JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking at the FA Hand Depriming tool out there for sale. I like to sit in the recliner and prime cases I am running through my single stage press (rifle precision loads) and I like to decap my pistol rounds before wet tumbling. Standing at the bench cranking through rounds just to decap gets fairly tedious when you are running 500+ cases. It occured to me I might be able to do the decap process in a similar fashion sitting in the same recliner....Does anyone have one of these FA tools they could give opinions on? Reviews online seem to be mixed.

I'm with Dizzyj in this. Sizing and Decapping really do belong together. At least that's the way I've always done it. When I first saw the FA Depriming tool it kinda looked interesting because I too sit in front of the Tube doing my Case Priming. Then I thought about it a while and realized I'd still have to size the cases anyway, so why make it an extra step?

That's my take anyway.

I can't answer about the Frankford Arsenal product....

I like to deprime while watching a movie, etc. myself. I'm not yet running a press, just loading by hand with a Lee Breech Lock Hand press until I'm ready to set up the regular press. So, for my depriming, I'm using the Lee Hand Press with a decapping die. Works very well and goes fast. It's got good leverage too, so I don't find my hands getting fatigued even doing a couple hundred rounds.

LEE%20Hand%20Press3.png

The Frankford is "ok" if your setting and watching the tube.

Do that every once in a while. Hand does get fatigue though.

That Lee @Etrain uses above would be the way to go if your doing it a lot. Haven't used it, but just by looking at it, it looks to give a nice mechanical advantage.

...but then I need to remember that they still need sized. Not too difficult in a separate baggie, but still another step.

My "normal" process is decap & size, then tumble.

Pretty much only use the Frankford hand decapper when it's a show/movie I don't really want to watch anyways...;)

I'd agree with Camel filter about the Lee tool. I've used one and they do have enough leverage to work well. Of course, the Lee is something of an Improved version of the Older Lyman Tong Tools from the 1800s. So the idea isn't really new and better.

To each their own, but for me hand decapping and priming in front of the TV would take away TWO opportunities to inspect brass. I sometimes prime in front of TV but find myself not being able to pay full attention to the TV. So it sorta defeats the purpose.

I don't have either but from the pictures, and a mechanical background, it would appear the Harvey unit is hands down simplicity in motion. (though I cant speak for leverage or shell centering universality)
I too prefer to clean my brass before resizing. Mainly because I like things clean, my dies, lube pad, desk etc, and lessor to minimize abrasion to my dies.
That said, I would not bother with either.
I too like priming while my wife watches TV so to stay connected with her as I usually spend most of that time in the shop.
My reason is back to the clean thing. Decapping is messy, powder, separated anvils, primer seals and who knows what, not caught by the lap apron will eventually soil the chair or floor, so for me, best left to the shop.
Anyone who has decapped much knows full well that an errant cap or anvil sometime will be found many feet from where it was supposed to be as if it sprouted wings. Stepping on that bare footed some dark evening may cause a remark best kept from the kids.
Although, If I still hand loaded, (sans press) I would then entertain them but only as a shop relegated feature.
I'm really liking the Harvey one!

Since I wet tumble I deprime before sizing, this allows the pins to clean the primer pockets out. I use either the Lee hand press and a universal deprimer or I use the Harvey deprimer, both keep a lot of gunk off my main presses.

My vote goes for the Lee hand press, they work well, are portable, aren't expensive, and can even be used to load ammo.

Anyone who has decapped much knows full well that an errant cap or anvil sometime will be found many feet from where it was supposed to be as if it sprouted wings.

Man.., no truer words were ever spoke.... I find primer remnants 20 feet from my press after a mass decapping session. I think pixies like them and carry them away from the bench before dropping them.

My rationale for considering the FA device is similar to someone elses comments about trying to keep the mess away from my progressive press and dies. I have done the whole decap on the press thing and sizing at the same time, but it goes faster to use a Lee universal decapper die in a single stage, pop the spent primers, dump the cases in the wet tumbler and end up with clean brass inside and out including the primer pockets. I usually do my inspections after the wet tumble because its a lot easier to see defects then with my old eyes.

The FA tool with tube to capture the spent primers looked like it might frustrate the pixies and keep my wife from wanting to smack me when she steps on a spent primer 15 feet from my easy chair in her bare feet. The Lee tool looks like it would have better mechanical advantage, but I worry the pixies will get me boxed about the ears when they make off with some spent primers. I hadn't seen the Harvey one before, I will check that out.

I have one and use it all the time but I use it in my garage as the primers sometimes will not make it into the catch tube thing, but it works great for me on both handgun and rifle brass and I wet tumble afterwards the big thing I noticed by depriming off press is my press is clean no mess my press stays spotless for the most part

I like the tools for pistol and 5.56 cases. My reasons:
1. Keeps the press area and dies clean of primer crap.
2. I can deprime while watching tv vs being isolated in the garage/reloading area.
3. I get grip training while depriming. Nice 2 fer.

I use the FA Hand Depriming tool on everything I reload except MilSurp Cases The Crimp on the primers is tough on the hands. I too wet tumble after Depriming. It gives me an extra hands on chance to inspect the Brass before I put them in the press. I always reload in batches of at least 100 usually 200 or more at a time. The Mil surp cases get deprimed on the press for the first reload (Crimp is removed before tumbling). the FA Tool was only $19 at Cabela's which is not a bad price.

This year I "promoted" myself to using a Lee progressive set up. Previously was using the Lee Hand Press. It is a good, albeit slow, reloader. I continue to use a faithful vibratory brass cleaner with the used primers being left in. On the progressive set up decapping and resizing are a one press operation. Ya'll know that. I will singly inspect each brass out of the tumbler before it goes into my "ready to reload" bin. A further quick perusal is done before they get into the pressing process. Right now all I reload is 45acp and this makes for a straight forward process. Happy reloading out there to everyone!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top