JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And while we're at it , what is the point of the neutral feedback option? Is this some Swiss joke that I'm never going to " get"?
I'm guessing that was for situations such as when you work something out with someone, who had earned negative feedback, just enough to back out the negative feedback. You came to a satisfactory agreement in the end but want the information about the transaction to be seen so that buyers can do their due dillegence when dealing with someone who may not always be fully upfront about their sales, but not quite deceitful.

I'm guessing that was for situations such as when you work something out with someone, who had earned negative feedback, just enough to back out the negative feedback. You came to a satisfactory agreement in the end but want the information about the transaction to be seen so that buyers can do their due dillegence when dealing with someone who may not always be fully upfront about their sales, but not quite deceitful.
Right on. I've bought stuff from that dude. More than once, but never the same individual.

BTW. Nice hat!
s-l1600-6.jpg

Especially when a newish member, feedback was important to me. I always do my best to be a good buyer/seller/trader and feedback is a very good way to "prove" that to the other party. To this day I mention that I'll leave feedback and always do on here. (On fleabay I'm almost past caring)

I will say that feedback should not be able to be withdrawn, with a few rare exceptions. I think the current feedback system, with allowances for replies, is a good thing.
Party A not posting feedback doesn't help Party B, but it doesn't harm him either. On every member profile page is a link to the feedback left for transactions with other members. Others can still see at least one side of the transaction and without any contradicting comments, could easily assume that the transaction went as described. I think there is value to that.

Especially when a newish member, feedback was important to me. I always do my best to be a good buyer/seller/trader and feedback is a very good way to "prove" that to the other party. To this day I mention that I'll leave feedback and always do on here. (On fleabay I'm almost past caring)

I will say that feedback should not be able to be withdrawn, with a few rare exceptions. I think the current feedback system, with allowances for replies, is a good thing.
Party A not posting feedback doesn't help Party B, but it doesn't harm him either. On every member profile page is a link to the feedback left for transactions with other members. Others can still see at least one side of the transaction and without any contradicting comments, could easily assume that the transaction went as described. I think there is value to that.
Absolutely agree.
One thing I try to mention from time to time in "Feedback" discussions is that the "Neutral" feedback choice should be used more often. It's not right to give a negative review because a would be buyer/seller didn't get back to you when no solid plans had been made.

It's not right to give a negative review because a would be buyer/seller didn't get back to you when no solid plans had been made.
Key here "when no solid plans had been made". That's a big tipping point between Neutral and Negative. There can often be several "deals" being negotiated between a seller and several prospective buyers. If the seller doesn't respond when engaged in those negotiations, it's pretty inconsiderate, but that's about it.
However a flake out after a deal has been made is another story.

Absolutely agree.
One thing I try to mention from time to time in "Feedback" discussions is that the "Neutral" feedback choice should be used more often. It's not right to give a negative review because a would be buyer/seller didn't get back to you when no solid plans had been made.
Not that "neutral" shouldn't be used more, but to be honest, I don't really understand when it's appropriate and haven't use it.

I guess I've been more prone to ask myself a few questions and if I don't feel entirely good about a deal, I elect not to leave feedback... vs... maybe a neutral might have been appropriate(?)

An example case where I considered it and see what folks think. An agreement was made to meet at a business. I was there early, assuming we were meeting in the parking lot... because I was raised that it's bad form to conduct private business within another man's place of business. Especially "taboo" when that business is directly related to another man's livelihood. I didn't know or recognize the seller, but turns out I watched him arrive a few minutes late and walk into the business. He didn't look around as if he might be meeting someone and I assumed he was just a customer of the business. As I usually do... I was out of my vehicle standing idle to be clearly visible and appear to be waiting. As I usually do, I had also given him a description of my vehicle to look out for. It's hard to miss.

Not even 30sec's later I get a text that I'm late and he's waiting for me at the counter. Ok... no biggy. I go in and he's clearly agitated "I'm" late. Fine. "Sorry about the misunderstanding". I was buying a 22lr handgun slide and a couple mags for it off him. I open the case and the mags are loaded with obviously very old and crusty ammo of various mixed brands and types. No biggy, but I ejected all the rounds and handed them to the guy so I could inspect the mags. He seemed a bit "put off" that I was trying to return the ammo he was giving me. (Maybe he thought he was doing me a favor and sweetening the deal??). Whatever.... "Thanks, but no thank you."

I check the upper and there's a squib in the barrel. It's not an easy to find upper, the price was very attractive and close examination of the barrel it appeared not to have been affected. I had no way to spec it, but noting the crap ammo that was in the mags... likely not an upper issue... it was in very good condition otherwise... so decided to risk it. I didn't gripe or comment. I realized I was assuming a little risk, but that was "my" choice and nothing on him. Just paid him the full agreed upon price and left.

