JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I know I'm supposed to dry fire to become a better shooter, but it's so freakin' boring. So I've taken up shooting my air pistols right in my office. I've got an Umarex Colt 1911 A1 and a Crosman 1733, both .177. I've got a bullet trap on the other side of the office. Do-All Bullet Box : Cabela's This is SO much more fun than dry firing.

Sure, the trigger isn't quite the same as a real gun, but it feels like I'm building the same muscle memory.

Anyone else do this too?

Scott

ANY shooting is good. I too use an air gun when can't or won't get to range. I well remember when I was a kid and got my first air rifle. I saved and paid. Parents had a hard time getting me to come in the house to eat for weeks. Next time Dad took me to shoot my .22 I out shot him so badly he was very impressed. Any practice is good.

Went out shooting with some friends and one guy had a BB revolver that looked and handled like a Colt Single Action Army ... It was a hoot to shoot.

So much So that I am saving my pennies for one myself.

Air guns can indeed be a good and fun training tool.
Andy

Last Edited:
Well, I have a few 6mm airsoft SIGs, Glocks, M1911s, and a Luger - all with operating blowback actions. I also have a Tanfoglio IPSC and Walther P88 in .177 cal - shooting pellets rather than little white plastic balls. And I have a collection of what I call 'proper' target air pistols of the serious kind.

Depending on how I feel, I shoot most every day - at reactive as well as passive targets. It helps me to remember what I need to remember when shooting a handgun of any kind, since the only kind I can shoot over here is either a kooky-looking .22 or .357/44, or my .44cal BP revolver.

Cheaper, too.

tac

Back to the OP, I have several blowback guns at home, airsoft and BB/Pellet. I have two that weigh about the same and have the same feel as real guns, and yes, while the triggers and the recoil are very different, I do find it helpful with acquiring the sight pictures, getting on target, getting proper point of aim. I don't use them as often as I should, but they are a lot of fun to play with. In addition, I keep an airsoft gun at the ready as my anti-squirrel/anti-starling gun for the bird feeder area - the wife and daughter won't allow me to shoot to kill (well, at least when they're home ;)), so it provides me for some extra fun and practice.

I keep an airsoft gun at the ready as my anti-squirrel/anti-starling gun for the bird feeder area - the wife and daughter won't allow me to shoot to kill (well, at least when they're home ;)), so it provides me for some extra fun and practice.

Seeing as how mrs tac and me loves birdies more than cats, I also use a non-lethal method of dealing with the feline hunters of our 'hood.

A catapult + ice cubes works just fine, and leaves no traces....;)

When THAT fails, I use THIS -

upload_2017-2-1_14-42-49.png

tac

PS - that's not a flash - my eyeballs really ARE that shade of red.....:D:eek:

A catapult + ice cubes works just fine, and leaves no traces....;)

I assume you mean slingshot??:rolleyes: I forget many outside the US refer to them as 'catapults', haven't heard them called that in a while, at least not since I was a regular on Joerg Sprave's Slingshot Channel forum.

Good idea though. I have a rather healthy collection of slingshots/catapults - I'll have to try the ice cube trick.

The word 'catapult' comes from the Latin 'catapulta', which in turn comes from the Ancient Greek καταπέλτης (katapeltēs), itself from (kata), "downwards" + πάλλω (pallō), "to toss, to hurl". Catapults were invented by the ancient Greeks.

With that in mind, I guess that those of us over here in Europe can call it whatever we like.

Just as you, over there, can call it whatever YOU like. :rolleyes:

tac

The word 'catapult' comes from the Latin 'catapulta', which in turn comes from the Ancient Greek καταπέλτης (katapeltēs), itself from (kata), "downwards" + πάλλω (pallō), "to toss, to hurl". Catapults were invented by the ancient Greeks.

With that in mind, I guess that those of us over here in Europe can call it whatever we like.

Just as you, over there, can call it whatever YOU like. :rolleyes:

tac
You were just waiting for the situation to come up for you to say that weren't you?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top