JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got scammed with a really good looking fake item on eBay, a box set of DVDs, and I reported it to eBay, and they said everything looked fine to them.

The DVDs are garbage, a lot of them won't play, and the video looks like garbage. Thankfully my credit card will handle the situation, and if eBay won't refund me, the credit card will.

With as good as the fakes looked, I'm wondering how much fake garbage there is out there now? I found a video on the subject, and apparently fake garbage is also being made in the USA, not just China.

With the fake DVDs, they took off the copyright warning, they used single layer DVDs (under 4.7 GB), and they used MacTheRipper to burn the DVDs, which is why the quality is so bad.

Same goes for Amazon for things that aren't "sold by Amazon".

You don't want a seller that charges you 20% restocking and will deduct your shipping label charges from your refund when it arrives in a damaged box and you're questioning it's condition without opening it.

I've been super lucky with eBay over the years, and this is a first for me. Normally I only buy things like car parts and antiques, sometimes some small vender electronics like power supplies.

I can see I'm going to have to be careful about car parts, and small engine parts now.

Same goes for Amazon for things that aren't "sold by Amazon".

You don't want a seller that charges you 20% restocking and will deduct your shipping label charges from your refund when it arrives in a damaged box and you're questioning it's condition without opening it.
"Sold by Amazon" doesn't mean much at all. Amazon is just acting as a logistics provider and is not the actual seller. We did a study at my former employer and purchased 200 phone chargers that were brand named. Turned out that less than 2% were genuine and that several were outright dangerous. We informed Amazon and they responded that they weren't the actual sellers and couldn't control what was sold using their service.

"Sold by Amazon" doesn't mean much at all. Amazon is just acting as a logistics provider and is not the actual seller. We did a study at my former employer and purchased 200 phone chargers that were brand named. Turned out that less than 2% were genuine and that several were outright dangerous. We informed Amazon and they responded that they weren't the actual sellers and couldn't control what was sold using their service.
What you really want to be careful about are lithium ion batteries, because the Chinese will cheap out, and use dangerous materials to separate out the battery cells, which can cause explosions and fires.

China is having real problems with apartment buildings burning down because of poorly made lithium ion batteries.

I wouldn't touch an EV with a 10 foot pole, and thankfully nobody in my neighborhood owns one, because when they burn, they are near impossible to extinguish.

I don't know what happened to ebay or who bought them but ebay is crooked as h*ll. They kept removing my listings for bayonets saying it went against their rules. But there were tons of ebay stores selling bayonets, cheap bayonets, garbage from the far east. Lots of scammers they refuse to do anything about. It seems that alot of these "stores" on ebay are actually ebay stores/or closely connected to ebay. Weird store fronts with names like The Pirate Bay and other 'Bay' names.

There's a store on ebay called vipoutlet, they like to sell dvds listed as other titles than the ones they send you. Their negative feedback says it all, yet ebay doesn't ban them... Just another fake ebay store... If I acted like that they'd ban me immediately or atleast the 3 strikes n' you're out thing.

The seller fees alone drove me away from ebay. They're greedy like poshmark, armslist, gunbroker,.. Lots of sellers on ebay will cancel your sale if the final bid wasn't high enough. Totally against their "rules" but they allow it...................

Found this:

Who Holds the Reins? eBay's Current Ownership Structure

With eBay's founding days long past, who owns and runs this ecommerce behemoth today?

As a public company, eBay doesn't have a single owner. Its shareholders include a mix of institutional investors and funds, such as:

• The Vanguard Group: 11.3%
  • BlackRock Inc.: 8.5%
  • State Street Corporation: 4.7%
  • FMR LLC: 4.1%
eBay founder Pierre Omidyar still owns close to 5% of the company he started out of his living room. But he is no longer involved in eBay's operations.

eBay's Board of Directors is responsible for overseeing the company's strategic direction. As of 2023, the 10 Board members include:

• Thomas Tierney, Chairman
1714026295556.png
  • Jamie Iannone, CEO
1714026250314.png
  • Perry Traquina, former CEO of Wellington Management
1714026211586.png
  • Adriane Brown, Managing Partner of Flying Fish Ventures
1714026172481.png
This experienced leadership team continues to guide eBay forward as it adapts to the ever-changing ecommerce landscape.