Got it home, cleaned it up, spec'd it, test fired it and everything checked out.

I can't say I was "happy" with the way or the tone of the meet up. Part of that was maybe on me for not clarifying where to meet, I guess. Previously, every deal I had ever done where we were meeting in public it had always been in the parking lot. I didn't appreciate a mix match of crusty old live ammo in the mags and certainly thought bringing me an upper with a squib in the barrel was a bit over the top... however... in the grand scheme... he did show up reasonably on time (it's not like we synced up our watches and minor delays do happen), the upper ultimately turned out to be as described and the price was more than fair.

Feedback. I wasn't quite sure what to do. I didn't feel "good" about leaving positive, but he didn't actually do anything dishonest, misrepresent what he had or really do anything grossly out of line. Certainly not worthy of a negative. Some folks can come off a bit "a-holey", but I have a thick skin, rarely ever offended and I don't believe most people present that type of attitude intentionally. Although, I know "I" project that attitude sometimes, but it's always intentional, typically sarcastic and almost always with a smile and a bit of humor behind it.🤣

I got exactly what I wanted at a price I was happy to pay, but just wasn't overjoyed at the way it went down and personally considered live ammo and a squib a bit of a faux pas on his part, but that's just my opinion. I don't remember reading any rules against it. So... is that a neutral??

Ultimately, I let it simmer a bit and still not sure what to do, I did nothing. No feedback left.

Last Edited:
Ultimately, I let it simmer a bit and still not sure what to do, I did nothing. No feedback left.
That's probably the route I would have taken. Couldn't care less about the crusty ammo in the magazines, but that squib in the barrel - UGH! As long as he didn't make a big deal out of you being "late" after you told him you had actually arrived before him, I'd let that slide as well, but that squib in the barrel - UGH! I would find it impossible to give positive feedback. I wouldn't blame a guy for giving neutral feedback because of the squib in the barrel - UGH! But that's not what I would have done. And, I wouldn't blame others on the forum for reading this and thinking - "Geez, I'd like to have had some sort of warning about watching this guy closely. He should have gotten some sort of non-positive feedback."

Not that "neutral" shouldn't be used more, but to be honest, I don't really understand when it's appropriate and haven't use it.

I guess I've been more prone to ask myself a few questions and if I don't feel entirely good about a deal, I elect not to leave feedback... vs... maybe a neutral might have been appropriate(?)

An example case where I considered it and see what folks think. An agreement was made to meet at a business. I was there early, assuming we were meeting in the parking lot... because I was raised that it's bad form to conduct private business within another man's place of business. Especially "taboo" when that business is directly related to another man's livelihood. I didn't know or recognize the seller, but turns out I watched him arrive a few minutes late and walk into the business. He didn't look around as if he might be meeting someone and I assumed he was just a customer of the business. As I usually do... I was out of my vehicle standing idle to be clearly visible and appear to be waiting. As I usually do, I had also given him a description of my vehicle to look out for. It's hard to miss.

Not even 30sec's later I get a text that I'm late and he's waiting for me at the counter. Ok... no biggy. I go in and he's clearly agitated "I'm" late. Fine. "Sorry about the misunderstanding". I was buying a 22lr handgun slide and a couple mags for it off him. I open the case and the mags are loaded with obviously very old and crusty ammo of various mixed brands and types. No biggy, but I ejected all the rounds and handed them to the guy so I could inspect the mags. He seemed a bit "put off" that I was trying to return the ammo he was giving me. (Maybe he thought he was doing me a favor and sweetening the deal??). Whatever.... "Thanks, but no thank you."

I check the upper and there's a squib in the barrel. It's not an easy to find upper, the price was very attractive and close examination of the barrel it appeared not to have been affected. I had no way to spec it, but noting the crap ammo that was in the mags... likely not an upper issue... it was in very good condition otherwise... so decided to risk it. I didn't gripe or comment. I realized I was assuming a little risk, but that was "my" choice and nothing on him. Just paid him the full agreed upon price and left.

Got it home, cleaned it up, spec'd it, test fired it and everything checked out.

I can't say I was "happy" with the way or the tone of the meet up. Part of that was maybe on me for not clarifying where to meet, I guess. Previously, every deal I had ever done where we were meeting in public it had always been in the parking lot. I didn't appreciate a mix match of crusty old live ammo in the mags and certainly thought bringing me an upper with a squib in the barrel was a bit over the top... however... in the grand scheme... he did show up reasonably on time (it's not like we synced up our watches and minor delays do happen), the upper ultimately turned out to be as described and the price was more than fair.

