JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Resurrecting this old thread...
I've foolishly let my Ham ticket expire (General class).
While I'll most likely re-test, I'm thinking about also setting up a GMRS mobile unit.
Uses would be off-roading comm's, and anything urgent/emergent. Camping with friends, staying in touch while traveling in "caravans", etc.
Any advice from the herd on current radio offerings (Midland 275?), mag-mount antennae's, etc?
And yes, I'll get the required license.
Thanks!

Thanks for the notes, AMProducts. We're no where near a large population center.
I'm also in southern Oregon and have an expried General Ham ticket (( going to re-up it )) and have a 40ch SSB - CB and channel 38 lower sideband CB is still active because of all the former and current truckers who keep it alive and the AM side of channel 19 ,20 , 21 ,CB alive.

You can buy a 40 channel sideband CB at the local Pilot truck stop at exit 32 at the 5 freeway

I found a series of emails I sent to a friend approximately two years ago. I will post them here so anyone may make use of the information. Note I have both a GMRS license and an Amateur (Technician) license.

GMRS Licensing

The FCC offers a license with no testing, and it covers the family. It's about $70 for five years.

What I recommend is first creating an account with the FCC for a FRN number, and then applying for the license using that FRN number. It makes it easier later in case you end up with both a GMRS license and a ham license.
Applying for a New License in the Universal Licensing System (ULS)

The GMRS license should be approved in about two working days.

GMRS Repeaters

You can do GMRS in one of two ways:
  • Simplex. Direct radio-to-radio. Generally relies on line of sight, will be disrupted by terrain, trees, interference, more. Assume it is good for 1/2 mile.
  • Duplex. You use a repeater to relay the signal further between the two radios. The repeater generally has more transmitting power, may be elevated, and may have emergency power.
Some GMRS repeaters are here:
myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory

For example, I can 'hit' this Seattle repeater from my home North of Seattle. So in theory we could communicate between our homes using the repeater. Yup, we could test it if you get up on GMRS too.
myGMRS.com - SEATTLE #1 REPEATER: West Seattle, WA

Programming memory channels

CHIRP.
Home - CHIRPHome - CHIRP

You'll want it. Open source. Just need a relevant cable from your computer to your radios.

One you program the memory channels you'll probably never touch them again, or for several years.

I can give you my CHIRP .csv file that has FRS, GMRS simplex, GMRS duplex with a repeater or two, MURS, and NOAA weather. Simple stuff.

Radios and Antennas

OK, my recommendations.

Baofeng Radio. Comes with a charger and a stubby antenna. I like this radio since it has a rechargeable battery and 8 watts of transmitting power. A little more power helps get your transmitting signal out there. You might consider 2-3. Your call. Or one to start? I have a reminder to periodically pull them and recharge/test them.
Amazon.com: BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery

Cable for CHIRP (computer to radio).
https://amzn.to/2N2uNej

NA-771 antenna. Larger. May help with using the radio in terrain or more distance. Can be acquired later. I don't have one of these for every radio, but I have one in the go bag in my vehicle.
https://amzn.to/2nZIRg4

Optional. Vehicle antenna with magnet. Stick on center of roof, put cable through window, connect to radio. I have one in my go bag. Works well. You'll need the additional adapter between antenna connector and Baofeng radio.
Amazon.com: Tram 1185-SMA Amateur Dual-Band Magnet Antenna with SMA-Male Connector, 20.15in. x 5.25in. x 1.80in.: Home Audio & Theater

https://amzn.to/2OS41aW

I chose those radios since I can program them for FRS, GMRS, MURS, NOAA weather (receive only), and of course ham frequencies. It's simple.

Last Edited:
If you have a radio with a removable antenna then you have options to improve range by using a different antenna.

I mentioned that larger whip antenna in a link above for the Baofeng radios.

Here is another option for an antenna that is optimized for GMRS frequencies and could be suspended from a tree or similar. Ensure you pick the right connector for your radio. I have the same antenna that is optimized for the Amateur 2m and 70cm bands.

Antenna, altitude (while keeping line of sight), and power are ways to get your signal out there. Assuming a handheld transceiver (HT) then you cannot increase the transmitting power, and so you probably want to improve the antenna.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top