JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's my '68 Colt NM sporting the Ace 22lr conversion.

colt 22 001.JPG

Back when the first load of these went out, I was on the CMP web site, looking at pictures guys were posting of examples received. I wasn't impressed. After all, there is a big difference between one those surplused out in the 1950's and these Anniston warehoused guns. The difference being decades of extra service and wear and tear, even if rebuilt. The FOIA request? My impression is that kind of data only started being recorded with the advent of widespread use of computers; manual records from truly historic periods even if they exist are not normally accessible.

Yes, the CMP will sell these out. People want WW2 era stuff, when that particular obsession will wear off is anyone's guess. But the buyers of WW2 stuff consist of those who know and those who don't know. No doubt many of these will be flipped, there is always the "greater fool" theory.

If a buyer wants something truly WW2 collectible, they are better off paying more money for a higher condition, more original piece that doesn't come from this sale. If they just want a clunker shooter, buy a 1911 clone from the Philippines for less than the CMP guns.

My personal feeling is that buying one of these pistols from the CMP doesn't give it any special imprimatur.

I went through AIIT at Anniston and spend a lot of time in that arms depot. I have no problem seeing how those guns could be cleaned , not necessarily shot, to the end of their useful lives.

Who here remembers when they were 25 bucks?? Passin' big-time ...
(no I didn't read the whole 7-page thread)
I don't recall that, and I'm in my 70's. But having collected old guns for over 50 years makes buying almost anything these days tougher. Remembering what certain guns used to cost always affects my purchases these days. I look at guns I bought for $150-$200 back decades ago, and see similar guns today at $2k-$3k, and just shake my head. I still buy guns for my collection, but it's a lot fewer, and a lot tougher to fork out what most cost now.

I often feel the same, until I remember that a dollar isn't always a dollar. When I punch the numbers into an inflation calculator, I realize that things haven't changed near as much as it seems.

What I paid for something 30 years ago is completely irrelevant. That $200 I paid for a gun back then is equivalent to about $430 now. On top of that, my income was extremely low back then, so I personally can probably better afford $1000 now, than I could $200 back then.

It's easy to get hung up on numbers, and miss the bigger picture.

I'm old enough to remember the first issue of the 1022 and it was 69.95 for the carbine and 79.95 for the monte carlo stock version.

Now it's, what?, over 300?

Jack
Probably. And often now accompanied with a plastic stock, compared to nice wood back then. Wonder how much an injection molded plastic stock costs Ruger to make on a high production run rifle like the 10/22, compared to a finished wood stock?

Last Edited:
Received my FOIA request back from the Navy today.

My 1911A1 was issued to the Lafayette Class ballistic missile submarine USS Alexander Hamilton (SSBN-617) until her decommissioning in February 1993.

Following that, it was transferred back to Naval Surface Warfare Center in Crane, Indiana, then on to TACOM in Anniston, Alabama, and then finally out of the DoD to the CMP........then to me. :D

-E-

I often feel the same, until I remember that a dollar isn't always a dollar. When I punch the numbers into an inflation calculator, I realize that things haven't changed near as much as it seems.

What I paid for something 30 years ago is completely irrelevant. That $200 I paid for a gun back then is equivalent to about $430 now. On top of that, my income was extremely low back then, so I personally can probably better afford $1000 now, than I could $200 back then.

It's easy to get hung up on numbers, and miss the bigger picture.
Keep in mind the CPI is heavily skewed towards food products and factory farms and food manufacturing techniques have pretty much decimated that model. Apples and oranges . $2500 in 1970 money is more like $40K in 2023 dollars. I do essentially the same job my dad did in 1973 and I make about 10X as much and have essentially the same standard of living.

I've always related gun purchasing power to monthly income, and this hasn't changed much for over a century. Back in the late 1800's a quality lever action rifle, single shot rifle, or handgun cost the average worker a month's pay. So today's prices are actually a bargain compared to new prices back then.
But collectible firearms defy this theory, as if those same old guns that cost $20 in the 1800's are still around for sale today, they often sell for well over a month's pay now. I see numerous late 1800's collector guns selling for $5k-$25k, depending on make, model, condition, and collector interest.

I've always related gun purchasing power to monthly income, and this hasn't changed much for over a century. Back in the late 1800's a quality lever action rifle, single shot rifle, or handgun cost the average worker a month's pay. So today's prices are actually a bargain compared to new prices back then.
But collectible firearms defy this theory, as if those same old guns that cost $20 in the 1800's are still around for sale today, they often sell for well over a month's pay now. I see numerous late 1800's collector guns selling for $5k-$25k, depending on make, model, condition, and collector interest.
A colt still costs an ounce of gold

I don't recall that, and I'm in my 70's. But having collected old guns for over 50 years makes buying almost anything these days tougher. Remembering what certain guns used to cost always affects my purchases these days. I look at guns I bought for $150-$200 back decades ago, and see similar guns today at $2k-$3k, and just shake my head. I still buy guns for my collection, but it's a lot fewer, and a lot tougher to fork out what most cost now.
I was told (and possibly read somewhere as well) that in the early '60s – so hearsay – that they "used to be $25 from CMP." I believe that was closer to WW2, i.e. 1950s, early '60s.

Yes, and the "what things used to cost" affects a lot of things I do. It's fun to tell teenagers the low, low prices we experienced ....

I was told (and possibly read somewhere as well) that in the early '60s – so hearsay – that they "used to be $25 from CMP." I believe that was closer to WW2, i.e. 1950s, early '60s.

Yes, and the "what things used to cost" affects a lot of things I do. It's fun to tell teenagers the low, low prices we experienced ....
The CMP was chartered in 1996.

Before that was The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) created by Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations.

You were able to purchase M1 Service rifles from the DCM after having gone thru one of their courses. I took one of their courses at Douglas Ridge in 1990 and later purchased my first M1, but even then, I remember it being a $200-$300 bill.

-E-

The CMP was chartered in 1996.

Before that was The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) created by Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations.

You were able to purchase M1 Service rifles from the DCM after having gone thru one of their courses. I took one of their courses at Douglas Ridge in 1990 and later purchased my first M1, but even then, I remember it being a $200-$300 bill.

-E-
Thank you for the info!

I seem to recall the man who first told me about "25 buck USG 1911s" used the words "the Civilian Marksmanship Program," so I assumed it was always just "CMP."

A colt still costs an ounce of gold
Maybe a new Colt SAA is equal to today's $2000 oz. gold price, but not any that are older. Most 2nd Gen SAA, and every early SAA will cost many times the price of an ounce of gold!

Maybe a new Colt SAA is equal to today's $2000 oz. gold price, but not any that are older. Most 2nd Gen SAA, and every early SAA will cost many times the price of an ounce of gold!
OK, new colt SAA cost an ounce of gold in 1889 and a new Colt SAA costs an ounce of gold now.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top