Feedback. I wasn't quite sure what to do. I didn't feel "good" about leaving positive, but he didn't actually do anything dishonest, misrepresent what he had or really do anything grossly out of line. Certainly not worthy of a negative. Some folks can come off a bit "a-holey", but I have a thick skin, rarely ever offended and I don't believe most people present that type of attitude intentionally. Although, I know "I" project that attitude sometimes, but it's always intentional, typically sarcastic and almost always with a smile and a bit of humor behind it.🤣

I got exactly what I wanted at a price I was happy to pay, but just wasn't overjoyed at the way it went down and personally considered live ammo and a squib a bit of a faux pas on his part, but that's just my opinion. I don't remember reading any rules against it. So... is that a neutral??

Well, let me ask, is it common for you to end up in situations that have no clear answer to the whys, what-for's and what the hells? :D Ish....I may or may not have done what you did. But definitely wouldn't have left a negative. And see no reason to have left neutral. I'd say the guy might of been one of folks that are somewhat of a slob to leave grungy ammo in the mags. Those of us in their late '50s- 60s + need to consider that common courtesy and face to face communication doesn't seem to be practiced by 90% of the population anymore.

I had a guy some years ago that I met at his place of business. Nice guy, had a bunch of cool stuff in the shop to talk about. He was just getting into reloading so we talked about that. And then came out that he was a raving mad progressive and TRUMP was the ruination of democracy in this country!!!! I couldn't agree with him and asked what he thought about this or that and he ended up raving. And I said I'd better go now and think about your feedback. Went out to the car and drove away. I think he was still yelling as I was pulling out of the lot. I left a positive revue. Nothing nice, or gushing about what a great meet and transaction or anything. He left me nothing. I think dood was on something. Something where you have no appetite, and stay awake for a long time. :rolleyes:

I may or may not have done what you did. But definitely wouldn't have left a negative. And see no reason to have left neutral.
Hypothetically, I can see where someone else could have left a negative. IE., I drove all the way over, the guy was late, rude and tried to sell me a "like new" upper with a squib in it.

I mean... there was a risk the barrel was bulged or otherwise compromised. The likelihood with a 22lf is slim and "probably" just a single defunct round, but you don't know if that was a one off squib or the barrel was defective and it had happened repeatedly, right?

I think there are a fair number of people that might have walked away from it and I don't know if I would think them overly unjustified. Perception and personal experience does factor.

Absolutely agree.
Even if those solid plans include "I'll take it!"?

Even if those solid plans include "I'll take it!"?
Well, in my one case, the guy said, "If it's still available I'll take it", and never called/messaged after I said "Cool, give me an idea of a possible time and day for you and we'll work something out. I'm retired so have a lot of open time".....Crickets ==== Neutral Feedback stating the guy may be a flake for never getting back to me after saying he'd take it. It was no sweat off my back. so no negative feedback.

Hypothetically, I can see where someone else could have left a negative. IE., I drove all the way over, the guy was late, rude and tried to sell me a "like new" upper with a squib in it.

I mean... there was a risk the barrel was bulged or otherwise compromised. The likelihood with a 22lf is slim and "probably" just a single defunct round, but you don't know if that was a one off squib or the barrel was defective and it had happened repeatedly, right?

I think there are a fair number of people that might have walked away from it and I don't know if I would think them overly unjustified. Perception and personal experience does factor.
I can't disagree with you.

The nice thing about the feedback system here is you have room to tell the story. In this case a positive definitely wasn't warranted, but neutral or negative?? I would say that had the squib been a deal-breaker then negative feedback would have been right since "Like new" is a long ways from having a squib in the barrel, plus the attitude. Since you were willing to accept it with the squib then negative is no longer appropriate so neutral it is. Along with the neutral feedback you can explain exactly why you left it. No one ever reads the positive feedback but your neutral may get seen by someone and help them make an informed decision whether to deal with this person or not.

The nice thing about the feedback system here is you have room to tell the story. In this case a positive definitely wasn't warranted, but neutral or negative?? I would say that had the squib been a deal-breaker then negative feedback would have been right since "Like new" is a long ways from having a squib in the barrel, plus the attitude. Since you were willing to accept it with the squib then negative is no longer appropriate so neutral it is. Along with the neutral feedback you can explain exactly why you left it. No one ever reads the positive feedback but your neutral may get seen by someone and help them make an informed decision whether to deal with this person or not.
This:
and the price was more than fair
may be why a guy wouldn't give neutral or negative feedback.

In the end, I guess if you're happy with the deal, you're happy with the deal. :s0092:

I do agree that you're not doing the rest of the forum participants any favors though. It's a tough call in my mind.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top