JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw an interesting post on Reddit.
"Isn't a Go-Tote much more practical than a Go-Bag?

You can store so much more in a tote (I'm thinking like a 20-30 gallon plastic storage container) that can fit in your car's trunk than you could in any bag. You could have a full weeks worth of food, fuel/cooking supplies, plenty of batteries, tools, multiple sets of clothing, important documents in folders, and so much more. It could even contain a backpack if moving on foot became necessary.

A bag would be important if you were leaving on foot, but who plans to do that? A tote for a car trunk seems like the best option if you have a car."

My opinion...

Not all motor vehicles can accomodate the standard 25-28 gallon totes in their trunks, or backseats. In those cases, a duffel bag, kit bag, or similar, multiple bags too, makes more sense as soft bags can be forced into odd shaped spaces.

If there's no fuel availability and no open roads (jam packed with abandoned vehicles); then the tote(s) are useless compared to a rucksack/backpack.

On the other hand; a handcart, or bicycle trailer usually can accommodate totes, particularly the totes with tiedown strap slots, and is something I've seen with several homeless persons.

The cons of a tote; they're bulky, and adds weight, and they may not be durable enough to stay waterproof long term (cracks and warping), and they aren't easy to literally tote around if you ain't got wheels. They take up a lot of space in a trunk and have relatively limited space to pack for the size they are.

The cons of a backpack/rucksack/bag.

They don't stay waterproof long term.

Some have polyurethane coatings that wears out/off-gas.

They may not be comfortable when heavily loaded.

They rip/blow seams

You may be much more limited with what you can realistically pack into them, unless you have pack animals and/or carts/wheeled something.

They are targets for thieves, and may make you a target for robbers/looters.

I go with a heavy duty well made bag, wrap things separately in plastic if you need to keep it waterproof... Tried totes and had empty bag separate just in case I needed to stuff and go. Plastic in totes is crappy and they began to crack and break.

Perhaps the answer is to have a pack inside of your tote, which you mention. Absolute essentials in the pack. Nice-to-haves in the tote next to it. That way if you do have to hoof it, you can grab the pack and go.

download.jpeg

I've been using these Rubbermaid Action Packers for years, and they've held up great. I like that you can also sit on them, and use the top like a little table.

After going through a major fire down at my winter place on the Yucatan, I learned how important it is to have your important papers and valuables ready to go in an emergency.

It was very interesting to find out what people grabbed before running out of their homes, and mostly they were things they were thinking about during the day, or things they were planning on using the next day, like mayonnaise and scuba gear. Not one person thought to grab their passport, credit cards, and cash.

Rubbermaid 24 gallon.jpeg

For me personally.. i have so many bags that can be packed up into go-bags, but I keep 1 small duffel in the van's middle cubby holes where seats can stow, but otherwise, I also have totes to use. For the most part, a backpack for me, and my wife carries her purse and the kids' stuff in a large-ish diaper bag for day trips/get home bags. Of course I could consolidate them into one of the larger rucksacks but my wife likes the convenience of smaller separate bags :rolleyes: we do also have vehicle emergency kit in the floor and emergency blankets in there

I think the most likely need in this region to "GO NOW!" would be a forest fire evacuation.

Prepare for what's common, but give some thought to rare events, too.

Bruce

So a "go-camper trailer" ? You're planning on roads being accessible and fuel available after you use up your stock?
You were talking about vehicles. If I had to GTFO in a hurry, the travel trailer is my best bet. It is already mostly stocked, would just have to throw some food in it, maybe some clothes depending on the season and hit the bricks. It takes me 3 minutes to hook up and get rolling. I can go anywhere and then some any passenger car can.

We had bug out totes packed and ready, but after covid we changed to just stashing items all over the house. That event converted me to bug in. I do understand though that wildfires could cause me to have to flee the house but for now I don't have a bug out bag or totes set up. I know I'm probably in the wrong though lol.

1713894474045.jpeg

I use the same rugged box. With a backpack of stuff inside the tote if things are bad enough to hoof it, and useful stuff ya might need at any time. Like Fix A Flat, bolt cutters, jumper cables, power bank, blanket or woobie, shovel, a saw, jug of water, snacks, med kit, coats, gloves, rain pants, trail shoes, cotton candy maker, etc.

I've used most of that stuff at one time or another and was glad to have it.

Saw an interesting post on Reddit.
"Isn't a Go-Tote much more practical than a Go-Bag?

You can store so much more in a tote (I'm thinking like a 20-30 gallon plastic storage container) that can fit in your car's trunk than you could in any bag. You could have a full weeks worth of food, fuel/cooking supplies, plenty of batteries, tools, multiple sets of clothing, important documents in folders, and so much more. It could even contain a backpack if moving on foot became necessary.

A bag would be important if you were leaving on foot, but who plans to do that? A tote for a car trunk seems like the best option if you have a car."

My opinion...

Not all motor vehicles can accomodate the standard 25-28 gallon totes in their trunks, or backseats. In those cases, a duffel bag, kit bag, or similar, multiple bags too, makes more sense as soft bags can be forced into odd shaped spaces.

If there's no fuel availability and no open roads (jam packed with abandoned vehicles); then the tote(s) are useless compared to a rucksack/backpack.

On the other hand; a handcart, or bicycle trailer usually can accommodate totes, particularly the totes with tiedown strap slots, and is something I've seen with several homeless persons.

The cons of a tote; they're bulky, and adds weight, and they may not be durable enough to stay waterproof long term (cracks and warping), and they aren't easy to literally tote around if you ain't got wheels. They take up a lot of space in a trunk and have relatively limited space to pack for the size they are.

The cons of a backpack/rucksack/bag.

They don't stay waterproof long term.

Some have polyurethane coatings that wears out/off-gas.

They may not be comfortable when heavily loaded.

They rip/blow seams

You may be much more limited with what you can realistically pack into them, unless you have pack animals and/or carts/wheeled something.

They are targets for thieves, and may make you a target for robbers/looters.
Go totes don't have style like bags.

1713895136918.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews