JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This month's Concealed Carry Magazine is devoted to personal defense in and around vehicles. While reading it I realized that in the 60 hours of formal defensive handgun training I've taken I've trained to draw from a seated position, but never to draw while seated in my vehicle with seatbelt fastened. Today I unloaded my gun, triple checked it clear, and proceeded to practice a few dozen draws under these specific circumstances. It was eye-opening!

The biggest takeaway for me was that while training to engage a threat approaching the passenger side I could easily put both hands on the gun while leaning into my seat with my right shoulder, but with a passenger seated next to me that is not possible without putting him or her in danger. After working through this, I realized that to engage a threat on that side with a passenger present I will need to lean forward, and draw and fire with one hand. Keep in mind that I am right-handed, so that is the perspective I'm sharing from here.

There were other things I quickly recognized as well, but this was the big one that I didn't expect and I'm interested to hear what others may have experienced and learned while training in this way, and I'm hoping that this thread encourages you to do so if you haven't already embraced this reality!

Appendix carry is great for access in the vehicle. Being a lefty has its benefits as well as its downsides. Clearing the garment after getting buckled in is key.

If I'm in the car though my foot is going to smash the gas pedal. If they get into the vehicle that's a different story.

Situational awareness is key.

Last Edited:
Stationary, most seat/shoulder belt combos will allow the person to move within its confines.

I both lean forward and across the passenger.

If the pistol is hard to access, and get the all important proper grip...try appendix.

I too am right handed, I travel with a small J frame sized revolver in a Wilderness Force Option holster tucked under my left leg. It allows easy access, and a much faster unobstructed draw, with much less bulk in the hand.

We're talking about bad breath distance, and revolvers shine in this area.

Especially for longer drives I use a separate "close quarter" firearm with appropriate close quarter rounds in a horizontal draw belt wrap and snap around holster. I typically leave it exposed, but it's easy enough to flip a shirt over it when appropriate (IE., a traffic stop).

It has a limited capacity, but requires... essentially... no body movement whatsoever to draw and is single hand manageable. Basically, allowing me a quicker response time without any sudden movements which may "trigger" an armed assailant. Allowing for an effective defense and time to go for my main EDC, if needed.

Also... it's just much more comfortable for extended driving than other carry methods.

I used to use an under leg holster, but there is always that transition just to step out of your vehicle to take a leak, grab a coffee or other. The "driving holster"... I don't have to think about it, it maintains a fixed location and is more conducive to muscle memory development than an under leg holster. They "can" have a tendency to shift. Not exactly the most comfortable for long drives either. Not that you can get used to it, but the question remains, "why?"... if you don't have to. ;)

For me, the other thought was to avoid that potentially awkward moment when a LEO might ask you to exit your vehicle... and you've got a holstered firearm left laying on the seat.😁

YMMV

I still have my vehicle carry holster that I have used in the past but if I have an accident or something the vehicle holster may fly out. I carry at 3:30 position. if I wear a jacket I keep it unzipped and I adjust my jacket so I could draw quite rapidly. It would be nice have car carry holster that the weapon either striker fire or manual safety is totally secure.

Ahhh... a commando driver. :D
1701579482812.jpeg

Thats how you avoid tickets..no leo can look you in the eyes while you got a rager...jokes aside.. vehicle magnets.
No way in hell am I using a magnet to secure a firearm. My gun sits in the same place it does whether I'm driving or walking around.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top