JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw the proof left on the ground, but didn't bother to photograph it.
That bear is smelling something in path. The habitat looks strikingly similar to here in NC. It's not a big bear if you scale the shoulder to measure. Perhaps mama's doodie scent trail. I have a micro-climate of sorts. The rugged contours and uninterrupted wilderness are prefered by the bear. It's on the precipice of the Alleghany County, NC mountains and the plateau below. The vertical drop to the lateral run is sudden. At my place it's 1800' drop in about 3000' of run. Beautiful place to live.

I haven't bow hunted in quite a number of years. When I did, I carried a handgun. Now, even when carrying a modern firearm, I also carry a handgun.
It might be that it's also fisherman sometimes being attacked by black bears, in B.C. anyway. Crouching by the side of a stream, messing around in their tackle box? Easy prey. Read a lengthy article on that, some time ago. Lucky for me, my knees make crouching nearly impossible these days.

I haven't bow hunted in quite a number of years. When I did, I carried a handgun. Now, even when carrying a modern firearm, I also carry a handgun.
It might be that it's also fisherman sometimes being attacked by black bears, in B.C. anyway. Crouching by the side of a stream, messing around in their tackle box? Easy prey. Read a lengthy article on that, some time ago. Lucky for me, my knees make crouching nearly impossible these days.
I see that some things are the same on the west coast. I was trout fishing from behind a rock, using the rock as a blind and a black bear come lumbering down towards the other side of the hole. The wind changed and he "winded" me. I was well concealed and he acted calm . He walked off staying at the same elevation as me all the while keeping an eye out. I measured his foot pads at 7". Not big not small. All I had was a 357 loaded with the hottest load available at the time. It provided comfort enough. I knew the two speedloaders on each side of my belt buckle wouldn't help in that situation, not enough time. And besides they were intended for a sustained defense from 2-legged varmits. I can dump and reload on the run but as you see I used the past tense. Modern times require modern responses. It's not modern but it's a mag fed weapon and with extensions the 1911 .45acp is still the cannon it was when I carried the service pistol model. It has been delegated to the role of hunting/fishing defense for emergencies only. Lots of rabies and wildlife here in NC mountains. When the two combine its extra dangerous. One has to keep an eye out. The rushing water cancels out some of the ambient sounds.

Don't be the next statistic killed by a cougar or other threat.
There have been only 27 fatal attacks by cougars in ALL OF NORTH AMERICA since 1868. More than half of them were small children who were not attended by adults. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

TV news puts these stories on to terrify old ladies so they will get relief by buying useless things they don't need advertised on their commercials. THEY HAVE NO BASIS IN REALITY.

"Don't be the next statistic killed while walking across the street." THOUSANDS of pedestrian deaths per year. More than 1 every 2 hours in the U.S.

How about "Don't be the next dumb macho meathead driving an overpowered, excessively large, and expensively inefficient vehicle to compensate for emotional and physical insecurity at the risk of killing people they can't see." https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/vehicle-height-pedestrian-fatal-crash-emh4ccfv

Your conceal carry won't protect your kid from running out in front of your extended cab monster with the MAGA sticker and the cajones hanging in the back.

I seldom carried a handgun when rifle or shotgun hunting but always carried a handgun when archery hunting. Always carry a handgun when fishing, especially in rattlesnake country.

There have been only 27 fatal attacks by cougars in ALL OF NORTH AMERICA since 1868. More than half of them were small children who were not attended by adults. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

TV news puts these stories on to terrify old ladies so they will get relief by buying useless things they don't need advertised on their commercials. THEY HAVE NO BASIS IN REALITY.

"Don't be the next statistic killed while walking across the street." THOUSANDS of pedestrian deaths per year. More than 1 every 2 hours in the U.S.

How about "Don't be the next dumb macho meathead driving an overpowered, excessively large, and expensively inefficient vehicle to compensate for emotional and physical insecurity at the risk of killing people they can't see." https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/vehicle-height-pedestrian-fatal-crash-emh4ccfv

Your conceal carry won't protect your kid from running out in front of your extended cab monster with the MAGA sticker and the cajones hanging in the back.
Sounds like you need a hug.

I feel sorry for individuals like you. Perhaps it's your reality that needs to be in question. This is a peaceful forum for intelligent people to discuss opinions and preferences. There are plenty of biased, liberal websites that allow petty name calling and transparent use of words attempting to distort the readers thoughts . Go join one of them and leave those of us that believe America is great and don't need to italicized the driving points to make their point understood. It's a shame that I freely chose to address one individuals poor opinion than a groups freedom to think freely. I know what's confusing you; the word "free". I love my country. If anyone has the right to be bitter bout freedoms it's the American Indian of which I am proud to say, I am. We could be saying "all uall get out". What good would that do?

As my Father used to say;
Figures lie, and liars figure.

