with it and they nearly always say no.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top