JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few years ago, I bought a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7mm Mauser. These came from the factory with or without iron sights. The iron sight models are less common. I bought this one specifically because it had this feature. It took me quite a while to get the sights regulated to the loads I prepared for it. When I finally got on top of that, I discovered that my eyesight was bad enough that I wasn't going to be able to shoot the gun well. That's when I caved and figured on getting a scope mounted on the rifle.

Years ago, I had a Redfield Widefield scope, the "TV screen" on the ocular end. I liked that scope a lot and stupidly let it go when I sold the rifle it was mounted on. Lesson, never sell a rifle with a quality scope on it, because you won't get the value of the scope back in the sale. That was about 35 years ago, and for one reason or another, never got another Widefield.

So now that I've been shopping for a scope for the Model 70, I've had the choice of a new scope, starting at $400 for a low-end but quality brand. Or a used scope, carefully chosen, in a wide price range. Lately, I found this Redfield Widefield fixed 4x with duplex reticle for $90:

P4160574.JPG P4160575.JPG

The 4x is enough scope for my limited purposes; I'm not a long range shooter. More important to me is how the scope rests on the rifle. The Widefield can be mounted low, as the ocular bell is flattened in shape and the objective bell isn't that big around, either. The Model 70 this is going on doesn't have a Monte Carlo stock, it has a rather straight back comb on the stock with very little drop.

Another reason I leaned toward a used scope is the finish. The trend these days is for matte finish. On a gloss finish rifle, I want a gloss finish scope, which isn't easy to find as a new item now. Of course I also want gloss rings and mounts, some of which have been discontinued. But they can be found in places like ebay, still new in package.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top