JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just completed the worst FFL transfer ever. I purchased some guns from a member a couple weeks ago. He was coming a substantial distance to my town on a Wednesday which is my FFL dealers day off. My dealer got called away at the last minute and the seller said even though it would cost more let's find another FFL so I won't have to make an extra trip.
We went to Capital Pawn in Albany. After about an hour of them entering information into the computer, including taking selfies of themselves holding the guns, they asked me how I was going to pay. Red flag should have warned me. I said don't I need to fill out the form? They wanted paid before I completed the form. After about an hour and a half, taking the rifles out of the cases 3 times because they needed to check something I asked if we were done. Of course the background check wasn't going through for about a week.
Then they told us the process. The seller has to take the guns back home. When we call that the guns are clear you both come back and we will complete the transaction. We explained that we wanted to leave the guns there. They said they weren't insured for that. We explained the travel situation and they could not change their policy. We wanted to cancel the the transaction which they said they would but we wouldn't get our money back because they had time involved.
Seller was very gracious and said he would drive back up. They called and all was cleared. Met back up. We stood at the counter for 15 or 20 minutes while employees walked right by us. Finally a lady on the other side of the store hollered and asked if we had been helped. They again needed all the guns to recheck serial numbers. They had entered one model numbers wrong and initially said we would have to redue the check.
They finally concluded that everything was good except they would have to run the one gun to be sure it wasn't stolen. Another 15 minutes.

Been to dozens of gun stores and done too many background checks, but never an experience like this. Any of ya'll done checks at a Capital Pawn? Just wondering if they are all like this...well over 2 hour process.
Rant overšŸ˜

Just completed the worst FFL transfer ever. I purchased some guns from a member a couple weeks ago. He was coming a substantial distance to my town on a Wednesday which is my FFL dealers day off. My dealer got called away at the last minute and the seller said even though it would cost more let's find another FFL so I won't have to make an extra trip.
We went to Capital Pawn in Albany. After about an hour of them entering information into the computer, including taking selfies of themselves holding the guns, they asked me how I was going to pay. Red flag should have warned me. I said don't I need to fill out the form? They wanted paid before I completed the form. After about an hour and a half, taking the rifles out of the cases 3 times because they needed to check something I asked if we were done. Of course the background check wasn't going through for about a week.
Then they told us the process. The seller has to take the guns back home. When we call that the guns are clear you both come back and we will complete the transaction. We explained that we wanted to leave the guns there. They said they weren't insured for that. We explained the travel situation and they could not change their policy. We wanted to cancel the the transaction which they said they would but we wouldn't get our money back because they had time involved.
Seller was very gracious and said he would drive back up. They called and all was cleared. Met back up. We stood at the counter for 15 or 20 minutes while employees walked right by us. Finally a lady on the other side of the store hollered and asked if we had been helped. They again needed all the guns to recheck serial numbers. They had entered one model numbers wrong and initially said we would have to redue the check.
They finally concluded that everything was good except they would have to run the one gun to be sure it wasn't stolen. Another 15 minutes.

Been to dozens of gun stores and done too many background checks, but never an experience like this. Any of ya'll done checks at a Capital Pawn? Just wondering if they are all like this...well over 2 hour process.
Rant overšŸ˜
IMHO, that was not a rant.
It was a legit story of a messed-up system and FFL.
Thanks for the warning/ information.

Did one transaction there, won't do another. Wasn't impressed. I get that transfers aren't their bread and butter, but pretend you care and understand you are being paid to provide service. They did not. I'll go to Ticklicker or a kitchen table FFL local to me. No more capital pawnā€¦

I have been at other FFL's that would not store a firearm, especially when background checks were taking weeks or months.

In each case, they were very up-front about it, and gave the customer plenty of warning to go elsewhere for the transfer if they weren't okay with the store policy.

Sounds like a pretty cheap way to learn some potentially expensive lessons about what questions to ask and when in the process to ask them.

You came out ahead! :s0155:

Doing a transfer at Ticklickers tomorrow. Been there many times. Excellent customer service.
I did a transfer there. It got delayed. They held the gun. They were really nice guys to deal with.
When I hear/see "pawn" in an ad, I go elsewhere.
I've had enough positive experiences at pawn shops that understand how to do it, but it only takes one employee to make me sour on the idea of doing another transfer with them.
Some of the pawn shops that used to hold guns have abandoned that practice, though. It truly can be inconvenient.

Looks like the moral of the story is to know your chosen FFLs policies and fees before jumping in with both feet.
And both parties of the sale need to be informed of those policies/fees.
With many FFLs not wanting to hold private sale firearms during the required "hold period" it can be very inconvenient to do an out of town sale.

Doing a transfer at Ticklickers tomorrow. Been there many times. Excellent customer service.
Great meeting you today- and THAT is how a FFL private transfer should be handled by an FFL- always had very fast and effective service at Tick Lickers! What took them all of 5 minutes for us? Hope you got an instant approval and were able to take it home today!

Does sound ridiculously frustrating, especially considering the circumstances with the long drive and all. One thing that would help alleviate a significant portion of that in the future is asking about their holding policy ahead of time.

There are quite a few FFL's these days that won't hold a firearm if a private party transfer is delayed, and with our BGC queues being what they are, it's definitely worth planning for that possibility.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top