JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've noticed that some shooters are better trained/well-read on first aid than others.

Some folks EDC a tourniquet, whereas my expertise is at band-aid level.

What are some good study materials for a quick introduction to the subject?

Thanks!

My apologies in advance for not actually answering your question. Many locations offer free or low cost "Stop the Bleed" classes that are relatively short and cover TQ application, wound packing and other traumatic injury treatments in only a few hours. Betting these would be available in your area.

I think actual training is invaluable, as suggested above, but also that every household should have at least a military first-aid field manual for reference use.

RE : Post #6
Dried Leaves

Here is a FREE lesson and short read for you........

LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Download the App "Deployed Medicine"

All the up to date Army medical basics are set out clearly in both text and video. Probably the best thing the Army has done in 20 years. Start watching, studying, and then practice!

I've noticed that some shooters are better trained/well-read on first aid than others.

Thanks!
First Aid book.JPG
While it's a backcountry first aid book, the sections on puncture/penetrating wounds would be just as applicable to bullet holes...
It's published by the Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI) of NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School), the folks that certify WFAs and WFRs.
BITD when I did a hella lot more climbing and mountaineering than I do now, I re-certified my WFA certs every 2 years with WMI.
Those certs managed to make several backcountry escapades and injuries much less of a struggle, and I saved at least one life.

Last Edited:
Here's a pic of the title page so you can read it better. It's just a little handbook thing, about 4" x 5" and 120 pages.
The book isn't designed to teach you first aid, but rather to be used as a guide for someone that has already learned the techniques described in the book.

First Aid book_title page.JPG

Last Edited:
Another medical and survival hack.......

or if you wanna buy a "real plug" for a bullet hole.

Aloha, Mark

Thanks!
Some folks claim to be better trained than others. They might be, they might not. Do you really know their training/qualifications? I might be well-read, but can I apply it in real life? Under the pressure of a person bleeding profusely? How do I assess them? What is their greatest risk of dying?

I carry a tourniquet everyday, it's called a belt. Do you know where and when to place it? How to mark it? Did you call EMS/911 if available?

In my humble opinion there is no "quick" introduction to the subject. The wilderness medicine classes listed might be a good start. The maxi's and tampons are also quite viable. A clotting agent might also help. Direct pressure first.

But then comes the decision time... Do you apply the tourniquet or do you not? If you do and it is not needed the wounded may lose an appendage.

Start with your basics.... Basic first aid from the Red Cross and knock your socks off from there. Lane offers EMS courses.

Start the breathing, stop the bleeding, protect the wound and treat for shock.

Some folks claim to be better trained than others. They might be, they might not. Do you really know their training/qualifications? I might be well-read, but can I apply it in real life? Under the pressure of a person bleeding profusely? How do I assess them? What is their greatest risk of dying?

I carry a tourniquet everyday, it's called a belt. Do you know where and when to place it? How to mark it? Did you call EMS/911 if available?

In my humble opinion there is no "quick" introduction to the subject. The wilderness medicine classes listed might be a good start. The maxi's and tampons are also quite viable. A clotting agent might also help. Direct pressure first.

But then comes the decision time... Do you apply the tourniquet or do you not? If you do and it is not needed the wounded may lose an appendage.

Start with your basics.... Basic first aid from the Red Cross and knock your socks off from there. Lane offers EMS courses.

Start the breathing, stop the bleeding, protect the wound and treat for shock.
Thanks for the realism, I'll look into a proper training course.

I can remember back in the 60s when my mom and dad went to FREE civil defense classes. Yeah....those Russians were a threat.

Anyway....I suspect that many/most people today......are probably looking for something on the internet (maybe)?

Here you go.

Aloha, Mark

PS........put the word out that you're looking to join a "Militia Group." LOL....that will quickly get you the attention of the FBI and Homeland Security. OK, Ok, ok.......maybe a "Survival/Prepper's Group"?

Tourniquet the limbs, Pack the junctions and seal the box!

Seriously though, take an EMR/EMT class at your local Junior College if you can.
Of course any emergency medical training that one can get is helpful.

But, statistically speaking, everyone would be better served to know CPR. (And above all have an AED available!)

As those who have both BLS, (CPR) and ACLS, (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) and work in Level 1 Trauma Centers know, having an AED will save more lives than any other aspect of critical care.

I do not think that anyone should be able to get out of High School without knowing CPR, how to swim, and how to handle a firearm safely.

Of course any emergency medical training that one can get is helpful.

But, statistically speaking, everyone would be better served to know CPR. (And above all have an AED available!)

As those who have both BLS, (CPR) and ACLS, (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) and work in Level 1 Trauma Centers know, having an AED will save more lives than any other aspect of critical care.

I do not think that anyone should be able to get out of High School without knowing CPR, how to swim, and how to handle a firearm safely.
Do you think that a person enlisted in the Marine Corps as a rifleman should be allowed to serve without knowing CPR or be a WSQ-1?

Do you think that a person enlisted in the Marine Corps as a rifleman should be allowed to serve without knowing CPR or be a WSQ-1?
I don't know where you're going with this but, well, I honestly don't have an opinion on it. (Either way, I have a strong suspicion that The Department of the Navy doesn't care what I think anyway.)

I was Navy. But I believe the Marine Corps and Navy take similar approaches to swimming requirements. Both services require a basic swimming competency for all recruits at entry-level training.

It does seem to me that any service might be hurting themselves if they required an equivalent of Marine Corps WSQ-1. I wonder what the drop rate is for USMC WSQ-1?

It's been years, decades actually, but I seem to recall getting CPR in Navy boot, I could be wrong about that though.

What do you think?

Last Edited:
That was a little agitated on my part and I apologize.

You want to know what my gut-shot estimation is for the folks who fail WSQ-1 is? Probably 15-20%.. They are "worked" through Boot camp and pushed out unto the FMF.

And now I'm going to be a racist.... Homeslice from Detroit probably isn't spending His or Her time at the pool getting favorable with "the life aquatic" Sure, there are exceptions.

My surely vague observations after training a battalion of Marines in swim qual is that 15 to 20 percent would not pass without some serious remedial training. It should have been weeded out at MCRD.

When a PFC bails on a jump and grabs the rail and ditches to the hard deck you know.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top