JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been building homes for $40 years... Have never paid $17 for a 2x4 stud. The math is flawed on this example.
I am sure it is, it was probably just a riff on how lumber prices exploded during the pandemic. I am not sure if anywhere saw a 5x increase in prices, but I know around here we saw an almost 3x increase in price over about 6 months before things stabilized a bit and came back down. Not all the way, mind you, inflation is still a massive bubblegum.

Ok ok, it would take 21 Thompsons to buy an average house today. bubblegum sake, we get it.
1714928815923.png

1714928896272.png

Ok ok, it would take 21 Thompsons to buy an average house today. bubblegum sake, we get it.
View attachment 1876227

View attachment 1876228
That wasn't what my initial comment was about at all. I made the comment that the meme was off by an order of magnitude because the cost of a Thompson today was ~2k, and it was made with the reasoning that maybe some people did not know you could by new production today. Furthermore I commented that the comparison to the fully automatic historical examples was a subversion of the trope, but I only made that comment after people said "no way, those photos are identical, so that means we are not making commodity comparisons, but must be talking about specific, fully paper antiques."

This argument makes zero sense to me and I find it incredibly annoying that people are misrepresenting my comments to try to make that argument make sense.

That wasn't what my initial comment was about at all. I made the comment that the meme was off by an order of magnitude because the cost of a Thompson today was ~2k, and it was made with the reasoning that maybe some people did not know you could by new production today. Furthermore I commented that the comparison to the fully automatic historical examples was a subversion of the trope, but I only made that comment after people said "no way, those photos are identical, so that means we are not making commodity comparisons, but must be talking about specific, fully paper antiques."

This argument makes zero sense to me and I find it incredibly annoying that people are misrepresenting my comments to try to make that argument make sense.
Ok, thankyou. You input has been noted and is very valuable. Currently all representatives are assisting other customers. Please leave your message at the beep.

I think people are stating your logic is flawed because the picture doesn't specify a 'new' 2024 Thompson, it shows the exact same Thompson as the one you could buy in 1929. That means, a full auto. To purchase 'that' gun you would need its paperwork. I did a 2 minute google search and found that era rifle for sale for $37,000. Ten of those would indeed buy you an average house in many states.

At this point you're just being laughed at..you know that right? Let it go...

I think people are stating your logic is flawed because the picture doesn't specify a 'new' 2024 Thompson, it shows the exact same Thompson as the one you could buy in 1929. That means, a full auto. To purchase 'that' gun you would need its paperwork. I did a 2 minute google search and found that era rifle for sale for $37,000. Ten of those would indeed buy you an average house in many states.

At this point you're just being laughed at..you know that right? Let it go...
And my pint was that in every other such meme (like the lumber one) the comparison is on a commodity basis, not a specific example. Or are there examples of other such memes that are in the specific instead of the general?

All NFA items are now specific, papered antiques, and that is (part of) the reason they cost so much (the other part being that is the only legal way to get FA anything on account of new production being illegal for general ownership).

But you can get new production commodity Thompsons, and even the unpapered antiques are a fraction of the cost on the dealer market, it is only the paperwork that makes some of them cost so much. I get what the meme was saying, I can laugh and sympathize with the message, I do not understand everyone's motivation to say the meme is accurate.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top