JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I may be getting a FN FAL 308 with a couple mags and about 100 rounds of ammo. All I know is it looks great from the picture, and it was made in Canada. Problem is...he wants to trade me, and I don't want the darn thing. Trying to get an idea of what I may be able to sell it for...or even trade up. He says he hasn't seen one for under $900...(But then again...he's the one wanting to trade, so naturally he will talk big.)

I need someone with knowledge on these to help me out!

There great guns semi auto 308, the only prob is that only specific fal are worth money belgin, izzy, imbels,austrian's, that one is prob a ds arms they sell new from $950-1300 nib depending on the model, check around on fal files that should help

Yup, if its a true FN FAL (ie originally of Belgium manufacture), then its worth it many times over, but you'll need to get ALL of the information from this particular rifle to get an accurate answer.

Keith

Problem is...he wants to trade me, and I don't want the darn thing.

That's the nub of it. If you don't want it, it doesn't have much trade value to you.

FAL prices are all over the map depending on condition, configuration, and manufacturer. There are relatively inexpensive FALs on the market made by Century Arms that are below $900. And there are expensive FN manufactured FALs that can be $4,000 (since they can't be imported anymore). A new FAL from DSA (and DSA are considered the best modern American manufactured ones on the market) can easily be in the $2K range depending on configuration.

The FAL in your picture has a configuration from the Clinton era AWB. No flash hider and thumb hole stock are minuses.

Find out who manufactured it and start doing some leg work.

From what little I know about the FAL other than I love mine...If it is an actual 'FN' it is worth alot more.....if it is a random kit build or century build then the price is probably a bit high....

IF it is Canadian it could be a L1A1 which I think are inch pattern

Looking at the pic, it does not look like the barrel is treaded, and the thumbhole stock would indicate it was possibly imported and a "sporting model" and may not have .922 parts

Let me put it this way......

Even if this is worth...say...$1300.....if I KNEW I could sell it for $800 or trade like value...then I would be doing good. I just don't want it, but don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't interest me. I was straight up with the guy and told him just that. If I made this trade it would strictly be intended to turn it around for a trade I do want or some profit.

I just know nothing on these.

600.00 tops on that one. i have ben dealing with black guns for 20 years and have seen many fals. it isn't belgian the canadian guns are a little shaky on dependability. the other thing is more than likely it's a inch pattern gun.
most major parts are not compatible with metric parts. inch mags are harder to find and usually run around 25.00 each the gun is more than likely marked something like ca1 or c1a with the right amount of American parts it could be changed over to a pistol grip. but that will run a couple hundred for all the parts. hope that helps. if it were me i would not come close to a trade at 900.00

If it says century international arms on it anywhere, you'll be hardpressed to get your $800 out of it. Otherwise, you should be able to get at least that out of it...

From my understanding, aren't inch pattern examples worth more to the collector than the metric patterns? Still, this one, as mentioned above, is most likely an AWB-era firearm with little collectable value and you'd be hard pressed to get $800 out of it. Maybe a year ago, or maybe next year, but not now. Since you have no interest in it other than resale, I'd say pass. Its not worth your time unless you are trading for it a rifle that's only worth a few hundred bucks.

Keith

Inch pattern gun "imported" from Canada, reworked-Sporterized by Century Arms. NOT the original receiver (was select fire). Collectability? Only the unmolested Belgium/Israeli/Argentines imported before the 1st assault weapon ban are big buck collectable. This is a parts gun made off a kit onto a new receiver (the upper is the FFL item on a FAL) in the early 90's to get arround the "cosmetic" assault weapons ban. Check out falfiles.com for more information than you want to know. That being said, if you buy it for resale-I wouldn't go over $700, even then, if someone wants an FAL, the DSA ones are only $100 more and top of the line. If I wanted another one- I'd change it to a pistol grip and have to play the US made parts game to keep it legal-and put more cash into it. It might take a LONG time to get $800 out of it.
If your pal hasn't seen one under $900, he hasn't been looking very hard.

It's a Brit kit built on either an Argentine or Brazilian reciever.
From the faint markings it looks to be an Imbel (Brazilian)
Made in Canada is a Century thing, not where the gun is from.
The two most common Century FAL's of that era were the STG58 and Brit kits.
It's about a $600 rig on a good day.
$750 will get a far better rig than that, I believe $950 was the going price on an Aussie FAL with real nice wood and an Aussie cut Enteprise receiver.
It's a buyers market right now for them.
100 rounds of ammo, probably worth $50

Inch pattern gun "imported" from Canada, reworked-Sporterized by Century Arms. NOT the original receiver (was select fire).

Unless it was an L2A2 (heavy barrel) it was never a select fire gun.
The Inch pattern guns still have a safety sear in them. It is designed to not let the hammer fall until it is in battery.
The selector on inch guns is made so that it only has safe and fire.
Technically it was classed as a semi auto as it was never intended to be used as a fully automatic rifle.
FN and others put a detent on them so that they didn't swing all the way to auto.
Some didn't want troopies with a full auto 7.62x51
The selector was retained by a rivet or cotter pin to keep troopies from just swapping them out.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top