Last Edited:
What you really want to be careful about are lithium ion batteries, because the Chinese will cheap out, and use dangerous materials to separate out the battery cells, which can cause explosions and fires.

China is having real problems with apartment buildings burning down because of poorly made lithium ion batteries.

I wouldn't touch an EV with a 10 foot pole, and thankfully nobody in my neighborhood owns one, because when they burn, they are near impossible to extinguish.
Welcome to my entire professional life. Most people have no idea how potentially dangerous LiPo batteries can be. The building fires aren't limited to China. There have been hundreds of structure fires in the US and quite a few deaths, particularly NYC tied to low quality batteries failing while being charged. The issue is serious enough that NYC and LA are looking into banning or heavily regulating e-bikes and other high power storage, battery operated devices.

On the power supply issue - several of the units we found had zero circuitry inside. Just straight wires from the wall socket straight to the device. We started the investigation after a person was killed after plugging their phone in while in a bath tub. I never buy cheap electronics from Amazon or eBay. I'll pay a few extra dollars every time.

eBay is awful for sellers too… at least small, independent ones. They don't actually allow sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers and virtually never take any disciplinary actions against buyers, even though scammy, dishonest buyers are common, as well as people who just win auctions and never pay.

A few examples of problems I've had as a seller and what eBay did:

1. Bidder wins auction, immediately sends message to the effect of, "It's very frustrating but something is wrong with my PayPal, can I pay with a sketchyass check instead?" Never pays, eBay says you can report a non-paying bidder and if they make it a habit of not paying repeatedly, we may suspend their account. I'm not out anything but have to relist the auction a second time.

2. Bidder wins auction, pays. I ship with tracking and insurance. Package arrives, tracking indicates it was placed in their mailbox. 3 weeks later buyer says they never got it. eBay takes their word for it despite tracking. Tells me I either send another item, or refund them… or else they'll refund the buyer and charge me for it. I have no recourse, postal service says insurance doesn't cover this scenario.

3. Lots of buyers just never pay. I suspect this is sometimes because they're auctioning similar items and want to knock the competition out for at least a while. eBay doesn't really punish non-paying buyers. They said it goes on their record and if they do it again too many times too soon, they may take such action as suspend the account.

This suggests to meet that as long as buyers are aholes below a certain threshold, it's just accepted without consequence.

I've been on eBay since 2001.

The last 10 years have been a downward spiral, little things at first. Now eBay is just onerous to deal with. I don't know how there's still people selling on eBay, it's almost not worth it anymore.

I sold $800 worth of items earlier this year, and only received $536 after the fees.

eBay wants to be Amazon. That's why the search results are so full of Chinese garbage, you can't permanently set your account settings to "USA only" for search parameters.....

I've been on eBay since 2001.

The last 10 years have been a downward spiral, little things at first. Now eBay is just onerous to deal with. I don't know how there's still people selling on eBay, it's almost not worth it anymore.

I sold $800 worth of items earlier this year, and only received $536 after the fees.

eBay wants to be Amazon. That's why the search results are so full of Chinese garbage, you can't permanently set your account settings to "USA only" for search parameters.....
Really sad to watch what has happened to what not too long ago was a thriving little operation. It shows just how easy it is to take something great and turn it into 💩 though. I got on there back soon after I first got on the net. At first it was FANTASTIC. I bought a few things I had a hard time finding. Then one day while organizing I came across that box of holsters most who back then had carried for decades had. I started throwing them up on there and all sold easy. Wife had tried one of those Wallet Holsters Galco used to make that the Feds declared one day were now an AOW. She had long given up on it anyway. I put that thing up there with a clear warning that it was no longer allowed to be used as designed and a few people went nuts over it. Such a simple thing anyone could go to Tandy and buy the stuff and make one but it sold for a shocking high amount of money. LONG ago gave up on them with one exception. Mags. Every time I would buy another Ruger pistol for some reason the mags were not to be found anywhere. Ebay for some reason always had them. So each new pistol would have me logging back into my account to buy a dozen mags.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews