JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Delayed Gratification often comes up around here in regards to putting off purchases for a period of time. A basic definition of Gratification is:

"Gratification is the pleasurable emotional reaction of happiness in response to a fulfillment of a desire or goal. It is also identified as a response stemming from the fulfillment of social needs such as affiliation, socializing, social approval, and mutual recognition"

An example of instant gratification might look like this: I want to eat one cookie a day for a week so I going out and buy 7 cookies. Everyday I eat one cookie until they are gone.

An example of delayed gratification might look like this with cookies: On day one I decide to delay eating my cookie until the next day. Each day I continue this delayed gratification with the following days cookie. On day seven I have two cookies to enjoy.

Denied gratification might look like this with cookies. I go out and buy seven cookies but than decide to practice denied gratification. Instead of eating a cookie a day, I stare at the cookie, smell the cookie but then toss it in the trash. At the end of seven days, I have seven cookies in my trash can.

When we think about all the things that make us feel gratified, it would be sad not to enjoy the gratification as it happens. Is it beneficial to put off happiness, maybe but I don't see the benefit.

As for delaying purchases that should be considered as something else besides delaying gratification. It gives gratification a bad rap.

images-11.jpeg

Let' say your disabled neighbor ask you to help them with a task. That would give you a feeling of gratification to help them. On the other hand all the smarties have told you that delayed gratification is so much better so you tell your neighbor you will help her with that task next year. Makes senseo_O

You have finally saved up enough money for your dream bike so you don't have to walk 10 miles, one way, to work anymore. But then you decide that it will be much more gratifying if you stick that money under the mattress and walk to work for another year before you buy the bike. Makes sense.

Your washing machine dies it's final death. You want to get a zero interest loan to buy a new one, so you don't have to wash clothes in the sink any longer. Your wife tells you, keep washing in the sink for a couple of more years, so we can pay cash for the washer. It will be a much more gratifying purchase.
Makes sense.

Your wife wants to go out for an anniversary dinner on your anniversary. You know that the all you can eat special is starting up next month and tell her we can wait.
Makes sense. This is one example where delayed gratification would actually be good.

If you string together enough words....or search long enough to find examples....
Eventually you will be able to justify any old damn thing.

Live your life as wish.
Understand however...that all choices have consequences...
And consequences are of our own making...Since we made a choice.

If you don't like your consequences....then make a better or different choice.
Andy

I have been practicing delayed gratification with my wife and life by working two jobs. For some reason she hasn't viewed it as a positive.

Edit: I have been trying to explain to her that the visits to see her family will be more gratifying the longer we delay them.

The Marshmallow Study went like this. Hey kid, here is a Marshmallow if you wait 15mins to eat it, you can have two. I understand this to mean that if I wait 15mins to buy a gun and I can order two. I'm pretty sure I can do that.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews