JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have almost 1,000 round through my 709 now and as my EDC it's fantastic. I've had no troubles at all with the exception of when I tried a box of Winchester 147 grain and had FTE on about every 3rd round.

+P and everything else I've shot through it work very well. Even dropped it into the mud once when out shooting and picked it up and gave it a few swipes against my pants and put another dozen rounds down range with no issues, although cleaning it later was a chore.

The gun's as accurate as I am (I usually run drills at 15 yards to 20 yards but at 50 yards I can hit a paper dinner plate 4 out of 7) and the adjustable sights are nice. I like the thumb safety and as was mentioned, if a round doesn't bang the first time you can pull the trigger for a 2nd go around.

All in all it's been a great pistol and considering the price point and the features I'd give it 2 thumbs up. Just stay away from the 147 grain.

-d

Thanks to everyone for the responses! The 709 Slim is at the top of my list of must-buy guns. And I too once had a PT-92 and will always regret having to sell it---perfection except for tiny sights.....................elsullo :s0155:

I have a 709 now, and carry it daily in my jean pocket. Its shooting capabilities are great. Perfect reliability. The only issue I have with it is its weight.19 ounces

My prior gun, the PF9 however, was significantly lighter, however, that gun blew up in my hand, perhaps b/c of tula ammo that looked a little rusty (live and learn) I loved the PF9 weight, but it was just so darn unpleasant to shoot. The trigger is so long and hard at like 12 lbs. It had some jams too, but who knows maybe I just didn't clean up the extractor correctly, I wont trash the company, I hate when people do that on message posts, especially to guns they've never fired. Made is America doesn't guarantee my running shoes are better than Made in Taiwan....you see the analogy

Anyway, I've also shot the Kahr, and I notice that it is 16 ounces or so..so a little bit lighter than the 709, it also has a longer barrel I think, but should still be concealeable. Anyway, I shot the thing at the range...it was OK, not as easy to shoot as the 709 IMO, the trigger just wasn't as comfy. But...lighter is better, all 3 of these guns are small enough to conceal...but the weight is a little bit of an issue. I can't really carry my 709 in shorts.....now if I had a 738, well I could carry it in a speedo.

But for anyone thinking of a cc9mm, Id say no clear clear winner, the Kahr is Probably the best though considering all the factors(I don't own one), and then maybe a tie between 709 and pf9(pf9 only b/c it is significantly lighter). Just my thoughts.......however I am vy satisfied w/ my 709, I do like shooting it at the range in addition to carrying it. It has shot about 600 rounds with not one jam, so I am very sceptical about people saying the brand is inherently flawed. However, I do clean mine all the time, I suspect that people whom have failures with taurus don't clean them out from the get go. I noticed mine had a lot fo packing goo on the inside when I got it, I'm sure that would mess things up if not removed, its like rubber cement or something it cannot be good.

So these are just my thoughts. I'm quite happy w/ my 709, it comes w 2 mags which is always nice. Though I think the kel tec and kahr are probably better solely for carry purposes b/c of the weight...but not as fun to shoot.

I like Taurus guns, I own several and I love the way they shoot and have never had any problems ... well one .. I bought my wife a Taurus 22 (she needs a gun with no recoil) but there was a problem with the fireing pin .. I called Taurus, the next day Fedex was there with a box and lable ... put the gun in the box ... 4 weeks later it came back and works perfect ... no cost to me ... even if you bought a used Taurus they are all guarenteed for life .. the life of the gun ..not the original owner ... they are great guns!

I researched the Kahr MK9 last year. I want it but it is too expensive, and a used one has no warranty. The Kahr warranty is only for two years and only for the original purchaser...........................elsullo :(

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top