Sounds like you need a bear hug.

Sounds like you need a bear hug.

That's closer to the truth than you may think. I am known to some as 2Bears. A name given to me by a Caucasian farmer. It too has a relative meaning. Very funny though

I am known as half-breed! A name given to me by a farmer also, I don't think he every did know my real name
I've heard them all too. In the corps it was "Injun". Now it goes from Chief to Bear.(a few tried squaw, but only once)Not far off the mark since I own a decent size piece of bear habitat which adjoins other conservancy owned lands. My private road sign and property is listed as Old Indian Trail. I did the legwork to get it listed as such. Its not original. I found a map from a county next that had an obscure map showing a dotted line labeled "Old Indian Trail ". Later maps showed improvements from wagon trail to a 4WD road. It was the original road up the mountain from present day Surry County, NC to Alleghany County,NC. I have a cabin in the woods. One way in one way out. Mountain springs and wildlife abound! I love to share with those that appreciate mother nature as untouched as I could make it for the last 26 years. It has suffered County line changes, which was "undetermined" until 15 years ago. By the way.the old road has been bulldozed shut leaving only a blackberry lined 4wd trail to my cabin. If you're ever in the area go to Foxhunters Paradise overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway. My place is on the precipice between the two counties. I would offer a personal showing but with todays deviants I don't trust blindly.

Don't be the next statistic killed by a cougar or other threat.
Yes I do. I have been in many bazar situations where my life was in jeopardy.
Several men thought it would be a good idea to get over me and take all I had. Some bangers thought to take me ang my van and tools. While bow hunting, men with firearms thought I was vulnerable. Large mamal(s)) are out there that can rip your arm off, or head. I reflected on that after a really enlightening experience. Im sitting here with a stick with a point. Even if I score a hit, I can be killed before my attacker bleeds out. So I carried concealed in bow season. But anytime in the woods I carried a 454 Casull. That will do the job with authority.
Not many have had the many freak encounters I have had. I used to be in remote areas. I worked in bad parts of town and assaulted. So I ask that you take it to heart that your not always the apex predator. Your often out numbered, out gunned. Fix it.

Yes I do. I have been in many bazar situations where my life was in jeopardy.
Several men thought it would be a good idea to get over me and take all I had. Some bangers thought to take me ang my van and tools. While bow hunting, men with firearms thought I was vulnerable. Large mamal(s)) are out there that can rip your arm off, or head. I reflected on that after a really enlightening experience. Im sitting here with a stick with a point. Even if I score a hit, I can be killed before my attacker bleeds out. So I carried concealed in bow season. But anytime in the woods I carried a 454 Casull. That will do the job with authority.
Not many have had the many freak encounters I have had. I used to be in remote areas. I worked in bad parts of town and assaulted. So I ask that you take it to heart that your not always the apex predator. Your often out numbered, out gunned. Fix it.
You and I both have faced being humanly outnumbered in the remote wilderness. Deliberately miles away from the nearest established road. They knew I went in and were waiting on me 2 days later carrying deer hams in my pack, crossbow(awesomely lethal but hard to reload running), and two 45s(theres a strategy in that also). I surmised an ambush so I was expecting and took the high road out, waited for the liquor to run out about dark they went for a refill. Meanwhile 45s and I slipped down to my little truck and puttered right by their wide eyes and open mouths. They never touched the truck! No confrontation required. Keeps a man out of the clink. Right or wrong. Trash will be trash. America, let's take out the trash 1 American 1 vote. Naturalized. Documented. Otherwise legally here. Bring your ID to the polls so it can be checked against the ledger vote. Every allowance made for the homebound ,blind, or otherwise unable to travel. I believe in an allowance to use the local public ,taxpayer subsidized transportation system. 1 American, 1 vote. No exceptions

So you don't carry a handgun. If so, do you leave it in the vehicle while "hunting"?
What about the primitive hunter? Here in NC there is 2+ months of deer season for primitive only. Then a black powder then the hi-powered rifle season. The dangers don't attack by seasons. The 2-legged dangers either. Defending ones self with a hi-powered rifle is problematic. They are often bolt action or single shot. Some have a capacity of 3. Are you a gun control farce in sheep's clothing? I ask because it sounds like your hedging around the AR hubbub. Your question appears disgenuine. Wanting any answer that fits your agenda. Your retort is suspect.

What about the primitive hunter? Here in NC there is 2+ months of deer season for primitive only. Then a black powder then the hi-powered rifle season. The dangers don't attack by seasons. The 2-legged dangers either. Defending ones self with a hi-powered rifle is problematic. They are often bolt action or single shot. Some have a capacity of 3. Are you a gun control farce in sheep's clothing? I ask because it sounds like your hedging around the AR hubbub. Your question appears disgenuine. Wanting any answer that fits your agenda. Your retort is suspect.
You should read what he was responding to...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top